Modern wars

obyknven

Even if they lack the infantry needed to support the tanks they still could have manned the heavy machine guns on top of the turrets of the T-72's; they're there for a reason. The reason is in tight urban areas the main gun of the tank can't aim high enough to take out insurgents armed with anti tank weaponry, and they cant see anything. The machine gun gunner can be used as an observer.

They're little more than canned meat in those tanks blindly and very ineffectively firing into random buildings, they would definitely need infantry to take out the anti tank gunners and observers to give the tanks targets and  to direct fire.

Those tanks are still pretty cool though. :w00t:

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Quite the excitable bunch, aren't they? 

I thought you said you were American, old boy?

EDIT:

Watching that video, while sympathising with the poor terrified bastards I did think "Is that T72 trolling by making smoke like that?"

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 2 weeks later...

I must be getting cynical. My first thought was "I wonder how much go missing from a dump just before it 'all' gets destroyed in a detonation."

:)

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I must be getting cynical. My first thought was "I wonder how much go missing from a dump just before it 'all' gets destroyed in a detonation."

In the memoirs of a UH-1 pilot who served in Vietnam, "Chickenhawks", the supply sergeants of his regiment often distributed surplus gear to the men. However, the Army being as tightfisted as it was, nonetheless demanded what was the fate of the gear that had gone missing. This conundrum was solved whenever a helicopter was shot down, as the supply sergeants would say that the missing inventory had gone down with the aircraft. One report had said five tons of equipment had been lost with one Huey; the Huey has a nominal load of one ton.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

In the memoirs of a UH-1 pilot who served in Vietnam, "Chickenhawks", the supply sergeants of his regiment often distributed surplus gear to the men. However, the Army being as tightfisted as it was, nonetheless demanded what was the fate of the gear that had gone missing. This conundrum was solved whenever a helicopter was shot down, as the supply sergeants would say that the missing inventory had gone down with the aircraft. One report had said five tons of equipment had been lost with one Huey; the Huey has a nominal load of one ton.

Heh. Good book, Chickenhawk. I love the description of how to fly a helicopter at the beginning.

-Elwood Blues

• 4 weeks later...

Putin's Russia need fear no concrete block, twenty feet away.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

I thought it was pretty funny that it was a test fired from a static plane suspended 2 feet off the ground. I wonder what they were testing, that things still explode?

My money's on a private firing.

Plane's an old Frogfoot, hung up on chains, in weird looking colours. Don't know what that missile is, but anything legit would be rigged to travel further before exploding. And that target looks pretty much pointless. No measuring devices, place looks like a  junkyard more than a firing range.

-Elwood Blues

I thought it was pretty funny that it was a test fired from a static plane suspended 2 feet off the ground. I wonder what they were testing, that things still explode?

Plane's an old Frogfoot, hung up on chains, in weird looking colours. Don't know what that missile is, but anything legit would be rigged to travel further before exploding. And that target looks pretty much pointless. No measuring devices, place looks like a  junkyard more than a firing range.

Su-34 Fullback strike fighter actually from the looks of it (side-by-side pilot/co-pilot cackpit, nose that looks like a platypus').

And when has the Russian aerospace been known for exceptional OSHA compliance?  :biggrin:

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Su-34 Fullback strike fighter actually from the looks of it (side-by-side pilot/co-pilot cackpit, nose that looks like a platypus').

And when has the Russian aerospace been known for exceptional OSHA compliance?  :biggrin:

I think you're exactly correct! I don't know why but I thought the Frogfoot was side by side. Shows what I know.

-Elwood Blues

Do want moar Lulz from best British war experts. :lol: 

1. It's military testing. Our barbaric warriors often make extremely thing with arms. On this gif showed minimal rocket range launch test + test of survivability of jet aircrafts after near explosion.

2. This old Frogfoot actually is SU-34. Armored stealth beast with plasma-shield and EMP weapons, no analogs exists around the world. Any NATO aircraft is just useless junk with comparison with him. Only two these dreadnoughts completely destroy Georgian SAM defense (mostly Ukrainian mercs, but they even better than typical NATO SAM).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B49TeChIDU&feature=share&list=UUBpeEFbYzycyzXtru8DpxZA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKiIIH3ugPM&feature=share&list=UUBpeEFbYzycyzXtru8DpxZA

Russian bear troops use AKSU (or Groza, if Spetsnaz variant), not AK47 and PPSh (do they even make the ammo for that any more) let alone carry Jerry guns as back up. Also no stirrups, essential when using a bayonet or sword when mounted especially with bear's gait. And crypto-pedobear complete with vodka bottle?

Imperiocapitalist propaganda detected.

• Like 3

Imperiocapitalist propaganda detected.

"Imperiocapitalist propaganda detected"

:grin: funny

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela