Squadron 42

Nightshape

How many people went to see the spectacle that was 'Avatar' a few years back? If yes, you're part of the problem :p

If I'm not part of the problem, does that make me part of the solution? :shifty:

Saw that one for the first time this year as in-flight entertainment.

As for why people play 'x' game? It probably helps if you have pushed it enough to become the "de facto standard" that other games needs to compare themselves to. Then it becomes the default that people return to when new versions come out, because everything else is 'x' wannabe's. How many publishers have had dreams about making the next WoW? The next Diablo? The next CoD? The next (insert popular franchise typically summarised by a single game name)?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Absolutely, one secures a player - base by being different to the rest so to speak.

PE, and Squadron 42 are different to anything else on the market right now. They may not be entirely different from the games that did exist, but they're not in development now.

Some people seek out what they like. Some people buy what they're sold.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Yeah, bless the OE and Chris Robert and other people going for Kickstarter to make something we would remember more than 2 minutes after rolling the credits...

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

<snip> something we would remember more than 2 minutes after rolling the credits...

Can't remember the rest of the post... are we still talking about the smurf/pocahontas hybrid in space movie?

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

On-topic post! Kickstarter 500k threshold has been crossed so the backers on that side can be counted as officially committed (they can still withdraw their pledges individually of course), and added to the main counter, the project as a whole is less than $150k away from meeting the overall $2m target so the slightly uncomfortable status of meeting one goal but not the other shouldn't last for very much longer.

Looks like some additions to the various tiers are also pending, a T-shirt seems inevitable now at the very least.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

• 2 weeks later...

IGN interview with Roberts:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/02/star-citizen-the-ign-interview

I don't like where the talk about death penalties may be going. If I wanted to get ganked EVE style I'd play EVE ;)

He talks about Demon's Souls and how death there was not arbitrary, but Demon's Souls is not a MMO.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Combat is less zergy if you lose your kit when you die I think, was kind of like that in JG back in the day (you kept your ship there at least).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 2 weeks later...

Well if anyone is still interested in backing this, here is my recruit a friend link ;)

https://www.robertss...izen/?rid=26324

I'm glad this game has been funded, it looks like an exciting project.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

$5.1 million with 15 hours remaining. I was really intrigued by Privateer, but never really played the early Wing Commander games. Had my share of fun with X-Wing/Tie Fighter.

Probably gonna stick with some old fashioned mercantile shipping.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

It's interesting. The number of backers I don't think exceeds much what PE had, yet it has sooooo much more money. Must be some wealthy wing commander fans.

Some of the stuff that's planned sounds cool. But I haven't pledged because it sounds sketchy to me. Fully sized carriers in single player? Where you can board them? Hundreds of NPC personnel aboard? Seems out of scope even for 5.5mil

And how the hell are you going to fly a carrier? I doubt it will be like EVE, with everything just works.

Edited by anubite

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

They already have outside funding lined up. The crowdsourcing was one way to assure their investors that there was still demand for this type of game.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

It's interesting. The number of backers I don't think exceeds much what PE had, yet it has sooooo much more money. Must be some wealthy wing commander fans.

I find it interesting that if the average donation amounts held up, they were banking about $70 per backer which is more than a standard retail game. Probably due to a combination of having a lot of stuff to show off and the complete lack of anything comparable on the market. What else have space sim fans had recently? Black Prophecy? Meh.

Helps that the minimum pledge tiers were a bit higher than pretty much any previous Kickstarter too, and that even those were limited in number. :p

In the end I didn't bump up my $125 pledge as I had planned because I'm feeling Hero-U might need the cash reserved instead, but will look to possibly increase it in the future.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Hm, weird. I had managed to scrape some loose change to make a pledge on kickstarter for this.. and I've just received the message from Amazon that the payment to Cloud Imperium Games has failed.. but they don't say why. <grumble> Now i'll have to dig into this to find out whats going on.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

PE had a touch under 74,000 backers. Star Citizen had 89,963 backers all up.

To be honest I'm surprised at the number Star Citizen got, I would never of though it would surpass $6mil in pledging.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

• 8 months later...

Since you're happy i bet you don't have any problematic characters in your name or callsign. :) Otherwise you'd probably be ???? them with more ????????????s  :D

Yeah. Only took them a few months to get it to me. It arrived the day after I filled in the second survey for replacements... So I am expecting a second card to reach me around christmas ;)

• 2 months later...

How the heck does Star Citizen have $26 million in funding crowd sourced??

And it doesn't seem to be letting up.

Seems like an obsession for some users to pledge and pledge more and pledge even more - maybe Roberts should close the thing at 30 million or so to avoid getting a reputation of ruining his backers. Although its their own fault of course ;)

Hopefully, there will be a lot of good exploration gameplay to be had, and a not overly humorless militaristic Squadron 42 story...

• Like 1

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority