Hurricane Sandy

BruceVC

We flew out of the USA from New York on Saturday so luckily we missed it. But I have been following the devastating power of the storm on CNN. Are any of our American colleagues effected? What is it like living in the East coast at the moment.

I see that some people just ignored instructions to evacuate the areas the storm was going to hit. Yesterday I saw people jogging in areas of New York in high winds and rain, only in New York :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

But don't worry guys, global warming is a conspiracy.

And if it isn't, rising global average temperatures don't have any relation to the frequency and severity of intense weather system formation or anything.

And even if they did, there's nothing we can do to stop polluting the atmosphere.

And if if there was, I like to buy lots of crap I don't need so piss off!

Sandy is horrible - I don't mean to diminish the death and loss caused by it in any way. Over a dozen people have died already. But people need to see it as one of a wide array of wake-up calls that say "BUSINESS AS USUAL IS NOT ACCEPTABLE."

"But don't worry guys, global warming is a conspiracy."

Yeah, because hurricanes are a new phemnomena. Come on.

"Sandy is horrible - I don't mean to diminish the death and loss caused by it in any way."

I don't believe you. Youa re just using this to do your usuall nonsensical preaching,

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Wind did a fair amount of damage here and killed a lady with a Staples sign. Also knocked power out to many areas in TO. Not much flooding, but we're supposed to get the remnants today or tomorrow.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I am watching the damage done from Sandy on Sky, it truly has devastated parts of New York and New Jersey. It takes storms like this to make us realize how irrelevant mankind is before the power and majesty of nature. I have seen a guy on a Jet ski using it to navigate his way through the streets of his town, I have seen the subways of NY flooded and the front of a 3 story building ripped off.

I can only imagine the general delay around traffic for people in NY trying to get to work during the week wiith the subways closed

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"It takes storms like this to make us realize how irrelevant mankind is before the power and majesty of nature. "

Irrelevant? This storm will pass, humans will still be here, and things will rebuilt. The storm will soon be forgotten but the human spirit will remain strong. DEATH TO EVIL STORMS!

• Like 1

"It takes storms like this to make us realize how irrelevant mankind is before the power and majesty of nature. "

DEATH TO EVIL STORMS!

You are funny :grin:

John Milton 

Sandy is horrible - I don't mean to diminish the death and loss caused by it in any way.

Then you probably shouldn't have posted all the other drivel.

Open your ****ing eyes. Even when the **** fits the fan far more frequently than it ever has before, you'd still rather go "oh, that's horrible!" than ask "Why did this happen? Is there something we are doing that is worsening weather systems like this or making them more frequent?" Pathetic.

People died. That makes it the perfect time to ask "Why? Is there something society can do in the short, medium, or long-term to prevent deaths in the future?" The answer is yes, and even if it were no, the question WOULD STILL BE WORTH ASKING.

Cross-thread quoting of JFSOCC to provide some statistical data of intense weather system frequency to hammer home the point:

http://www.ucar.edu/news/releases/2007/hurricanefrequency.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlantic_hurricane_records#Number_of_tropical_storms_and_hurricanes_per_season

Edited by Krezack

Sandy is horrible - I don't mean to diminish the death and loss caused by it in any way.

Then you probably shouldn't have posted all the other drivel.

Open your ****ing eyes. Even when the **** fits the fan far more frequently than it ever has before, you'd still rather go "oh, that's horrible!" than ask "Why did this happen? Is there something we are doing that is worsening weather systems like this or making them more frequent?" Pathetic.

People died. That makes it the perfect time to ask "Why? Is there something society can do in the short, medium, or long-term to prevent deaths in the future?" The answer is yes, and even if it were no, the question WOULD STILL BE WORTH ASKING.

Cross-thread quoting of JFSOCC to provide some statistical data of intense weather system frequency to hammer home the point:

http://www.ucar.edu/...frequency.shtml

http://en.wikipedia....anes_per_season

Krez I don't think he is disputing your logic and facts. But at times its how you tend to make a point. It came across as lacking any real empathy. I know thats not what you intended but it can cause people to then switch off around other relevant points you make.

• Like 1

John Milton 

Krez I don't think he is disputing your logic and facts. But at times its how you tend to make a point. It came across as lacking any real empathy. I know thats not what you intended but it can cause people to then switch off around other relevant points you make.

My post had plenty of empathy towards the deaths caused - I said as much and was absolutely sincere. To read anything else into what I posted is paranoia. I particularly have empathy towards the many, many more who will die in the future as storms like these pummel the USA, Caribbean, and the world with increasing severity and frequency as global warming accelerates in line with accelerating greenhouse gas emissions.

My post did not have empathy towards people who deny global warming is a threat or don't care. To them I definitely have anti-empathy. They are scum slowly killing the rest of us; especially those in the world least capable of protecting against the damage and least responsible for causing the damage of global warming - the poor.

Between 54 and 74 Haitians were killed by Sandy.

Edited by Krezack

Was this due to global warming, though ? Something similar did happen in 1991, was a bit weaker though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Was this due to global warming, though ? Something similar did happen in 1991, was a bit weaker though.

Especially when it's known the Earth has certain weather patterns that come and go. (Cold periods/hot periods)

Now I'm not saying global warming isn't real, just that I don't believe global warming is responsible for this. Tornadoes/cyclones/massive storms have always happened.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Here in MD, it was windy and rainy, but we never lost power or cable/internet. (Which is a surprise, given our recent history with the power company-- the "derecho" storm this summer knocked us out for a few days.) And pretty much everything was closed down, so I got 2 free days off work.

However, the area where I grew up in South Jersey got hammered. It's a little surreal seeing helicopter footage on the news of landmarks that I grew up around, flooded and ruined. I lived on the mainland, rather than one of the barrier islands, but I went to school with a lot of people from there, and as a teenager I worked summer jobs at touristy businesses near the beach. I have friends whose childhood homes are now under water. My parents' house is fine (minus a few trees in the yard), but they're hosting some evacuated friends whose home and business have probably both suffered significant damage.

(Also, don't we already have one recent "Krezack starts a shouting match about global warming" thread? No need to turn this into another.)

Edited by Enoch

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"y post had plenty of empathy towards the deaths caused - I said as much and was absolutely sincere."

Nah. It wasn't sincere. You don't go on some sort of rant/diatribe and then takc oh,"I'm sorry' and actually think people will take what you say sincerely? You don't mean. Youa re just using the disaster to fruther your extremist agenda. This makes you no bettert han those who use disaster to claim that it's 'God's way to punish a certain group'. Tsk, tsk.

• Like 1

I have family in Maryland, Washington, D.C. and North Carolina, but they've had no problems, so that's kind of nice.

But don't worry guys, global warming is a conspiracy.

And if it isn't, rising global average temperatures don't have any relation to the frequency and severity of intense weather system formation or anything.

And even if they did, there's nothing we can do to stop polluting the atmosphere.

And if if there was, I like to buy lots of crap I don't need so piss off!

Sandy is horrible - I don't mean to diminish the death and loss caused by it in any way. Over a dozen people have died already. But people need to see it as one of a wide array of wake-up calls that say "BUSINESS AS USUAL IS NOT ACCEPTABLE."

http://www.latimes.c...0,7372823.story

http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

One of the Koch brothers (of libertarian "external costs are a lie of the labor unions and children with cancer from polluted drinking water" fame,) funded a climate skeptic's study. The study's results converted this skeptical scientist (one of the very few holdouts in the scientific community; when conservatives and the media say the jury is out and it's still controversial, they're flat-out lying,) into a believer.

Edited by AGX-17

Or asian. Or white. Or Arab. The storm effect NJ and NY. NY itself has people from all races and culttures.

Only a bigot would bring race into the discussion. Storms don't care who tehy target.

Then again, I guess it was the white man's fault when that Earthquake devasted Japan a few eyars back. TSK, TSK.

Krezack, you need to understand that 'saying the right thing' is not always the right way to actually effect social change. If you want to have a positive effect on those around you by persuading them to take climate change more seriously, then it's not really a great idea to say "sorry for all those who just died in the hurricane, guys this is exactly why you need to listen to me and stop being morons". If only because it makes you sound like a Christian preacher...

Philadelphia was largely unaffected, so my first experience with broad proximity to a natural disaster was largely anticlimactic. It does make you realize just how helpless (and unresourceful) you can be in such situations, though; I understood that if something big were to hit, I'd probably panic first.