Wheel of Time RPG

Andhaira

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=1802091#1802091

I started a discussion on the Codex about Obsidian's upcoming blockbuster, the Wheel of Time RPG. This is a game I am very passionate about, having dreamed of playing in it since I first read the novels oh so many years ago. (As an aside, I am currently in the planning stages of running a pbp post game using the d20 version of the game converted to Star Wars SAGA edition. The free conversion pdf, professionaly made with many new talents and feats can be found online).

Anyhow, I would invite everyone else passionate about the game to post in the thread there, on the Codex. Developers from Obsidian are also welcome to post there, we at the Codex miss you all.

We at the Codex tried to contact Red Eagle Entertainment for an interview for this game, but never got a response. I wanted to interview Obsidian, but we figured that since they don't own the rights to the property, they probably don't have permission to do an interview. If this is not the case, and if Obsidian CAN do an interview with the Codex, please let me know.

Regards

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=1802091#1802091

I started a discussion on the Codex about Obsidian's upcoming blockbuster, the Wheel of Time RPG. This is a game I am very passionate about, having dreamed of playing in it since I first read the novels oh so many years ago. (As an aside, I am currently in the planning stages of running a pbp post game using the d20 version of the game converted to Star Wars SAGA edition. The free conversion pdf, professionaly made with many new talents and feats can be found online).

Anyhow, I would invite everyone else passionate about the game to post in the thread there, on the Codex. Developers from Obsidian are also welcome to post there, we at the Codex miss you all.

We at the Codex tried to contact Red Eagle Entertainment for an interview for this game, but never got a response. I wanted to interview Obsidian, but we figured that since they don't own the rights to the property, they probably don't have permission to do an interview. If this is not the case, and if Obsidian CAN do an interview with the Codex, please let me know.

Regards

Like Red Eagle Entertainment would actually do something with the license. There's a good reason why Robert Jordan disliked the company.

Hate the living, love the dead.

If they make an adventure/RPG spin-off similar to the Shannara game from Legend Entertainment, I'm already happy. For instance, playing as an Aes Sedai and picking up companions along the way. The setting is so vast, they don't need to follow the material from the books at all.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I can't wait :lol:

Been looking for a half decent wheel of time game (the FPS was terrible) for a LONG time. Used to play WOTMUD, but living in the UK gave me a terrible ping while the people closer to the server were getting 20 ms. That and the whole thing was text based...

Now, a MMORPG based on the WOT storyline wouldn't just have a lot of potential, it'd be a great earner if they did it right.

Trying to find a good class balance is difficult enough and has been the death of many an online game. Not listening to the players can be just as deadly as paying them too much attention. On the positive side, there's a plethora of engines capable of delivering a great experience already on the market-all they need is a tweak to give them the WOT 'feel' and presto. Money for old rope :)

Now, fingers out pretty please-we're waiting!

I presumed the 'wut' was at the 'was terrible' part, since it was a pretty decent game, at least for non die-hard fans of the books. There've been plenty of far worse adaptations.

It was quite good actually. And I think it had a quite big online community playing it as well.

Seriously, running around picking up ter-angreal like they were 10 a penny? Quake was the last thing they should have been basing a WOT game around :rolleyes:

Well at least Legend/GT Interactive did something with the licence.

The only thing die-hard fans of the books can complain about, is that you can balefire Ishamael in the game decades before Rand al'Thor is born.

Been ages since I played it but I do remember a few problems. Wasn't balefire itself an anachronism too, lore wise?

Doesn't really matter, didn't bother me at the time and certainly doesn't now.

and there's nothing wrong with it

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

• 11 months later...

That's not surprising at all. Red Eagle Games/Entertainment doesn't have the money to fund the game. That's why they tried to Kickstart a F2P WoT game which failed badly.

Wouldn't it make sense for them to sell the rights to someone who can fund the game? I mean, it seems to me that the rights to a franchise are only valuable if you can do something with them. *shrugs*

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Wouldn't it make sense for them to sell the rights to someone who can fund the game? I mean, it seems to me that the rights to a franchise are only valuable if you can do something with them. *shrugs*

Yes it would. But who knows, maybe the contract forbids them selling the full license. Or maybe they think they can build something awesome suddenly... which has eluded them for years.

It really is a shame what Red Eagle Games is doing with the license. The saga is coming to an end so now would be a perfect time to announce a high quality Wheel of Time RPG to let the fans know they can continue their adventures in that setting.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.