Talking about graphics = missing the point?

I can't help but notice that everyone's talking about the such things as boobplate, PAULDRONS, weapon bling and all that stuff.

What I'd like to ask is: Aren't these pretty much trivial?

We handed in our "I care about graphics" sometime when we funded a kickstarter for an isometric RPG, so shouldn't we be focusing on the important bits like gameplay mechanics and storylines instead?

• Like 5

Well, I think it is important that portraits/art shots/ cutscenes and such look real to the setting and such - all the more so because they are pretty much the only thing we'd base our perception of those little sprite-ants we control in game actually look like while swinging an axe about, or while trying to talk down bandits.

You don't care about graphics at all? Then you're okay with the game looking like this then?

mKMG6.png

I think the ladies are sick of being mis-represented in games as well as the whole 'unrealism' thing.

Oh the boobplate complaints and stuff? Actually I think it's mostly guys who are having a knee-jerk reaction to all excessive pandering in games.

Edited by moridin84

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

I think the ladies are sick of being mis-represented in games as well as the whole 'unrealism' thing.

It's not like you'll be able to see it with perspective the game will be using.

Say no to popamole!

Unless the character sheet or talking figure is a picture that just really puts you off. Some of them in Arcanum did that to me. That said, this is something that should be stupidly easy for the community to change, or even an individual.

You don't care about graphics at all? Then you're okay with the game looking like this then?

mKMG6.png

Oh the boobplate complaints and stuff? Actually I think it's mostly guys who are having a knee-jerk reaction to all excessive pandering in games.

My wife is into all the medieval reconstruction thing, including blacksmithing and she lol's at female armours =].

I'd like to check out some previews of how 3d models work on 2d map art though..

mKMG6.png

That looks like Angband. Played it a few times, but I prefer Incursion, although that might be familiarity speaking. Neither beats Dwarf fortress for the fun factor, so eh.

Congratulations for using the slippery slope argument so quickly into the discussion though.

• Like 1

It's funny really. "Oldschool" gamers always give younger gamers a hard time for caring so much about graphics, yet a lot would have probably dropped their pledges if PE didn't look pretty. The idea that fans of isometric RPGs don't care about graphics is silly. They're just as superficial... only they're just used to a different perspective.

The issue with the boobplate armor was a little different I guess, because that's not just an issue of visual preference.

Unless the character sheet or talking figure is a picture that just really puts you off. Some of them in Arcanum did that to me. That said, this is something that should be stupidly easy for the community to change, or even an individual.

Which ones? as far as I remember Arcanum had just heads as portraits.

If i didn't care about graphics I'd go back at entertaining myself with Lone Wolf gamebooks.

Some of the illustrations in those were quite good, you graphics whore :)

Say no to popamole!

Which ones? as far as I remember Arcanum had just heads as portraits.

Indeed, an some faces just... no. And likewise with some of the more intricate NWN portraits. Not always that I didn't care for the portrait/head, but that they might not be the best fit for the character represented. That said, replacing them is pretty easy. Also, I'd really like for PE to use character sheet/conversation portraits, if possible.

If i didn't care about graphics I'd go back at entertaining myself with Lone Wolf gamebooks.

And yet I'm not so much of a graphics whore since recently I played:

American McGee's Alice

God of War

God of War II

God of War: Chains of Olympus

God of War: Ghost of Sparta

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Prince of Persia: Warrior Withing

Prototype

and I'm Playing Divine Divinity now (the camera angle is really awful).

And yet I'm not so much of a graphics whore since recently I played:

American McGee's Alice

God of War

God of War II

God of War: Chains of Olympus

God of War: Ghost of Sparta

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Prince of Persia: Warrior Withing

Prototype

and I'm Playing Divine Divinity now (the camera angle is really awful).

Houston, we're getting some weird readings here, it seems to be saying you've missed evdk's joke.

mKMG6.png

I donated to the Indiegogo crowdfunding of Ancient Domains of Mystery. Deep gameplay is way more important than graphics.

"It is an extraordinary act of courage to come to know a stranger's pain. To even consider such a thing demands a profound dispensation, a willingness to wear someone else's chains, to taste their suffering, to see with one's own eyes the hue cast on all things -- the terrible stain that is despair."

-Tulas Shorn

"Toll the Hounds" by Steven Erikson

[image Removed]

I donated to the Indiegogo crowdfunding of Ancient Domains of Mystery. Deep gameplay is way more important than graphics.

Gameplay is more important than graphics. That doesn't mean graphics aren't important.

The atmosphere is just as important as the gameplay mechanics imo. The art, and how this art is implemented, is a topic worthy of in-depth, long winded discussion.

It's a matter of style right?

Edited by moridin84

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

True, but hopefully Obsidian will look to their IWD (music, backdrops), Torment (everything), KOTOR 2 (voices, character(s), camera angles, low-key symbolism) and MotB (mostly everything) roots in that regard.