Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

However, way too much of the gameplay revolved around simply fighting enemies to get the magical foozles away in various dungeons. Lowest common denominator-type stuff all the way.
I value Morrowind than Oblivion because of the setting but...was the combat of Morrowind any good compared with that of Oblivion? I didn't stick to Oblivion enough to buy expansions, though.

Apparently, same-sex romances are in Skyrim.
Gay marriage in a Norse-themed setting? I cannot be surprised. TES has lost strong concept existed in Morrowind, which reminded me of settings such as Glorantha, to some extent.

Gay marriage in a Norse-themed setting? I cannot be surprised. TES has lost strong concept existed in Morrowind, which reminded me of settings such as Glorantha, to some extent.

I'd link to one of those Kronar comics on Oglaf, if it wouldn't get me banned.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

BLOOD AND THUNDER! :)

I downloaded Shivering Isles, but I gave up on it literally right after beginning it. I don't know what it was. Maybe I was just all Obliviond out. I never got around to finishing it.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Show me your honor. No! Your other honor.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

VICTORY AT SEA!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I downloaded Shivering Isles, but I gave up on it literally right after beginning it. I don't know what it was. Maybe I was just all Obliviond out. I never got around to finishing it.

A pox on SI!

Apparently I'm one of the few who loathe it; even though the landscape is reminiscent of parts of Morrowind, and the npc's are vaguely interesting, its mere presence (and plot) just doesn't seem to fit. I played through once when it first arrived, finally went back years later to make sure I wasn't wrong. The atmosphere still grew stale and grating rather quickly, and I still found it hard to care one whit about the 'struggle'. And seriously--how many players actually wanted to become a god? I'd have uninstalled and been done with it a long time ago if its resources weren't required for the majority of player-made mods.

As for same-sex relationships in Skyrim, I had heard they were possible ... just not required or even obvious. As in, not 'in your face' as they are in DA. I'm fine with that, if it's handled well; it's not my thing, but I know some who will enjoy it--to each his own.

My biggest argument with the upcoming game is requiring Steamworks, whether you buy it retail off the shelf or not. That's nearly a game-killer for me, can't say now if I'll buy it or not. This is a single-player game--and my little single-player heart says 'hell, no'. Disappointed with Bethesda, I am.

elderscrollsvskyrim.jpg

Look, I don't know where the rest of you are hiding all this "collector's edition" expendable income, but please send some of it my way. It seems that with each announcement of a super-duper version of any given triple-A title, the price keeps raising in increments of at least $20. Last month, we found out that the "Batman: Arkham City" collector's edition will empty your bat-wallet for $100. Then, came word of the "Lord of the Rings: War in the North" limited edition that is so hardcore, you will gladly hand over $130 to wear an arrow quiver to the local GameStop every Tuesday.

Today, Bethesda has announced the collector's edition of "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim," and I hope you've been saving some rare dragon scales somewhere, because it's $150.

Link

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I miss the days when CE's were $10-$20 more. I can't believe I got a lunchbox and a bobble head for Fallout 3 and it only cost an extra $10. It's getting insane.

Also, the extra digital content is ridiculous. I'm already paying to play the game, we have a set price point for those digital goods, don't try and sell me an extra fake weapon or fake hat for more money.

i like that fallout 3 lunchbox. the only collectors edition thingie i've ever bought.

this dragon scrolls statue just looks way too nerdy for me. maybe if i was 15 i would have wanted it?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I've gotten a few cool CE's over the years, GTA4 came with a functioning lockbox, Saint's Row 2 had a tin box with some decent swag, my WoW and LotRO boxes look good on a book shelf. But they used to be just a bit of extra swag, now they are getting insane, and I get the feeling that they are really trying to milk as much profit as they can here. It used to be more of a nice thing for really big fans who wanted to put in a little bit extra.

Can't think why anybody would waste money on that crap, even if they really like the game (or rather, expect to like it).

I do sometimes like to have big maps of the gameworld, but not if it's bundled together with.. I mean, that dragon is probably styrofoam or something, no?

I'm all for jacking up the prices on the various special editions. As long as it helps keep the cost down on the regular version, why not.

and yes, $150 is preposterous. But some people have the money, so let'em have it. And as long as they keep buying, keep raising the price.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

i think slowtrain has the right idea. these items are completely optional, and if it nets a few bucks for a developer then more power to them. i'm the same mind about non-obtrusive dlc stuff too. if selling alternate costume packs makes enough money to fund a sequel to a good game, then great. just dont have the game apart to artificially create dlc.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'm not keen on the trend either but I can see the appeal for developers, easy money from the die hard crowd...though thinking about it, they're the ones who should probably be rewarded for their dedication, crazy world :o

I thought the New Vegas box set was very classy, shame they haven't gone that route, or at least offered some kind of middle ground.

for the real die-hards, the chance to buy a $100 skyrim statue IS a reward

I would never buy such a CE, because at some point there will be the question... "Where the hell should I store all this stuff in my house?"

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."