Pointless boxed version?

So i bought the boxed version. Regional release date conflicts aside, it just got worse.

I finally get to install it, from the disc, it loads up steam, and starts......downloading. 4 and a half GB of game. So wtf is the point of the disc in the first place then..?

Welcome to two years ago.

Oh? I mean seriously, the reason most people buy the boxed, physical copies of these games is so they don't have to download so much, they expect to install most or all of it from the disc

Edited by Lumathe

So i bought the boxed version. Regional release date conflicts aside, it just got worse.

I finally get to install it, from the disc, it loads up steam, and starts......downloading. 4 and a half GB of game. So wtf is the point of the disc in the first place then..?

Abort the download and start the setup.exe from the disc again.

Abort the download and start the setup.exe from the disc again.

Tried that, wont let me abort it. WILL let me pause it. But then when i run the setup again it just resumes the download and keeps going.

Edited by Lumathe

Argh, on the other hand, my download site just gave me a CD-Key and I need to download the whole thing from Steam... which is about 10 times slower than everywhere else. ;)

We're getting a hold of Steam. CD copies shouldn't require you to download a huge chunk of the game after installation. Apologies for that hiccup, but that's definitely not intentional, and we'll post more info as soon as we get it.

Oh and for anyone seeing this behavior, please post what country you're in so we can forward that info to Steam. Thanks.

We're getting a hold of Steam. CD copies shouldn't require you to download a huge chunk of the game after installation. Apologies for that hiccup, but that's definitely not intentional, and we'll post more info as soon as we get it.

Oh and for anyone seeing this behavior, please post what country you're in so we can forward that info to Steam. Thanks.

Yeah, i'd say 4.38GB is a big chunk ;) And I'm from New Zealand.

Oh? I mean seriously, the reason most people buy the boxed, physical copies of these games is so they don't have to download so much, they expect to install most or all of it from the disc

I always thought it was because some people liked to own something physical.

I guess it sucks for NZ.

Is there a Day 1 patch? My friend discovered the hard way that Steam doesn't actually patch anything, having picked up The Witcher 2 from Steam, instead of GoG.com. While everywhere else you download a small patch that replaced what needs replacing, with Steam, any changed file gets completely re-downloaded, which meant a 9GB+ download for every patch. If DS3 has a large file that got changed with a day 1 patch, that might explain why people have such a large download on installation.

Fortunately, I understand Steam is working on a new content system, so patching, rather than complete file replacement, is in Steam's future, but that doesn't help much right now.

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that (for me & my fast 'net connection anyway) that if it's a "Steam game", there's no point to buying the disc. But I can totally understand if your connection is on the slow side, or if you have strict DL limits, being able to still install offline is important. Games today are huge. :/

In terms of Steam's DL servers being slow...I find it just depends what time of day you're trying to DL. My US time, middle of night = pretty darn fast, but mid-afternoon/evening = slower than a snail. I don't try to DL new releases the instant it's available. I'll wait until 11pm at least. heh

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Fallout New Vegas did something similar to me and a bunch of other people when it released. Here are the instructions that worked then:

1. Log in to Steam and click on Library.

2. Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm.

3. Insert the first disc into your computer.

4. Close Steam (Steam > Exit).

5. Press Windows Key + R to open Run

6. In the Run window type:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.

Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.

7. Press OK. Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc.

Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

I always thought it was because some people liked to own something physical.

I guess it sucks for NZ.

Sucks for everywhere...why do you think consoles started getting REALLY popular over the past decade. As DRM came on strong, and hardcopies disappeared (having to d/l a game after you buy a supposed hard copy on a DVD or CD in the store isn't really a hardcopy) the only way to really have hardcopies of games (except for a few publishers who still are gamers making games FOR gamers) is to buy on console.

This started happening 5 years ago however, and has been growing ever since. Most of the time hardcopy for PC is a joke now days...as in hardcopies don't exist.

10 hours and still counting for the bloody Steam download. Now it's having a laugh by doing the last 100mb at 30kbps. And based on past Steam experiences, it'll do a backflip, try to redownload files, crash itself, then slap me in the face twice before I get to play.

Screw you, Steam. Your hideous malware makes my legit games worse than pirated copies.

Sucks for everywhere...why do you think consoles started getting REALLY popular over the past decade. As DRM came on strong, and hardcopies disappeared (having to d/l a game after you buy a supposed hard copy on a DVD or CD in the store isn't really a hardcopy) the only way to really have hardcopies of games (except for a few publishers who still are gamers making games FOR gamers) is to buy on console.

This started happening 5 years ago however, and has been growing ever since. Most of the time hardcopy for PC is a joke now days...as in hardcopies don't exist.

Yeah, it's been happening for a while.

Consoles started getting really popular because of their ease of use, established user base and fixed hardware. Downloadable games are pretty big on consoles as well. And I personally love the hardcopyless PC gaming.

10 hours and still counting for the bloody Steam download. Now it's having a laugh by doing the last 100mb at 30kbps. And based on past Steam experiences, it'll do a backflip, try to redownload files, crash itself, then slap me in the face twice before I get to play.

Screw you, Steam. Your hideous malware makes my legit games worse than pirated copies.

I had my grievous problems with lotr online client self downloader (pando media boostertm - piece o' crap), where i dled the client with the official downloader it didnt work first. hours of dling later thanks to the lack of consistency check which could have cut down problems drastically in the case of 10x1gb i got the client down quite ****ing pissed. never hooked on the game again. Now with utorrent or any other good bittorrent client this would have not happened. you can practically crash your system without too much of a problem. No experience with steam though.