About the new concept art piece of Forton the monk......

I'd like to repeat once again, please understand that concept art is not made for your viewing pleasure (at least not primarily). It's not required for a concept artist to be a martial artist as well, to draw a perfectly accurate pose. It's important to get the idea of an appearance of the character to the 3D artists who'll be doing the modeling. That's all.

The same character looks quite badass in the wallpaper, does he not?

(I don't think the concept artist is bad at his/her job either, the concepts are well done. Actually, has it been released if it's a woman drawing these? Just my impression.)

Yeah the concept artist is a woman and her stuff is great. Her website gives you an idea of how awesome she is, just am a little surprised by the concept art for this guy. It's meh. We are entitled to put forward a view as the concept gives us a lot of clues as to what the designer plans for the character.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'd like to repeat once again, please understand that concept art is not made for your viewing pleasure (at least not primarily). It's not required for a concept artist to be a martial artist as well, to draw a perfectly accurate pose. It's important to get the idea of an appearance of the character to the 3D artists who'll be doing the modeling. That's all.

The same character looks quite badass in the wallpaper, does he not?

(I don't think the concept artist is bad at his/her job either, the concepts are well done. Actually, has it been released if it's a woman drawing these? Just my impression.)

Polina Hristova is drawing them. So, yes.

She's in the Kickstarter Video as well. You see her draw Edair. (Well, she's winking at the camera at that moment)

Edited by C2B

Personally, I don't like the monk class because they function best on their own, without equipment. Playing a monk and finding swords and armour that is then useless for my character... I don't like that.

I hope monks in P:E will have many magic robes and sandals and bandans and quarterstaves and so on to equip. :)

I can kinda see the monk working well in the art style Eternity seems to be (Screenshot). More so than most of the other monks posted here, to be honest.

Can actually imagine all the charachters shown so far quite well.

The concept art is of good quality and the artist surely has talent, but what she draws lacks a certain power/charisma.

Forton is probably supposed to look hardened, but his head looks like the one of a sad old woman.

The concept art is of good quality and the artist surely has talent, but what she draws lacks a certain power/charisma.

Forton is probably supposed to look hardened, but his head looks like the one of a sad old woman.

I like Edair and Cadegund well enough--some of their personality comes out in the posture as well. Edair looks a bit skeptical, wary, peering around the corner, practical, and not interested in drawing attention to himself (as Sawyer said). Cadegund is all shiny and confident, whether that confidence is supported by worldly experience, priestly duty, naivete, elitism.

Forton, despite that painful-looking knee, looks a bit tired but ready to fight. Maybe he's world-weary, but Sawyer (I think) did say that he's into mortification of the flesh and, uh, drugs ( :p). I expect him to have an interesting past...

I think drawing old people is difficult; I rarely see it done realistically well across art genres. Forton actually looks fine to me in this regard.

Edited by Ieo
  • Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I like Forton`s first concept art quite a bit, actually. He looks a bit like Iggy Pop`s elder fighting brother.

His looks seem to fit well to his personal history`s outline.

But the flip flops have to go.

On his stance I can`t comment, lacking knowledge of the martial arts. The first character concept art pictures where more neutral in their stance.

It´s easy to catch flak for any kind of stylized combat stance if it is presented as over the top or just dumb, when you expected realism.

Maybe she was rushed, or trying to be too traditional fantasy.

Interesting. One of the things that I like about the Monk concept art is that to me he doesn't look "traditional fantasy." He has certain elements of the traditional D&D monk, such as the flip-flops and the style of his pants, but in the concept image he has this bedraggled quality that I find refreshing (although this isn't the case in the group wallpaper, where he looks much more like a stereotypical D&D monk). In contrast, the monk from the Diablo III pictures that someone posted earlier looks like a normal, eastern-inspired, warrior monk. He looks pretty cool, but he doesn't look unique. Forton with his ragged, tired appearance (at least in the concept art) looks unique.

Edited by eimatshya

Old man in the party who kicks ass, but can also share his wisdom with the player... heh, I get the feeling he might be something like Dakkon in that regard...

Don't get my hopes up!

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Remember this is early concept art...a lot of what we are seeing will no doubt change at least a little (or completely) by the time it is all done. I'm a little surprised though at how many negative comments there are on Forton's appearance. I'm not terribly fond of it but nor do I think that every single character has to be overly awesome looking (for lack of a better term). The devs have said that part of their design philosophy with companions is making some that can be hard to like. Maybe Forton is a cranky jerk that nevertheless kicks arse and grows on you over time...or you end up hating him and not using him. Or maybe he is a calming presence full of sagely advice...but not much to look at hah.

I do agree that the sandals are a bit odd though. Maybe they are Armstrong's Magical Flip-Flops of Everpresent Fatigue Resistance or something, you never know.

yea I also still would like to see the female monk that refuses to wear something on the chest and still insists on men not reacting to it.. :D And I am sure it is a good tactic to confuse at least humaneske male opponents in battle. Quite useful.

Maybe our monk has such a bodycontrol that he managed to stop his beard from growing. That would be badass :D

Feet: just let him walk barefeet, if so many people complain. I am sure there aren't many that insist on sandals.