What type of "player house" would you like?

Choose your "player house"  

378 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like most as a "player house"

im in the minority here, but the castle from nwn2, i found to be great. especially since it was relevant to the story nwn2 was telling. the dynamics were great and i was always anxious on getting back to the keep for new informations , quests, upgrades, surpise visits, etc. for example: the dynamics with the amateur adventuring group(who goes on to spy for you) was great. in these scenes i was torn apart if i should send the (amateurish) group on such dangerous quests, etc. it made me feel emotions(at least for me) that a lot of the new games(dragon age 2)were not able to produce for me. i want to live in the world and with my character and not just fly over them.

So i am 100% for something similar like crossroads with the great dynamics and variety between managing your keep and exploring for treasures,items, gold, to upgrade/make better the keep and your companions. and im against something as dumbed down as the da:o camp or the horrible warden castle in awakening.

but these are just my 5 cents :)

• Like 1

I'd like an underground hidey-hole type house, with a hidden entrance, because I don't want anyone stealing my stuff. :biggrin:

...but I suppose a fortress would do in a pinch.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

im in the minority here, but the castle from nwn2, i found to be great. especially since it was relevant to the story nwn2 was telling. the dynamics were great and i was always anxious on getting back to the keep for new informations , quests, upgrades, surpise visits, etc. for example: the dynamics with the amateur adventuring group(who goes on to spy for you) was great. in these scenes i was torn apart if i should send the (amateurish) group on such dangerous quests, etc. it made me feel emotions(at least for me) that a lot of the new games(dragon age 2)were not able to produce for me. i want to live in the world and with my character and not just fly over them.

So i am 100% for something similar like crossroads with the great dynamics and variety between managing your keep and exploring for treasures,items, gold, to upgrade/make better the keep and your companions. and im against something as dumbed down as the da:o camp or the horrible warden castle in awakening.

Crossroads Keep was used by the developers as an example of a "player stronghold" that requires management and not the type of thing they're looking at the player housing to be. I do enjoy the customisation and management aspects, but then it needs to tie into the story a lot more, so I can see why they're staying away from that. Something like the Sink from New Vegas seems more likely. Somewhere to store your stuff and interact with your companions, maybe with a few quests to get some optional upgrades.

Since when did Baldur's Gate 2 have a player house? Other than the De Arnise Keep? Or have I completely missed something?

Anyway, an Inn which you can run for me. Loads of potential for stuff there what with people from all over the world visiting. Dealing with thieves who want some "protection money", listening to rumours, getting your party members wasted for funny dialogue, running gambling tables, making your own hooch, bribing (or murdering) corrupt city guards, bouncering troublesome adventurers, listening a bard tell tales of your grand adventures etc. the possibilities are endless.

i think it should be class dependant at first and there should be multiple choices

for example as a thief you should start out as either a thief who does it for fun who actually was born into wealth and has a room in a local manor, or a thief who steals to survive, living in a sewer, or an alley, or the city dungeon

a fighter might live a nomadic life, living at the local tavern and hiring himself out as protection or maybe you have a day job as a town guard and you sleep at the barracks

a mage could have a room at the local magic academy or a cottage in the woods near town if he doesnt like distractions, or even a magically created tower or stronghold

a cleric or paladin might live in a humble room at the local temple or have a home on the second floor of the church that they run

or at some point in the game you can adventure to a mage's tower full of arcane items and books and have the option of moving in after youve driven off whatever bad guy was there. this could also be done with a haunted mansion, a fortress, a cave-dungeon, a man made dungeon, whatever.

or be given homes as rewards for great deeds, in which case it could start out as something small or maybe youre a knight given charge of a keep.

at some point when the character is powerful it would be nice if you could run a whole town as a lord, deciding how to customize your keep and how to tax the town, how much money to spend on guard equipment, building and or upgrading local services like the tavern, guilds, shops, and then send other adventuring parties out into the world to deeds for you and pay them for it in some way, and get the macguffin you sent them after in return

all this would get rid of the hobo part of the murderhobo stereotype of player characters

Edited by Erlioth

Since when did Baldur's Gate 2 have a player house? Other than the De Arnise Keep? Or have I completely missed something?

Yes, you've completely missed something. Each class had a stronghold quest. De Arnise Keep was for Fighters. There were also stronghold quests for Thief, Mage, Bard, Druid, Ranger, Paladin, and Cleric. May have missed one but that's off the top of my head.

One which is tied to my character's class, personality, overarching plot, does't just serve to stock loot and has related quests and stuff.

I agree with this. Similar to BG2 for each class with more related stuff. However, this being the first game, it would seem strange to me that I would have something similar to the De Arnise Keep in a low level game. I couldn't imagine having something like that in BG1.

I think having a house is nice, but something of this magnitude and depth like BG2 would probably be suited for the sequel.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II

Despite the top vote being "Fortress" thus far, I certainly don't want a fortress.. at least not straight away I wouldn't. I would like a list of choices that can be had throughout the development of my character(s). And at some point I would also like to have that place of residence become a shop as well. A shop very much like Recettear: An Item Shop Tale's setup. So after the game is done, or at least at some point in the later stages of the game, I can open a shop.. and then use the items and things I get through questing as things that can be purchased and use crafting to make things as well. So it's like a mini-game within the main game.

So with this in mind, a fortress could have multiple shops in the courtyard area, which services a nearby village... but a fortress by itself, without any other function than to display trophies, would be too big and boring.

Crossroads Keep was used by the developers as an example of a "player stronghold" that requires management and not the type of thing they're looking at the player housing to be.

I do enjoy the customisation and management aspects, but then it needs to tie into the story a lot more, so I can see why they're staying away from that.

Something like the Sink from New Vegas seems more likely. Somewhere to store your stuff and interact with your companions, maybe with a few quests to get some optional upgrades.

And exactly that is one of the other things bothering me. it feels more then dumbed down. Don´t get me wrong i also immensely enjoy more recent games like fallout:nv, etc. but these homes do nothing for me. in fact they remind me of my wow or lotr online years(except for the companion interaction) as these house feel more like a quick storage room. it doesn´t feel like a house i life and rest in. and if i want a quick storage room, pls give me a chest or something where i can put my things(i don´t need a house to do that) and that i can acces more quickly then the running around in fallout:nv or other similar games.

The other aspect i find saddening is that there ain´t(at least to my humble knowledge) more games out there where they bind the house into the storyline. i personally always liked these story´s because the feel more epic. i am not saying you can´t make epic storylines for games without a stronghold/keep (see da:o) but i simply like the fact that you command your own keep with servants ,etc and where you see it evolve and get the rewards for your labor.

Edited by Cheffchantier

I hate big houses in RPGs (aka fortress). I prefer something smaller that doesn't make me feel like the richest person in the game. Like a ship or a medium-sized house (it still need to be big enough to house my companions).

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I've always wanted my very own mage tower in a game. With at least 5 levels and a few sub levels too.

This, me too.

Also I think there should be different solutions to this, like in BG2 orrr all of mentioned should be in game if devs can implement it. Depending not just on character, but characters playstayle. Even if you play a mage, it doesnt mean you would not be a good pirate (hence ship) or fortress if you aim at nobility or just if you want to create your own organisation like we heared about so many in BG. (that we were acually fighting against) Inn sounds like something rogue would like to have, lot of travelers pass by, information passes on. Might upgrade inn to Brothel. (Bealish comes to my mind). There is just sooo many ways to implement this is it fits world and story.

Still, if devs just choose to have a sort of plain house, than at least let us have an option to style that house according to our playtype. Building and refing it depending on our character type and companions we have. Has anyone seen new Xcom game...base but but you build it like an antfarm sort of. Would mind having these options here myself, so I can build my own Tower :D

magic021.jpg

...an Inn in a town called WoT (the WoT came 'fore the WWoT) on a Black Isle... :yes:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way