obyknven

I'm with Walsingham on this one and I've mentioned it before in one of these Oby threads*

I'm also of the belief that racism doesn't need to be so specific to be considered racism. In my experience the people who I have encountered that I would consider to be racist don't necessarily hate other races but view them as inherently inferior.

I think Oby is good for a laugh and it's pretty funny when he says something totally outrageous and it leads to some serious discussion

Just my 2 cents

*treads, sorry

Free games updated 3/4/21

I'm with Walsingham on this one and I've mentioned it before in one of these Oby threads*

I'm also of the belief that racism doesn't need to be so specific to be considered racism. In my experience the people who I have encountered that I would consider to be racist don't necessarily hate other races but view them as inherently inferior.

I think Oby is good for a laugh and it's pretty funny when he says something totally outrageous and it leads to some serious discussion

Just my 2 cents

*treads, sorry

Personally I think he is a bigot but his posts don't reflect that as he aware of the forum rules. But yes you are right most of the time you can see a bigot with how he constructs his arguments or posts and not necessarily what he says

For example " I'm not homophobic but being gay is not natural as you don't see it in the animal kingdom so why must I be confronted by gayness in a RRG"

This is just an example based on many debates I've had with people around equality and bigotry

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Next time you can tell them that there's actually many examples of gayness in the animal kingdom.

100 %, trust me I have made that point many times

Another comment I make to repute that point is " so now we base our views on life around the way animals behave? So I assume you consult your dog about what shares to invest in or how you need to discuss the issues you are having with your spouse"

It sounds silly but it drums home the point that humans have free thought and aren't ruled normally by animal instinct :)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

But Russian culture IRL is superrior to Western culture.

Hollywood created by Russian emigrants.

Many modern Western actors have Russian origin.

We have Russia to blame for that schlock? Feel free to take it back any time.

Meh, do not want. :p

Anyway we don't like feature films, Russians tends to  short forms now.

http://vimeo.com/48085135

http://vimeo.com/75110594

Next time you can tell them that there's actually many examples of gayness in the animal kingdom.

peacock-new-zealand_10933_990x742.jpg

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Peaasterisks are actually the most rigorously heterosexual animals I've ever seen, or at least the only one I've directly interacted with. At one stage we had chickens and ducks, and a peahen of the male persuasion moved in to take advantage of their food and, well, ended up trying to take advantage of the chickens and ducks several times a day. I think it even tried it on with the dog.

I suspect it was not only extraordinarily heterosexual, but also extraordinarily frustrated, at least until one of the neighbours got some actual peahens.

Your peasterisk was obviously in the closet, and trying far too hard.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Pretty much this - though the people biting his bait is more funny.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think we know whose alt oby is

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Hardly, I'd make my alt someone annoying cheerful and positive. Have to be opposite and all that, is how the game works.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So you're also BruceVC? :biggrin:

:lol: Good one

John Milton 

Tarkovsky is the only noteworthy filmmaker from Russia. But a damn good one.

Sergei Eisenstein says hello.

Also, this is another favourite of mine among modern Russian movies.

For history buffs, there are also absolutely awesome Russian WW2 movies which sometimes use ACTUAL uniforms and locations. I can recommend the Seventeen Moments of Spring miniseries among others.

Never seen his movies. However, "Come and see" by Klimov is also gem. I do not feel the need to watch another war-movie after that one.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Tarkovsky is the only noteworthy filmmaker from Russia. But a damn good one.

Sergei Eisenstein says hello.

Also, this is another favourite of mine among modern Russian movies.

For history buffs, there are also absolutely awesome Russian WW2 movies which sometimes use ACTUAL uniforms and locations. I can recommend the Seventeen Moments of Spring miniseries among others.

Never seen his movies. However, "Come and see" by Klimov is also gem. I do not feel the need to watch another war-movie after that one.

You are totally right, I forgot that one. I can't believe I did, it's kind of a cult classic around these parts.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

A daddy longlegs, in a muddy puddle, with a broken wing, trying desperately to drag itself out...

... is less pathetic than trolling.

-Elwood Blues

According to the Foreign Ministry, the Netherlands turned to the Hamburg Tribunal to initiate legal proceedings against Russia concerning the Arctic Sunrise vessel on October 21st.

The Dutch ask the Tribunal to order a release of the impounded vessel and the arrested crew, and also to command that Russia suspend all the law enforcement actions on the grounds of the incident in question.
That being said, Russia notified the Netherlands and the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea that Moscow would ignore the arbitration proceedings concerning the Arctic Sunrise vessel, nor would it take part in the inquiry of the Tribunal into the issue of interim measures.

http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2013_10_23/Russia-not-to-take-part-in-Hamburg-investigation-into-Arctic-Sunrise-MFA-7705/
Nam_pohuy_Krizis.jpg

I note that oby removed the avatar pic of the founder of the Cheka. In favour of some random geek pic.

For shame!

Good thing to be proud of, the Soviet secret police. Beria would be ashamed of you abandoning them.

-Elwood Blues