Help me pick a cRPG to play.

jivex5k

I've only ever played Baldurs Gate II. Well.. and Dragon Age Origins which is pretty cool too.

I want to get back into the feel of eternity in the interim.

I also don't want it to look like crap on my widescreen...which is a bit hard but I found some mods for BG2 that make it look decent.

Suggestions? With mods?

What are you guys playing?

I played all the old school fantasy-RPG games at the time they came out so it's been a long time (BG 1-2, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale 1-2, Neverwinter Nights 1-2, Pool of Radiance, etc.).

I of course played the newer RPGs (Dragon Age 1-2, Mass Effect 1-3, Skyrim, Fallout 3, etc.).

My suggestion: Planescape: Torment (go to GOG for a copy).

Edited by atn

Planescape: Torment or Icewind Dale, depending whether you prefer more story and dialogue or more combat. Baldur's Gate also, especially since you've already played (and presumably liked) Baldur's Gate II. Icewind Dale II is also good.

Me, I'm finally getting around to playing Temple of Elemental Evil and the expansions of Neverwinter Nights 2, as well as finishing up a multiplayer game of Neverwinter Nights I've had going for a while.

knightofchaoss.jpg

Some ideas:

Baldur's Gate 1 (you can use mods to run it in the BG2 engine so it will look better)

Icewind Dale 1 or 2 (both are moddable to widescreen resolutions)

Planescape:Torment (moddable as above)

Drakensang

The Fallouts

Alpha Protocol

Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 (lots of community made modules and extras for both games available)

Divine Divinity

Nox

Eschalon Book 1 and 2

Inquisitor

Risen

The Witcher 1 and 2

Temple of Elemntal Evil (with the Co8 mod pack)

Note: some of these games aren't going to look great from a graphics perspective, and some are a bit far from the isometric IE gameplay, but they're all worth having a look at.

• Like 2

wait a month and play BG Enhanced Edition comming 30th Nov

not. don't waste your money on scams.

on topic:

apart from IE games; Fallout 1-2 (and maybe NV as the writing's good; shame bethpizda butchered the franchise), Betreyal at Krondor, Arcanum, Wizardries, Might&Magics, Temple of Elemental Evil (with circle of 8 modpack). You could also try NWN2, but stay clear of the base campaign - it's terrible - go straight for MotB.

[intelligence] I'm fighting the Good Fight with my posts.

- Neverwinter Nights 1/2 and countless modules can keep you busy until P:E arrives. Many user-made stuff is better than the official campaigns too.

- The classics mentioned above

- Fallout NV is nothing like an infinity game, however I think Obsidian did a really good job with it's writing and humor, much better than Bethesda's Fallout 3

- The Witcher

- Drakensang: River of Time

• Like 2

Definitely Torment.

It can be adjusted for a widescreen and it also has the perk of being the best game ever made. You can't go wrong!

But don't forget to install the fan patches. Otherwise, you'll need to get used to lots of crashes.

• Like 1

If you've only played BG2 and DA:O then you're really missing out.

For the Project Eternity feel, definitely go with:

• Baldur's Gate
  • Planescape: Torment
  • Icewind dale

Other RPGs i'd strongly recommend:

• Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
  • Darklands
  • Might & Magic 6
  • Might & Magic 7
  • Betrayal at Krondor
  • Gothic
  • Gothic 2
  • The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  • Realms of Arkania
  • Arx Fatalis
  • Deus Ex
  • System Shock 2

• Like 1

Planescape: Torment is definitely something you should try. It isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's one of the most perfectly realized visions in CRPG history. I also recommend NWN 1 & 2, but in both cases I'd recommend skipping the main campaign and going for the expansions, which IMO were much better for both games. The one thing that might make NWN2's main campaign worth playing is that the player gets a stronghold in it, and the gameplay elements that surround it will probably inform a lot of what they do with P:E's stronghold.

The one thing that might make NWN2's main campaign worth playing is that the player gets a stronghold in it, and the gameplay elements that surround it will probably inform a lot of what they do with P:E's stronghold.

For me there were two things that made it worth playing (at least once). Crossroads Keep (the stronghold) and the trial. Once you are past those parts, you can quit the game and move on to the expansions ;)

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

One of these days I really have to get around to playing more of PS:T.

I own an old CD of it, just never got around to getting past the intro or something. I can't even realistically remember why at this point. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

One of these days I really have to get around to playing more of PS:T.

I own an old CD of it, just never got around to getting past the intro or something. I can't even realistically remember why at this point. :lol:

Maybe because the game feels very "slow" at the beginning, especially in the mortuary. I know I found the combination of weirdness (unfamiliarity with the setting) and the zombie shuffling pace (at times quite literally) off putting the first time I played it. I persevered and once out and starting to get around Sigil, it became very interesting.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein