y'all are bugnuts

Gromnir

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t1

sure, the linked article references egypt, but virtual all o' the rest o' the world distinguishes between freedom o' speech and freedom to offend. is nuts.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Same reason why people still think that the Aurora shootings were in the States.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I was talking to a US diplomat who works in Iran a few years ago, and he told me how difficult it is to correct the blatant misinformation and propaganda there is out there about the US. The common people in many of these places are convinced all Muslims are rounded up and put in prison camps, or worse, on a regular basis.

The only way to combat this stuff is education.

On one hand, you can't go screwing around with things people consider sacred. I'm disgusted at the (mis)treatment Christianity regularly gets in Europe and the US. US is sort of divided into hardcore camps so I can understand all **** slinging between them, but Europe is a disgrace considering that Christianity made it what it is today.

On the other hand, who are they (moslems) to demand a special status or even respect. Respect is a two way street last time I checked, and as far as anything non-islamic is concerned, they have none (as a collective, as individuals, well, its individual) . Case in point: boarded up and walled off christian churches in the middle east with believers living in constant tension.

If we were to talk about respect, I'd suggest they start giving real freedom of worship - the kind they get (and abuse) in every western country for free. No? Well then, you just don't need these mosques then, do you?

Sadly the only way to earn respect with them is to reply in kind and show backbone.

Lastly Mohammed was historically at least a ruthless killer, and his last (wife?) was a child so its not like they're slandering him too much (or at all). If its factually correct, there is no ground for complaint.

PS: I still don't see the point of making such movies or what any (good) intent behind it might be.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

In a video game twist. One of the state department crew that was killed in the same attack as the Ambassador was also one of the leaders of EvE onlines players.

http://kotaku.com/59...e-online-player

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

No, he died because he was an American political figure and close/vulnerable. For most of the world where the US has or had a presence that's reason enough, for Arabs especially + they're fanatical enough and not (as) afraid of retaliation.

This really has nothing to do with the film at all.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/12/world/middleeast/anger-over-film-fuels-anti-american-attacks-in-libya-and-egypt.html?_r=1

am imagining what the reaction would be here in the States if some random yutz in cairo posted an animated film o' a pot smoking jesus christ having sex with mary magdalene and st. john. am suspecting the reaction would be... nothing. have mobs form and attack egyptian or libyan embassies and kill random folks in airports who looks like they might be from the middle-east?

nuts.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

http://www.nytimes.c...egypt.html?_r=1

am imagining what the reaction would be here in the States if some random yutz in cairo posted an animated film o' a pot smoking jesus christ having sex with mary magdalene and st. john. am suspecting the reaction would be... nothing. have mobs form and attack egyptian or libyan embassies and kill random folks in airports who looks like they might be from the middle-east?

nuts.

It's your weakness. Westlings don't protect own culture and identity from destruction.

nuts.

It's your weakness. Westlings don't protect own culture and identity from destruction.

Yes, peaceful Eastern Europe does a wonderful job protecting their cultures from destruction. Just look at Kosovo or Chechnya or Serbia or Kurdistan :rolleyes:

Kosovo is in Serbia. Bad example anyway, we were protecting our culture, successfully, until the US intervened against us.

Chechnya is a republic of the Russian federation that instigated a civil war and was ultimately defeated. I don't see what it has to do with this discussion at all, except that it was a war of islamists vs "eastern europeans" and the islamists lost.

Both conflicts were very bloody, but um, that's what war is like.

Kurdistan isn't even a country, its a region in the Middle East and has nothing to do with eastern europeans at all.

Regardless, the west is good at protecting its own interests. Its just that culture is no longer among them. Its all about the moneys nowadays, which is what you get when you put businessmen in power and let them rule over everything.

And the east is absolutely, depressingly, same in that regard.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

nuts.

That the west turns a blind eye to disrespect towards the book they swear to, "in God we trust" etc - is not a portrayal of how wonderfully tolerant it is. More like, apathetic and fragmented to the point that anyone can say and do just about anything without fear of sanction. While a reaction might happen in the states, europe is disgraceful in that regard.

Well except if you dare question the prevalent multicultural dogma, then you're looking at a quick trip to personal and professional ruin.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

The westling culture is in no danger whatever of being destroyed. Funny how you use the same venacular to describe Chechnya as the Chinese do Taiwan. How are the demographics, how much support do the seperatists still enjoy. Given that the Russian authorities don't shy away from torture or disappearing people in the middle of the night it's not an easy thing to answer. You don't want to be on the record if you live there.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

It's silly to lump Europe, the UK, the US, Canada, and a bunch of other areas into a general concept like the West. They all have unique cultures, and they all do plenty to preserve them. The US is also not a single culture, it is an incredibly diverse nation. Every state has a unique culture, and within those states there are a ton of unique communities.

Boo, you were right to call me out on the carpet about my list. I was throwing out a few names with very little information, because I know very little about that part of the world. I've never spent time there, and all I have to go on is what I read in the news. I am fairly ignorant on the subject. But that is what kills me about the folks here who attack the US. They are also not well informed, and yet they repeat the same ignorant garbage time and time again.

I spend my summers visiting cultural landmarks all over the US, and I can tell you with certainty that the preservation is remarkable.

Edited by Hurlshot

When the US gets represented with things like this;

It's not wonder people look down on your nation.

And atheists might be bastards, but atleast we are honest.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken