Encouraging Euro-Asian Interest

Drawing Euro-Asian Audiences  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What "pull" should be used to gain European and Asian audiences?

• Largely inexpensive commercials on websites popular with the rich.
    • Radio Shows and Late Night TV in Europe and Asia.
    • Have a secondary round of Asian funding, releasing manga in Asian conventions, and game-play proof.

Good God, that part raised my blood pressure. Such arrogance! I wanted to punch him trough my monitor.

Don't even try, bub. My monitor is armed and ready. :)

Anyway, I hadn't meant that these nations were freed by any nation but themselves. If we disagree on a political term, that belongs in another discussion entirely.

As to getting computer games to Central & Eastern Europe, Asia, the Middle East, etc. I think it would always be worthwhile IF it's affordable. These people deserve good computer games and I think Obsidian could bring good computer games to the world. Yep.

No. You're being missionary about it. This is a niche entertainment product--good business decisions for such a product only exist as a matter of projected ROI. Full-net marketing for audiences known to lack interest is naive at best and very wasteful at worst. Possibly even offensive.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

There was a poll on these forums and it revealed that the majority of people who participated were European. I was surprised too but there you go.

The only other thing is that you might get more German donations when paypal is activated since credit cards aren't very popular there but CRPG's certainly are, or so I've heard.

Good God, that part raised my blood pressure. Such arrogance! I wanted to punch him trough my monitor.

Don't even try, bub. My monitor is armed and ready. :)

Anyway, I hadn't meant that these nations were freed by any nation but themselves. If we disagree on a political term, that belongs in another discussion entirely.

As to getting computer games to Central & Eastern Europe, Asia, the Middle East, etc. I think it would always be worthwhile IF it's affordable. These people deserve good computer games and I think Obsidian could bring good computer games to the world. Yep.

It's been over 20 years since the end of communism in Poland so I wouldn't call it "recently freed". Baldur's Gate was one of the most popular games here around the time it was released. I don't think you have to worry too much about letting people know about P:E since the people who are interested already know about it from the Internet. The marketing will probably be done by the local publisher if there will be one and I believe there will since computer gaming is still popular here and many people refuse to play games featuring large amount of written text if they are not translated.

Edited by BasaltineBadger
  • Like 1

I'm an Asian (Southeast Asia akchully) here, so I guess I have some insights to the Asian gaming behaviours. Most of them won't be appreciating the old school western rpg.

I mean you should understand just how different Japanese RPGs are when compared with ours.

The fact that I've been trying to explain the awesomeness of old school western RPG has been a failure for the last 10 years will just prove that creating a marketing strategy or even target the Asian market would be much fail.

Plus, we'd just pirate it anyway or play some ****ty free online RPGs.

The price conversion alone would make lots of first timers blanch at the thought of spending 20++ USD on a game concept that is so much different from their normal fare.

I play Steam and of all the other Asian friends I've known, only ONE has played Baldur's Gate and he is still hessitant to pledge.

I would say Russia & Europe to be more of a better option and we've had a slew of interesting games coming from the continental in the last decade.

If Asia must be chosen as a market, I'd have to say it's Singapore. Singapore's much more cosmopolitan than most of the other countries and has their fair share of cultural mingling so they'd be closest to be able to appreciate Western RPG. Althought still not viable enough to be profitable.

• Like 3

computer gaming is still popular here and many people refuse to play games featuring large amount of written text if they are not translated.

I do believe that European CRPG could sell here remarkably well. I hope to see more European CRPG (from European companies). I think Poland should be approached because of their fascination with Fantasy fiction and Science Fiction -- I wish Polish authors were more often translated into English. Anna Brzezinska is an author I should read! Also, most people do not know that the computer game The Witcher was derived from Polish fantasy literature.

An international computer gaming situation would be rich and beautiful.

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

computer gaming is still popular here and many people refuse to play games featuring large amount of written text if they are not translated.

I do believe that European CRPG could sell here remarkably well. I hope to see more European CRPG (from European companies). I think Poland should be approached because of their fascination with Fantasy fiction and Science Fiction -- I wish Polish authors were more often translated into English. Anna Brzezinska is an author I should read! Also, most people do not know that the computer game The Witcher was derived from Polish fantasy literature.

An international computer gaming situation would be rich and beautiful.

European RPGs do sell well here (Gothic series is a cult classic here) but no better than games from every other country.

• Like 1

Well, there is no 'every other country', since by and large, the only countries that really makes games are US/Canada, UK, France, Germany and Japan, with smaller/individual cases in places like Sweden, Belgium, Poland and Russia. (Germany might go here, too.) But yes, European games have been making rounds reasonably well the last 10 years.

I, personally, would not touch any East Asian market with a ten-foot pole after the Blizzard offices got raided in Korea. There have been some weird legal changes regarding video games there in the past few years.

That being said, it'd make sense to save more localization until after release when they see how sales look. I am 100% behind efforts to let people play games across the world, but advertising it and distributing it yourself can be a legal nightmare waiting to happen.

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

Yes, really. We could always use more!

(And please, no ninjas per se. They're a bit overdone.)

Edited by septembervirgin

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

Just a note to have a bit of care with the stereotyping. One mans fun is another mans mortal insult...

Polls are worthless, but Obsidian mentioned in a passing comment years ago (I think just after NWN2 had been released) that they performed better in Europe than the US. I don't remember the exact wording or the exact quote, but they do seem to have a bit of a following there already.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

CRPGs are popular in europe, especially central europe and I'm a bit surprised that after revealing the stretchgoal for translations there wasnt surge of pledgers. CRPGs are also quite popular in Finland and other scandinavian countries but fortunately we dont need translations.

No.

Depending on what you're being negative to...

Yes. And not "yes no".

It might be worth adding Korean, Thai, or Japanese translations, but I don't think the game should be changed to accommodate any stereotypical "Asian tastes"

I don't think it's worth adding those translations, asian tastes are completely different than western ones and there are so few potential pledgers and customers in asia that there's no sense adding those translations with the budget Project Eternity will have.

CRPGs are popular in europe, especially central europe and I'm a bit surprised that after revealing the stretchgoal for translations there wasnt surge of pledgers. CRPGs are also quite popular in Finland and other scandinavian countries but fortunately we dont need translations.

I'd say that's because most of the people from central Europe that would be interested in this project don't need a translation either.

Say no to popamole!

1. I don't need a translation, I play my games in English all the time even if (or because!) there's a translation, which more often than not ruins the immersion for me.

2. I think Germany is a very large market for CPRGs, we love them and we create them too (Gothic, The Black Eye etc.)

2. Give me the PayPal option already, I'm one of those many thousands silly Krauts who can't pledge as long as it's Creditcard-only.

• Like 1

NO to asian market "courtship"s.

1. I don't need a translation, I play my games in English all the time even if (or because!) there's a translation, which more often than not ruins the immersion for me.

2. I think Germany is a very large market for CPRGs, we love them and we create them too (Gothic, The Black Eye etc.)

2. Give me the PayPal option already, I'm one of those many thousands silly Krauts who can't pledge as long as it's Creditcard-only.

don't your lastschrift/bankeinzug cards have visa and mastercard capability as well?

(in denmark there are direct-debit cards (not credit card!) but 99% of them come with mastercard/visa capability)

Edited by molarBear
  • Like 1

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

like many other have said, i think Europe is pretty well represented as it is.

P.S. whenever you're trying to convey an idea to another culture you'd better learn about it before opening your mouth :) things like "recently freed" and "asian tastes" are not... smart.

"Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain."

- Isaak Yudovich Ozimov

I'd say that's because most of the people from central Europe that would be interested in this project don't need a translation either.

or Eastern Europe...

"Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain."

- Isaak Yudovich Ozimov