Nexus: The Jupiter Incident

Purkake

Since the sequel has been officially announced and apparently no one has heard of, let alone played this, I made this nice thread for it.

Now take your minds back to 2004, it was a dark time indeed, the home consoles were eating PC gaming's lunch and the future looked gloomier than ever. But not all hope was lost, a few still braved the stormy markets and made sophisticated PC games to rival the best the consoles had to offer. Once such company was the Hungarian Mithis Entertainment.

Nexus was everything a space RTS should be and more. Instead of focusing on large fleets and hectic action like Homeworld, it took the more tactical approach of giving you a few ships with customization and much more tactical combat. It features individual weapon control, targeting a wide variety of subsystems, power management, boarding parties, drone fighters/bombers, layered shields and much much more. Most importantly it has a pause feature, which lets you take your time when making decisions instead of the hectic hotkey mashing you get in most RTSs.

Here is the most decent gameplay footage I could find. Nexus the Jupiter Incident is available on Steam for $10 and unfortunately not on GOG.

Nexus2.jpg

jupiter-underfire.jpg

Edited by Purkake

Ah yes, last mission killed my old PC. Wonder where the disc is, hm. Homeworld was as awesome as this though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You get others as the game progresses, forget how many, but maybe 4 or 5 ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

There's only one ship. Where's the fleet.

Second picture, left sidebar. I think you'll get up to 7 in the campaign.

You can have a whole bunch in the multiplayer. Oh, and there's a ton of mods as well, including an pretty good

one.

I'll kill you for the subtitle Purkake. :bat:

Played Nexus for a short while. Wasn't a bad game at all.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

If Relic had used this engine for Homeworld the awesome would have fallen in on itself and sucked us into an alternate universe where everything is great. It would have been a universe without this board, and I don't think anyone would have wanted that...

Edited by Purkake

If Relic had used this engine for Homeworld the awesome would have fallen in on itself and sucked us into an alternate universe where everything is great. It would have been a universe without this board, and I don't think anyone would have wanted that...

Homeworld's art direction is several light speeds ahead of this, dunno what you're talking about.

The problem was the sequel sucked in most other respects.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

I have. Its lack of a tutorial and a decent introduction to the overall mechanics was a killer. I remember getting stuck at some point in the beginning with no help from the game as to how to proceed so I dropped it after a few days.

The gist of it is that it didn't draw me enough to put some real effort into it. Too many sliders and opaque upgrades whose function is not explained well enough, and not enough ships.

But I did get an impression that the game was unfairly ignored by the press and gamers in general.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

im going to buy it, and then probably never play it.

i want to play it. but really, who am i kidding, my backlog has nearly 60 games in it. im not gonna play this one either.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Nexus was fine, but I still wish they would have made Imperium Galactica 3. :) Nethertheless, this is next to Homeworld the best thing you can get.
Nexus was supposed to be IG 3, but something happened then it wasn't anymore.

Anyway, I got this game bundled to a magazine I bought, but the DVD version was asking for CD 2 and I couldn't install it in the end.