What you did today

Gorth

Week 3 of Paleo eating, non-smoking and serious workout.. This is actually having a major impact! I love it.

Does anyone eat paleo here? - if so, do you know any good breakfast recipies? (except scrambled eggs)

Centered on commonly available modern foods, the "contemporary" Paleolithic diet consists mainly of fish, grass-fed pasture raised meats, vegetables, fruit, fungi, roots, and nuts, and excludes grains, legumes, dairy products, potatoes, refined salt, refined sugar, and processed oils.

Never heard that term before but it looks like a variation of the Atkins diet.

Good breakfast? Steak and over easy eggs, lots of bacon, perhaps a bowl of cubed fruits on the side.

• Like 1

Yeah, I thought it was pretty well known. :) But I just really like this "diet" because it's the kind of food I like.. I can however seriously recommend cutting away diary and refined sugar.. Milk screws with your skin big time (mine at least).

Fortune favors the bald.

Would have thought people would have eaten like that more recently than the paleolithic era :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah, I thought it was pretty well known. :) But I just really like this "diet" because it's the kind of food I like.. I can however seriously recommend cutting away diary and refined sugar.. Milk screws with your skin big time (mine at least).

I'd kill myself without milk. true story. Milk... :bow:

• Like 1

And I'm out of school for the semester... 40 hours a week of dealing with idiots HERE I COME :(

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Yup, now have no financial support. And the local community college started yesterday, so all the satellite facilites (those that are logistical possibilities) are full.

What about picking up some internet courses?

... I am not exactly a the best type to do 'net courses. I'd be forgetting work left and right, and I'd spend most of the "lectures" on facebook.

The only things that really count for me are either foreign language or upper division courses.

And I'm out of school for the semester... 40 hours a week of dealing with idiots HERE I COME :(

Welcome to the real world. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Welcome to the real world. :p

not really, It's a lot worse when you're considered the lowest rung of society... so people think they can get away with everything.

Refined sugar I am trying to reduce though, yeah. Same with excessive wheats.

Yeah wheat is especially toxic in the amount we usually eat it - wheat was one of the first things I tried to cut off and after a few weeks I suddenly felt a lot less 'swollen' and I lost almost 10lb too. Of course I've been eating seriously unhealthy for years, so I'm bound to feel the effects a lot more pronounced :)

"The decent method you follow is better than the perfect method you quit." If you want to cut down on it instead of letting go, that's an option too.. but once you start changing your diet you realize that it's more habit and dependency rather than preference (in most cases).

Fortune favors the bald.

Refined sugar I am trying to reduce though, yeah. Same with excessive wheats.

Yeah wheat is especially toxic in the amount we usually eat it - wheat was one of the first things I tried to cut off and after a few weeks I suddenly felt a lot less 'swollen' and I lost almost 10lb too. Of course I've been eating seriously unhealthy for years, so I'm bound to feel the effects a lot more pronounced :)

"The decent method you follow is better than the perfect method you quit." If you want to cut down on it instead of letting go, that's an option too.. but once you start changing your diet you realize that it's more habit and dependency rather than preference (in most cases).

I was even more overweight than I am now, and I mostly eat the same stuff. I just work out more. I'm a little bit more careful with what I eat and drink now, but milk would never be something I can cut down on. I can't say I've stopped eating other stuff either, but I don't eat them as often. I don't drink as much Coca Cola or similar unhealthy beverages, plus I drink less beer, and I've almost completely stopped eating chips. I eat more vegetables. I've started eating some fish (I hated fish until a few years ago) and chicken (hated it until a few years ago). I've lost around 11kg in the last 1,5 years. A diet is something I don't have the willpower for. I like to eat what I want, but I have learnt that if I want to stay in better shape than I used to, being lazy and not working out won't help at all.

• Like 1

Depends on who you talk to, some paleo people are ok with it some aren't - I think it's generally only northern Europeans (or those of that descent) that can fully digest milk, the people I know of Middle Eastern origins generally don't drink or consume that many diary products and especially not raw milk.. If it's off the table and it comes to that special ice craving however, you just put frozen berries in a blender with some almond milk and you've got the best ice icream you've ever tasted. And I'm a huge ice cream fan too.

Fortune favors the bald.

I'm streaming Deep Space Nine episodes to try and feel some of the normality of home, things are easing up a bit here thank god, spent most of the day sitting on the sofa with my mum, sobbing and I suppose engaging in amateur therapy.

The family is rallying round which is heartening, I'm pretty damn keen to go home for a shower and a change of clothes so I'm thankful that my nephew has got time off work to come grab me tomorrow, he's also going to take me and his dad to buy some suitable funeral clothes.

On the subject of dieting, I've been as heavy as 24 st (336 lbs) and all I know is when I eat less processed sugar, wheat and grease I lose weight, I'm 15.5 st currently and working my way down to 14 but it's sloowwwwwww.