4 the lulz

Walsingham

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13848510

Lulzsec apparently delivered a DDoS attack on the UK Serious Organised Crime Agency today.

Thoughts?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

So that's

Sony

Epic

WoW

League of Legends

Sega

Bethesda/Brink

cia.gov

FBI (particularly agregious)

Dispite saying in a previous tweet that "Dude! We totally aren't hactivists!" they now loudly proclaim "We totally are doing this to prove how unsecure things are"

Also copycats have popped up.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm guessing the clock on these children being apprehended is ticking down rather quickly.

What if they're Russian, Chinese or North Korean, though?

Their command of, and use of, english on their twitter says that at least one is almost certainly a native speaker.

Hm, in a way it's beneficial to bring attention to lax security. Reading their twitter, they have some good actors or really dumb people as fans - lauding them for sticking it to those in power, The Man, etc. Well, hopefully all that results is networks hardening. Or governments making the net a safer place, heh.

One suggestion I had seen, was to make it illegal to store passwords in plaintext, that'd be neat.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm guessing the clock on these children being apprehended is ticking down rather quickly.

Russia and China have authorities, and they certainly won't be protecting this type of behavior.

Do they even have the internet in North Korea?

Russia and China have authorities, and they certainly won't be protecting this type of behavior.

China has been the source of numerous hacking attempts. Attempts subsequently linked to the apprehension of dissidents. Further, you have multiple statements by senior PLA staff in the past ten years indicating a drive towards multi-dimensional 'capability' - i.e. cyber space. After all, if you have an opponent who relies on info technology, where do you hit him?

I think you may be being naive, Hurlshot. Of course, it doesn't prove anything. I'm just saying you might be.

I think the more sensible approach by China would be a 'fostering' approach. they don't crack down on hacking as much as they might, then purchase looted information on the open market. Far more simple and deniable than running a branch of government that can't be held at arm's length. Rather akin to Pakistan 'using' militant groups for so long.

~~

At some levels it's probably good to have some big breaches, because I don't believe these organisations had been taking hacking seriously. On the other hand I think there's a ludicrous notion that all hacking is good. SOCA handle hugely important data concerning ongoing investigations into very nasty chaps. Is it really sticking it to the man to break open an investigation into heroin smuggling? Or is it destructive narcissistic bull****?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I believe that China is fairly untrustworthy when it come to cybercrime and hacking, but I just doubt that this group specifically is going to get away with it even in a place like China. The 'look the other way' approach can only go so far, when a group is this brash, it is just a matter of time until the poop hits the fan.

hm, two articles that might be of some interest..

U.S. military sharing secret cyber threat info with defense contractors

and

Cyber war sabers rattle

The former is about what it sounds like, the latter concerns how a formal Pentagon strategy is looking at defining specific types of digital sabotage as acts of war that could demand military retaliation.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

hm, two articles that might be of some interest..

U.S. military sharing secret cyber threat info with defense contractors

and

Cyber war sabers rattle

The former is about what it sounds like, the latter concerns how a formal Pentagon strategy is looking at defining specific types of digital sabotage as acts of war that could demand military retaliation.

Damn we'll hope they get the IP address traced correctly before deploying the missiles...

Meh, a bunch of people doing the cyber equivalent of vandalising street lamps and phone booths, how incredibly helpful.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

One thing about Lulzsecis that they're not really showing that much vulnerability in most of the stuff they do. All they did to several of the sites was a simple DDoS attack, not barging into the server and yutzing around with files or anything.

"Sony

Epic

WoW

League of Legends

Sega

Bethesda/Brink

cia.gov

FBI (particularly agregious)"

BIO, too, I believe as they lost the old NWNJ and NWN2 boards. R00fles! Though, I'

m sure that's more a copycat thing.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Gorth, that's a neat way of putting it. If I piss in a lift am I doing anyone a favour by highlighting how easy it is to piss in a lift?

-Elwood Blues

Arrested a 19 year old supposedly related to it. http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/06/21...-scotland-yard/

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Bunch of little ****s ruining things for the rest of us.

But China worries me. They are constantly hacking our government every single ****ing day to try and steal US defence secrets because they see Australia as a weak link. Which we probably are. Sigh.

I'm eagerly looking forward to everything going back on bloody paper. They said I was mad to buy filing cabinets! Mad! MAAAAAAD!

-Elwood Blues

I'm eagerly looking forward to everything going back on bloody paper. They said I was mad to buy filing cabinets! Mad! MAAAAAAD!

Wals.. I hate to break it to you, but it was about a lot of other things that they called you MAAAAAAD! >_<

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I don't know why everyone's making such a big deal out of it, just a bunch of scrip kiddies with SQL injection and DDOS. Anon bringing down Visa and Mastercard was probably a bigger deal.

Also, it's well beyond high time to take a more serious look into web security. Andyone who didn't hash and salt their passwords in this day and age deserves all the negative PR they get and more.

Edited by Purkake

Lulzsec pwned.

By other hackers.

-Elwood Blues

Live by the lulz, die by the lulz. Kinda makes me wish I looked into cracking and security.

I think it's kind of cool, I mean as long as there is no profit involved and sort of an activist agenda going on. Hopless romantic when it comes to antiestablishmentarianism, what can I say.

You need a little chaos in the system, not because it's good in and of itself, but because you would definately miss it if it wasn't there.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.