RockPaperShotgun Feargus Urquhart Interview

C2B

Three hints by the way (Originally written on the PA forums)

- The Art Director at Obsidian mentioned that he bought blueprints for a new project (November)

- They are currently hiring two artist positions (3D Artist and
Enviroment) mentioning the need for *highly realistic* ingame-results
(December)

- An Obsidian artist was twittering about Cryengine 3 documentation (November)

3 is just a random tweet, BUT considering both postings in 2 were released on december 21 suggests that they are related to this project (as it makes sense for Obsidian to hire people in reaction of the contract being signed). And *highly realistic* does sound Cryenginy.

Game in Spirit of AP?

Speculation time *Buahahahahhah*

Edited by C2B

Good news for bros at Obsidian; and another game for us to look forward to revealing.

What ever the new contract is, I do hope it does not involve fantasy.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Checking out the rpg codex thread for the interview just made me realize that its likely Warner Bros is the publisher for this (They argued a Batman game)

Why?

Well, in the Knights interview mentioned the following companies they have talked to

- Ubisoft (After the South Park change, Feargus mentioned they had to make their contacts at Ubi first)

- Lucas Arts and Bethesda (Lucas Arts we know what they have pitched and Bethesda was also mentioned)

Edited by C2B

Turns out the Batman game they've announced for 2013 is developed by Obsidian! Do you want to be Adam West Batman, Frank Miller Batman or Nolan Batman?

P.S. : I'd say "it's a bit grasping at straws, isn't it?" but then I remember this company is about to release a South Park RPG.

Is that a wild guess or something you can source? :)

I'd want Jim Carrey as Batman.

Sarcasm bro, do you want to be Bourne, Bauer or Bond? stylee. As for Batters, why they'd order blueprints for a game famously set in a fictionalised city is a pretty big question.

Hey, maybe it's Deus Ex: New Vegas, they've worked with Squeenix, the people who made DXHR are (theoretically, for all that has been seen and said) making Thi4f though on the very limited information given Beta Protocol/ Omega Methodology or even Mass Effect -4 are about as likely as anything.

Edited by Zoraptor

Sarcasm bro, do you want to be Bourne, Bauer or Bond? stylee. As for Batters, why they'd order blueprints for a game famously set in a fictionalised city is a pretty big question.

Hey, maybe it's Deus Ex: New Vegas, they've worked with Squeenix, the people who made DXHR are (theoretically, for all that has been seen and said) making Thi4f though on the very limited information given Beta Protocol/ Omega Methodology or even Mass Effect -4 are about as likely as anything.

Thats very unlikely

Warner Bros is possible because Feargus mentioned the companys they talked to in the Kotaku interview and its the odd one out.

Makes sense. I still miss the joke though and I find that disturbing after 3 playthroughs of AP :D

I also have no idea why would you post on GB first. All I know about you (or think I know) is that I saw your name or Codex.

Yes, I'm socially awkward.

• Like 1

C2B, on 16 Feb 2013 - 10:13, said:

Thats very unlikely

Warner Bros is possible because Feargus mentioned the companys they talked to in the Kotaku interview and its the odd one out.

Unlikely, certainly, at this stage though everything is by default unlikely as there's so little info- there's a better than even chance that it isn't anything that has been suggested. To be honest I'd suspect that WB is looking to a similar system to the alternating Treyarch/ IW CoD releases aimed at annualising the Batman games, so I'd also suspect anything coming out will follow the safe and profitable formula, not take a detour into RPG land. I could of course be wrong, and it would be potentially very good news for Obs if I am.

C2B, on 16 Feb 2013 - 10:13, said:

Thats very unlikely

Unlikely, certainly, at this stage though everything is by default unlikely as there's so little info- there's a better than even chance that it isn't anything that has been suggested. To be honest I'd suspect that WB is looking to a similar system to the alternating Treyarch/ IW CoD releases aimed at annualising the Batman games, so I'd also suspect anything coming out will follow the safe and profitable formula, not take a detour into RPG land. I could of course be wrong, and it would be potentially very good news for Obs if I am.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting the Batman franchise. I'm merely suggesting WB as a publisher due to process of elimination. It is more likely on account of what Feargus said than Square Enix.

What would speak against Batman is the highly realistic part in the job postings. IMO, I consider them (the job postings) to be the most credible of info we have so far, the timing's just to perfect.

Edited by C2B

"Highly realistic" when coupled with artist position postings, likely only means that they're shooting for a realistic/semi-realistic art style on a next-gen platform.

Yep, and that's why I said it makes Batman less likely. It's a bit weird if a highly realistic graphical style is specifically a need for a Batman game, isn't it?

And again, I'm not talking in absolutes here. Just making an observation.

Edited by C2B

Yep, and that's why I said it makes Batman less likely. It's a bit weird if a highly realistic graphical style is specifically a need for a Batman game, isn't it?

And again, I'm not talking in absolutes here. Just making an observation.

I really don't see it as an indication of anything, and I can see how some people in the industry might even describe the exaggerated style of the Arkham game as "highly realistic". And that's not necessarily an art style Obsidian would have to follow if they had to work on a Batman game, which to be honest, I still can't quite see as feasible. But who knows!