Feedback from other forums

Reboots suck. Refinement is what gamers want in sequels. Reboots like the DA2 reboot suck hard. This is an even more brutal reboot. At this point the game needs the story to save it but we shall see.

Everyone always says "the demo doesn't show the full game so you can't judge it". BS. The full game is always slightly better than the demo but the demo offers plenty of opportunity to figure out if you will enjoy something. People said the same rubbish about the DA2 demo but I was able to gain a strong enough opinion to know that I would have been p'd off if I would have paid full price for DA2. So I waited until I could get it for 30 bucks. DS3 is going to have a hard time convincing large numbers of gamers to pay full price. Original Dungeon Siege fans who don't do their homework are going to be really disapointed. People hoping for a solid MP ARPG experience are going to be disapointed.

After a careful and thoroughly scientific* analysis of NeoGAF's reaction, I conclude that the response was 3/4 negative or non-positive.

Also, love that that GameFAQs screenshot :teehee:

*no actual thoroughness or science was used in the creation of those statistics

Edited by Purkake

Reboots suck. Refinement is what gamers want in sequels. Reboots like the DA2 reboot suck hard. This is an even more brutal reboot. At this point the game needs the story to save it but we shall see.

Everyone always says "the demo doesn't show the full game so you can't judge it". BS. The full game is always slightly better than the demo but the demo offers plenty of opportunity to figure out if you will enjoy something. People said the same rubbish about the DA2 demo but I was able to gain a strong enough opinion to know that I would have been p'd off if I would have paid full price for DA2. So I waited until I could get it for 30 bucks. DS3 is going to have a hard time convincing large numbers of gamers to pay full price. Original Dungeon Siege fans who don't do their homework are going to be really disapointed. People hoping for a solid MP ARPG experience are going to be disapointed.

You can't judge every single game by its demo. I don't know how DS3 will turn out, but I will give you one example: Risen. The demo didn't impress me at all, but I decided to get it anyway. Suffice to say: I think Risen was great..

Having finally played the demo (After previously playing much more :ssh: ) it's almost like a completely different game. Losing the sidequests, the interesting conversations, stopping it right as it starts getting good... I mean, I love you guys, but I think you showed what's probably the slowest and least interesting part of the story's build-up, and then somehow made it worse by cutting a lot of the retail version's stuff.

The PC control thing I can't say anything for, because I did all mine on the PS3 and thought the controls were butter-smooth with a controller, but in terms of the combat and the pace and the JAYNE KASSYNDER and everything, It gets a lot, and I mean a lot better after the point where the demo ends. I just couldn't figure out where all the bad reviews were coming from until I put some time into the demo-restricted version, and I don't think it does a good job of showing just how fun the game can be at all.

Good to hear. The demo seemed to have doors to two separate sidequest dungeons so many are clamoring for; why didn't they include that those :*.

Having finally played the demo (After previously playing much more :ssh: ) it's almost like a completely different game. Losing the sidequests, the interesting conversations, stopping it right as it starts getting good... I mean, I love you guys, but I think you showed what's probably the slowest and least interesting part of the story's build-up, and then somehow made it worse by cutting a lot of the retail version's stuff.

The PC control thing I can't say anything for, because I did all mine on the PS3 and thought the controls were butter-smooth with a controller, but in terms of the combat and the pace and the JAYNE KASSYNDER and everything, It gets a lot, and I mean a lot better after the point where the demo ends. I just couldn't figure out where all the bad reviews were coming from until I put some time into the demo-restricted version, and I don't think it does a good job of showing just how fun the game can be at all.

Good to hear. The demo seemed to have doors to two separate sidequest dungeons so many are clamoring for; why didn't they include that those :*.

Why? because the game is extremely linear, like ffxiii (pic shows the first half of the game, roughly 10 hours)

final-fantasy-xiii-extreme-linearity-side.jpg

People are clamoring for open-maps/ something to explore; not fetch quests.

Edited by Subliminal

It's almost as if you didn't read my post and decided to stand on your soapbox instead of giving an insight to the question.

You're right, and I can't answer that question; nobody but pirates and the developers can at this point. I was pretty sure that question was rhetorical. But I did comment on what you thought people were expecting from the game.

"Why didn't the demo include the dungeons that exist in the full game?" "Because the game is extremely linear." It's like interviewing a politician! :ermm:

I agree it was stupid to do that in the demo then not have any indicators that has happened - you'd never know stuff was cut when you play. Seems like so many demos are plagued by silly marketing decisions like these.

Are people really basing how the entire game will play on how the demo plays? :thumbsup:

I really like all these arguments.

The point of the demo is to show what the game is like, if you're going to base your opinion on anything then the officially demo made by the developer in order to show off the game(presumably well enough to the get people interested in it) sounds like a pretty good place to start, no?

The demo may not offer a good slice of the story, but the core mechanics are there and they even overlevel you to make sure you can try more than 1 ability. Seems reasonable to me to assume that's how the game plays, so if you don't like it, you likely won't like the final product.

That actually brings in a rather uneven experience and is one of the problems. Also the "immediate Ressurecton" mechanic in the demo distorts the experience.

Furthermore, going back to Obsidian itself. The core mechanics of Alpha Protocol are not even liked by many people that love the game (and they were way worse there. Truthfully, of all of Obsidians games I actually think DSIII belongs to the ones with the best core mechanics aside from the current control sheme). So, its not that easy to judge.

The demo gives you a first impression. If you can't stand it. Then yes, you'll probably not like the final product. But its going way too overboard to judge the entire game by it. And again, the things that were shown in the demo (first hour of gaming) are usually the worst part in Obsidians games.

That it is a badly put together demo is fully Obsidians fault though and they will have to live with the customers they lost through it.

Edited by C2B

The demo may not offer a good slice of the story, but the core mechanics are there and they even overlevel you to make sure you can try more than 1 ability. Seems reasonable to me to assume that's how the game plays, so if you don't like it, you likely won't like the final product.

Yup, the other option is that Obsidian made a bad/non-representative demo, but that would be their fault and not the players'.

EDIT: High five, C2B

Edited by Purkake

I guess no demo at all would have been better than the one we got?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I guess no demo at all would have been better than the one we got?

Nah. For all the people who decided to cancel their pre-order, there are also people who decided to buy the game thanks to the demo. In both cases, it's the purpose of a demo. It will perhaps teach people not to pre-order as much as they do right now, which is always a good thing in my book.

right now the only ones suffering from it are the DS fans, denying themselves this new experience. most people who enjoy games like CoN will buy DS3 regardless, because they don't read messages on forums. Obsidian might miss out on royalties eventually because of this whole demo disaster, and even that is highly unlikely (if there even were any royalties mentioned in the contract).

Obsidian's reputation will still be standing strong. SquareEnix will definitely make their money back. besides SE doesn't really have a choice since they're in a world of **** currently.

so all is well with the world, the only thing I'd like is to unsee this section of the forums and everything written in it, before I lose all hope in humanity

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

right now the only ones suffering from it are the DS fans, denying themselves this new experience. most people who enjoy games like CoN will buy DS3 regardless, because they don't read messages on forums. Obsidian might miss out on royalties eventually because of this whole demo disaster, and even that is highly unlikely (if there even were any royalties mentioned in the contract).

Obsidian's reputation will still be standing strong. SquareEnix will definitely make their money back. besides SE doesn't really have a choice since they're in a world of **** currently.

so all is well with the world, the only thing I'd like is to unsee this section of the forums and everything written in it, before I lose all hope in humanity

Well, the backshlash on the PC control system was strong in all respects so its not only DS fans.

Edited by C2B

If by "stand strong" you mean not get worse then sure, but Obsidian's reputation as it stands outside these boards is really bad.

Well, the backshlash on the PC control system was strong in all respects so its not only DS fans.

Luckily that is a small fraction of the market.

Edited by Purkake

If by "stand strong" you mean not get worse then sure, but Obsidian's reputation as it stands outside these boards is really bad.

I'm not so sure about that. Granted I mostly only see GT comments, but most of the people don't even seem to know the company. Or they don't care.

I'm not so sure about that. Granted I mostly only see GT comments, but most of the people don't even seem to know the company. Or they don't care.

Obviously I mean people who know the company. At least on GAF Obsidian is synonymous with "buggy mess" these days.

on GAF Obsidian is synonymous with "buggy mess" these days.

eh, what do they know

Walsingham said:

I really like all these arguments.

The point of the demo is to show what the game is like, if you're going to base your opinion on anything then the officially demo made by the developer in order to show off the game(presumably well enough to the get people interested in it) sounds like a pretty good place to start, no?

The point of the demo is to give people a general idea what the gameplay will be like, as well as one or two examples of how the quests might be laid out. But I don't think I've played a single demo that basically was *exactly* like the final end product. Not to mention, you can't base stuff like story, character depth, choice & consequences throughout the game, level design for *all* levels, etc. on a demo.

Think of KOTOR II (another Obsidian game). If in the demo they let you play, say, the opening planet, Peragus. You'd come away with the impression that it's pretty lifeless since there isn't really anyone to interact with, and very, very confined since you're basically "trapped" on that station the entire time (until the escape). So if you came away from that demo thinking the entire game would be that lifeless or limiting, you'd end up being completely wrong, since after that the rest of the planets could be visited in any order, and there's a lot more interaction to be had on each of those planets.

Which was my point. Some folks are already writing off the entire game, and all its components (ie. how open the quests are and how open the maps are), based on the limited stuff seen in a demo.

Edited by GhostofAnakin

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)