Matt Chat Interview with Sawyer about Eternity

Still not buying cool downs. You cast a bunch of spells and they lock out with a cool down. What exactly happens during that cool down while you can do other stuff that allows them to be unlocked again in the first place? It's so artificial and non-involving.

And is it not better to focus on the known problems of a pre-existing tried&true system and improve on it instead of coming up with an uncanny mix of everything without any street cred? Especially that has repeatedly failed to be at least as good in most if not all of its incarnations?

Grimoires is an excellent idea, though.

But this idea of certain spell levels being locked out has evolved from D&D 3rd/4th ed magic rules, doesn't it? I read on the forums that system has "encounter abilities" as well as "per-day" abilities. So it isn't exactly untested. I was a big critic of this initially (because I played dragon age expecting a BG experience and couldn't even finish either of the games). But honestly, I think this system can achieve the challenges of the IE games while at the same time innovating the genre with grimoires and so on. I'm actually quite excited to see the finished product. And Obsidian haven't even bribed me with anything to say this.

Cheap-skates :(

They think my style strange,

I think they all the same.

Still not buying cool downs. You cast a bunch of spells and they lock out with a cool down. What exactly happens during that cool down while you can do other stuff that allows them to be unlocked again in the first place? It's so artificial and non-involving.

Non-involving? As opposed to resting all the time is so involving? Anyways, who cares it's a game.

• Like 1

^ A fair point. If they can find a balance between resting and spam (neither being good) then they will have squared the circle.

I once posted about running a pen & paper game in, I think, 2001 - 2002. The players wanted to rest after every battle. They had all gotten into PnP via Baldur's Gate.

It was telling.

• Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

^ A fair point. If they can find a balance between resting and spam (neither being good) then they will have squared the circle.

I once posted about running a pen & paper game in, I think, 2001 - 2002. The players wanted to rest after every battle. They had all gotten into PnP via Baldur's Gate.

It was telling.

LOL. I had a couple of players come to me in a game I ran that fit that description perfectly.

Player: "oof, that was a tough fight. We wanna rest up and get our spells back."

Me: "ummm, it's 9 am ..."

Player: "So?"

Me: "You're not tired"

Player *blank stare*

16 hour sleep lockout. You don't need to resort to cooldowns or 4E rules to prevent people from sleeping every 2 hours. Not that I understand the big deal. An easier solution seems to be just not to sleep every 2 hours.

• Like 1

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

Actually the real problem is the people who rest spam. The people themselves. Couldn't we just eliminate the people and leave the game untouched? Trying to prevent people from ruining their own game for themselves seems like a losing proposition to me.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

16 hour sleep lockout. You don't need to resort to cooldowns or 4E rules to prevent people from sleeping every 2 hours. Not that I understand the big deal. An easier solution seems to be just not to sleep every 2 hours.

That will just result in me getting a sandwich or walking the dog while I wait for the 16 hours to go by so I can actually get some use out of my mages at a dungeon boss fight. That's not really great game design.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"make mods"

best advice ever.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

"make mods"

best advice ever.

lol, i was going to quote the exact same thing :D

here's my mod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=545161

where are yours people? ;)

overall i realy liked those interviews, josh is such a nice person with a lot of great ideas

i'd totaly play this "magic gone wild in 19th century" game he talks about

Edited by lolaldanee

Well I haven't made any mods, I've helped others making theirs, but I don't desire a job in the game developer world, well, maybe narrative design.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

• 3 weeks later...