Squadron 42

Nightshape

PC gamers finally have a few games to look forward to, even if they're mostly sequels of something or other.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Trying to back, but the site is being wonky... I guess too much traffic. So no confirmation mail... not even from amazon :/

Yeah, try later. I got in.

But only 0.5% are funded so far. Eternity was a lot faster. They should have used kickstarter for more visibility.

Either way, I'm a man so I did not tick that "Refund if goal is not met" option.

Well Project Eternity started around the end of the month, ala pay-day kind of time. I think in 10-20 days you'll see a lot more money being plugged into Star Citizen.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Yeah, try later. I got in.

But only 0.5% are funded so far. Eternity was a lot faster. They should have used kickstarter for more visibility.

Either way, I'm a man so I did not tick that "Refund if goal is not met" option.

Amazon says I paid. Just not by email... a bit strange.

Kickstarter would also have given their system a lot more stability. Right now they have a lot of frustrated fans out there, I wager.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Awesome, this looks like it will as good as the movie!

I hope they bring back Freddie Prinze Jr.

Not a big of what you've seen so far then ?

Should ramp up pretty well, seems a fair amount of excitement over this

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Awesome, this looks like it will as good as the movie!

I hope they bring back Freddie Prinze Jr.

Are you joking?

Omg, he's going to combine the mission structure and story of WC with open world gameplay of Privateer!

...fap fap fap

playing co-op with friends... designing ships...

..fap fap fap

Its like everything you ever want out of a space sim rolled into one game

Well its at least 40% of my dream game. The rest would include a good story in the the Fading Sun setting, the game being an RPG and featuring planetside exploration and questing in addition to everything Squadron 42 is going to have. In short, a full blown space opera

Hm, might undo my PE pledge for this, former doesn't need my money at this point. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hm, might undo my PE pledge for this, former doesn't need my money at this point. :p

Blasphemy! ;)

This game does look pretty, tho. I'm not typically into space-sims (or online) but ... well, if the actual game looks anything like that trailer, it could definitely be a visual treat.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well main website is borked, but came across this in the EG comments, will have to track it down on the site when it's back

Not a subscription but not free-to-play; rather a hybrid of these two business models. Much like ArenaNet’s Guild Wars 2, you will purchase the PC game and pay no recurring subscription charges. Your purchase of the game will allow you to play in the universe for free, forever! The game will offer a variety of virtual items for purchase with in-game credits allowing you to spend money on items that offer more ways to express yourself, provide convenience, and customize your experience. But the cardinal rule regarding “in-game purchases” is: Players who spend money purchasing in-game credits will have no advantage over players who spend time!

Everything is bought with in-game credits. These purchases won’t offer any advantage over someone who puts in the “game-time” to earn the same amount of credits. You might ask, why have “in-game” purchases at all? This allows us the resources to support the game on an ongoing basis as well as continually add content.

The only thing I'm not clear on is how the online segment is going to function, are other players going to be visible in the game MMO style or not

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

I'm all for a WC/Privateer MMO, and Guild Wars 2 is a great model for them with both unique gameplay elements and the non-subscription method. I'm skeptical this development team can get it done.

And your sceptical opinion is based on what?

The plastic asteroids, obviously. :p

Aside from that, pretty happydelighted with the proposal. Ambitious to be sure, but a few things offset that: one is that it looks like they've got a solid basis to build on already done, and with CryEngine3 being official, no issues with engine licencing. Further, design for Wing Commander/Privateer Online were at a fairly advanced stage as far back as the mid-to-late 90s, so I imagine a fair part of the design was simply building on that premise. $2m is obviously the most ambitious target for a crowdfunded game yet, of course, but attainable enough.

I'm okay with the decision to host the funding drive themselves instead of via Kickstarter - not sure how the costs of providing that infrastructure compare with Amazon's cut of Kickstarter pledges - assuming the servers are more stable than they've been today, of course.

Quibbles:

• Not best pleased with the actual tiers presented - I want to start with a beat-up Tarsus no matter what, dammit
    Giving beta, and indeed alpha testing access to all backers seems a recipe for problems
    Dynamic economy is probably the actual gameplay design element of most concern, wouldn't be surprised if it got dropped down the line, and wouldn't complain if it was
    Them asteroids :p

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I'm all for a WC/Privateer MMO, and Guild Wars 2 is a great model for them with both unique gameplay elements and the non-subscription method. I'm skeptical this development team can get it done.

Hey, do not spoil my mood.

As for pledging, I'm holding off for now, due to the site still not being fully operational and the fact it's only got Europe and US options for backing. When the site is back up and fully functioning and I have knowledge of which option to choose, I'm getting my Lancer.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

The plastic asteroids, obviously. :p

Aside from that, pretty happydelighted with the proposal. Ambitious to be sure, but a few things offset that: one is that it looks like they've got a solid basis to build on already done, and with CryEngine3 being official, no issues with engine licencing. Further, design for Wing Commander/Privateer Online were at a fairly advanced stage as far back as the mid-to-late 90s, so I imagine a fair part of the design was simply building on that premise. $2m is obviously the most ambitious target for a crowdfunded game yet, of course, but attainable enough.

I'm okay with the decision to host the funding drive themselves instead of via Kickstarter - not sure how the costs of providing that infrastructure compare with Amazon's cut of Kickstarter pledges - assuming the servers are more stable than they've been today, of course.

Quibbles:

:p

Not best pleased with the actual tiers presented - I want to start with a beat-up Tarsus no matter what, dammit

Giving beta, and indeed alpha testing access to all backers seems a recipe for problems

Dynamic economy is probably the actual gameplay design element of most concern, wouldn't be surprised if it got dropped down the line, and wouldn't complain if it was

Them asteroids

•  

I wouldn't be concerned about any of those things, final artwork won't be locked until beta so don't worry about the Asteroid artwork. Nothing you'll have seen is final at all.

I'm sure there will be ship options - I agree the tier's have nothing on PE, so you don't get much for your buck in that respect.

I'd be shocked if they don't hit their target, you also have to bare in mind that they have investment, the crowd-funding aspect is more about proving the market for the game to investor's than anything else. He said as much in his talk yesterday.

We'll see on the dynamic economy front, I imagine it'll work out - has done in other games.

I don't see your concerns as actually being that big of a deal, all of which I imagine will be addressed during and through the coarse of development.