Mali Civil War and the Western Intervention

BruceVC

You can't seriously be suggesting that you don't think that Al-Qaeda is real as a known and established terrorist organization ?

Of course he can be. Haven't you seen any of his posts before? If it's not a Russian nationalist post, it's a troll post slinging insults at the "West" and its people. He made a thread to just to say that Americans are fat, ugly, immoral and the most corrupt people with the most fascist system of government on the face of the Earth, come on.

Edited by AGX-17

You can't seriously be suggesting that you don't think that Al-Qaeda is real as a known and established terrorist organization ?

Of course he can be. Haven't you seen any of his posts before? If it's not a Russian nationalist post, it's a troll post slinging insults at the "West" and its people. He made a thread to just to say that Americans are fat, ugly, immoral and the most corrupt people with the most fascist system of government on the face of the Earth, come on.

I hear you, personally I get annoyed by his comments. He never engages in actual debate but prefers to quote links to other websites. The most ironic consideration is that Russia is more corrupt than almost any established Western country. So maybe he should look at the obvious systemic problems within his own country instead of this constant diatribe against the West

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I always find it funny when people talk about Sharia law like it's so foreign. Sharia law is basically Leviticus from the bible.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I always find it funny when people talk about Sharia law like it's so foreign. Sharia law is basically Leviticus from the bible.

It's foreign cause Christians aren't doing it anymore, although there's a bit of regression these days, but still. 

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Except Anonymous aren't religious fundamentalists, or killers, or terrorists. 

I wasn't suggesting ideological similarities, rather organizational similarities.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Except Anonymous aren't religious fundamentalists, or killers, or terrorists. 

I wasn't suggesting ideological similarities, rather organizational similarities.

Okay. I also missed the connection. I thought you meant  they were both terrorist groups, which I agree with.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

French bloodthirsty killer peacemaker in Mali.

3,w=650,c=0.bild.jpeg

Man the FAMAS is such an ugly gun.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3,w=650,c=0.bild.jpeg

That's more like it. War is not, and should not be beautiful.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

3,w=650,c=0.bild.jpeg

French Foreign Legion, not a peacemaker.

And quite frankly you want those guys to be the sociopaths they are, that's what makes them such a strong military force. They're not there to make friends or do nation-building, they're there to fight "bad guys"

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Don't you think it would be more more effective to send peaceful troops armed with flowers?  Maybe they can use those guns that shoot t-shirts, then the violent extremists will be all like "Oooh!  I want a T-shirt!  Let's stop fighting and give up our territory!"

I don't think anyone with even a semblance of insight into Al-Qaeda and there organizational structure is unaware of there real influence. It doesn't matter what you call the fighters in Mali who the French are fighting. Islamists,. Jihadists, Al-Qaeda..whatever  its irrelevant to the reality of the situation. They want to impose an orthodox and archaic form of Sharia law  in the region. And they need to stopped. They will be stopped as very few people and countries in the region want them to succeed.

Muslims Al-Qaeda fight against alcoholism  Enforcing Sharia Law on the streets of London. They must be stopped! International community demand immediate military intervention into UK! 

P.S. NATO must launch military intervention into Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and United Arab Emirates too. These medieval monarchies exterminate opposition, reject democracy, violate human rights and  use Sharia laws. It's not too difficult job, because NATO have military bases there.  :rolleyes:

Russia should have sent troops for this, good practice.  I guess that's one benefit to all these African wars.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't think anyone with even a semblance of insight into Al-Qaeda and there organizational structure is unaware of there real influence. It doesn't matter what you call the fighters in Mali who the French are fighting. Islamists,. Jihadists, Al-Qaeda..whatever  its irrelevant to the reality of the situation. They want to impose an orthodox and archaic form of Sharia law  in the region. And they need to stopped. They will be stopped as very few people and countries in the region want them to succeed.

Muslims Al-Qaeda fight against alcoholism  Enforcing Sharia Law on the streets of London. They must be stopped! International community demand immediate military intervention into UK! 

P.S. NATO must launch military intervention into Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and United Arab Emirates too. These medieval monarchies exterminate opposition, reject democracy, violate human rights and  use Sharia laws. It's not too difficult job, because NATO have military bases there.  :rolleyes:

Sorry but you can't possibly compare countries like the UAE, Qatar or even Saudi to countries like the former Afghanistan under the Taliban. I travel to those countries for work and even though they are conservative people and foreigners can and do have a quality of life. Women in many of those countries get educated and can work. There is acceptance and tolerance on many levels. But in countries that the likes of Al-Qaeda have influence  they want to implement an orthodox form of Sharia law that is both barbaric and archaic. So yes we must prevent them from being able to operate in countries like Mali, Somalia and Afghanistan

John Milton 

Maybe he just liked Modern Warfare 2.

I think it is very important that when dangerous extremist groups take arms, you fight them back with arms just like the army of Mali is doing with the assistance of the French. However, the rebels might have many very valid reasons for fighting. People in dire situations often turn to extreme ideologies for guidance. Ideally, you should prevent the extremists from expanding their influence while addressing the injustices which give them their support among the population.

To give an example, the Russian Revolution would never have happened if the Russian government had made the appropriate social and democratic reforms in time.

Unfortunately, what might happen is that the French get stuck in a protracted occupation of a large patch of desert draining the ailing French economy in the process, possibly protecting some international private interests, while nothing gets better for the common citizen of Mali. Eventually the military will commit atrocities, by accident or because of "rotten eggs", and African and Muslim opinion will turn against France. The French army will come to be opposed by the very people it came to protect, and eventually they will pull out, leaving Mali in a bad state, with global opinion polarized against France.

I want to support the French intervention, but if France treats the Malian rebels as another piece in a "pop-a-mole" game without thought given to why there is unrest in a poor, broken post-colonial country such as Mali they will inevitably lose both the conflict and my support.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I .

Unfortunately, what might happen is that the French get stuck in a protracted occupation of a large patch of desert draining the ailing French economy in the process, possibly protecting some international private interests, while nothing gets better for the common citizen of Mali. Eventually the military will commit atrocities, by accident or because of "rotten eggs", and African and Muslim opinion will turn against France. The French army will come to be opposed by the very people it came to protect, and eventually they will pull out, leaving Mali in a bad state, with global opinion polarized against France.

You have raised a valid concern , the last thing that the French want is to be drawn into a protracted conflict where they are expected to be actively involved . But they are acutely aware of this. There objective is for troops from the AU (African Union) to take over the French military responsibilities. AU troops from West Africa are already arriving and once the Islamists are defeated the AU will have to maintain the general security.

What never ceases to amaze me is on various radio talk shows in South Africa there are certain people who phone in and accuse the French of "neo-colonialism" with this intervention. Despite the fact that the UN supported this actions and the current r regime of Mali asked for the French to assist. When it comes to the West sometimes they can't do anything right, any action in Africa even when legitimate and necessary is about  "colonialism and imperialism"

John Milton 

Sorry but you can't possibly compare countries like the UAE, Qatar or even Saudi to countries like the former Afghanistan under the Taliban. I travel to those countries for work and even though they are conservative people and foreigners can and do have a quality of life. Women in many of those countries get educated and can work. There is acceptance and tolerance on many levels. But in countries that the likes of Al-Qaeda have influence  they want to implement an orthodox form of Sharia law that is both barbaric and archaic. So yes we must prevent them from being able to operate in countries like Mali, Somalia and Afghanistan

Yes, we can. Probably for Westerners it's normal, when you support totalitarian regimes and terrorists only because they are rich and have common business with your elite, but for us it's unaccessible. It's always funny, when Westerners try use this Jesuitic rhetoric against us, this is just don't work.

In other word's, role of Arabian monarchies in world "terrorism" is not secret for us.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/01/24/285242/iraq-arrests-250-saudibacked-terrorists/

Iraqi security forces have arrested 250 Saudi-backed Wahhabi terrorists in Iraq, reports say...

According to the commander of the Iraqi forces, Saudi spy chief Bandar bin Sultan bin Abdulaziz Al Saud had allocated 250 million US dollars for the terrorist operations in Iraq.

The commander also said that Bandar bin Sultan had hired fugitive Iraqi Vice President Tariq al-Hashemi to conduct terrorist attacks.

We known, how tyrannical regimes they are, and we known real reason, why NATO don't want stop them. How creators can kill own creature, if this creature so devotedly serve to them?

Sorry but you can't possibly compare countries like the UAE, Qatar or even Saudi to countries like the former Afghanistan under the Taliban. I travel to those countries for work and even though they are conservative people and foreigners can and do have a quality of life. Women in many of those countries get educated and can work. There is acceptance and tolerance on many levels. But in countries that the likes of Al-Qaeda have influence  they want to implement an orthodox form of Sharia law that is both barbaric and archaic. So yes we must prevent them from being able to operate in countries like Mali, Somalia and Afghanistan

Yes, we can. Probably for Westerners it's normal, when you support totalitarian regimes and terrorists only because they are rich and have common business with your elite, but for us it's unaccessible. It's always funny, when Westerners try use this Jesuitic rhetoric against us, this is just don't work.

No my friend, you are mistaken. Russia would rather let thousands of people die than to accept that one of its "allies" is a brutal dictator and is prepared to use the might of his military to stop political dissension. In other words Syria. Russia could have prevented this civil war if it had voted for military action in the UN Security Council. Don't you feel ashamed with your government?

John Milton