Keeping Drizzt kit

Question for the mod people:

If I've set my prefix to BJ#, and my NPC's name is Auden, would I then have to set my filenames to BJ#Aude? Because BJ#Auden is 8 characters, so BBJ#Auden for the necessary banter file wouldn't work. Would a BBJ#Aude.d alongside BJ#Auden.d and BJ#Auden.baf be recognized, or would I have to change them (and all references to them) to BJ#Aude.d and BJ#Aude.baf in order for the banter file to work?

Edited by Pop

Pop am looking at dialogue but to be honest it's OK and I don't want to tinker with it for the sake of it. Am making some adjustments and working on a legendary Monk V Edwin lawful neutral / lawful evil banter-off.

sonsofgygax.JPG

The next version of the Auden Mod is completed! Here's the stuff that's been done:

CHANGELOG:

v1.0b

- After many hours of labor, found the error in my code causing the kickout / rejoin dialogs to mess up. Big ups to vilkacis over at SA for pointing out the initial flaw - turns out the naming convention I used was one letter too long.

- Changed the names (and contents, where appropriate) of every relevant file to reflect the new, non-conflicting author prefix (BJ#, because why not).

- BJ#Auden.baf scripting error fixed, prefixes corrected.

- Dialogue editing and text cleanup, particularly re: The joining dialogue. More opportunities to opt out of conversation, a more "evil" (read: Dickish) way of starting it, and few more places where you can solicit his joining. Props to Monte Carlo at Obsidz for the feedback.

- First PC-Auden banter written and implemented. Should fire about 12 minutes after joining!

Here it is. Feedback appreciated!

http://www.mediafire.com/?aidowv972da9558

Edited by Pop

When I first met Drizz't, in late 1997, I wasn't aware of his legenday status in the novel industry as yet.

Story time...

My shy scout was sneaking through a unfamiliar area..then the lower screen started showing combat results and damage, for something happening somewhere. So, I'm like..."huh?" and I hit the pause button, and look at my guys who are hiding far far away on map. They are safe. Hmm..whats going on? I unglue pause, and rub away more grey map. Some guy is beating up big guys-with-halberds..alone. Another hireable npc? Hmm..I hope he's a Cleric, haven't found 1 yet, and I need 1 bad.

Wow..look at him run! His speed is unbelieveable! Now, if my scout could run like that...hmm *rubs chin *. "Shakes head" I'm a nice guy..I don't do that kinda thing. Besides, he looks kinda like a elf. At least, I think thats a elf.

*fight ends..and Drizz't starts running toward the magically invisable 'and' stealthed scout Ross Witchen..who is wearing 'Boots of Non-Detection'. He's the primary character and doesn't talk to ANYONE, unless the path of the story demands it*

Hey, he's coming right for me! What the %^&$. * hits pause button* I'm too far from the map edge, and he's way too fast. He's probably ganna cough on me, and give me a disease or sumething..or place some dam gees on me. Besides, he shouldn't be seeing me. I've played Activisions's Battlezone custom senarios..so I'm aware of a computer code that lets the computer say to AI's "hey...Mr. Nasty..he's over there..here's the exact ccordinates".

Decision...I-am-not talking-to-this-computercheat. He's ganna have to die.

So the very parinoid scout turns off steath..and runs toward his party. Party is given attack orders..party = paladin from the ground worm map..A'sumething, the mouse Ranger guy, his girl friend that almost got me killed, a shy elf mage with a sword I want, and someone else that Ived forgotten. Lots of Invisibility spells memorized, since this was a scouting mission only.

The attack order makes Drizz't go red circle (I think..unless its after the 1st attack). I pass my guys, who attempt attack, while I run by screaming "get him off me..get him off me". Ya ya...you novel readers are probably thinking...this guy has got to start reading more mainstream books. Anyways..thanks to Black Isl'es unawareness that there are people like me who play computer games, I have a Zues-powered boss on my butt, and I don't know it yet.

My guys land ranged attacks on Drizz't. Little if any effect. Uh oh. And the worse thing is...Black Isle has Drizz't programmed with a "kill the main character 1st" script..as if the tatle-tail script wasn't bad enough.

Now I hate Drizz't..and the programmer who put him in this game.

* I pause the game* I get something to drink..and my hands are sweating and shaking abit. I've lost control of my scouting efforts..and I don't like it.

"target lock" that thought , again, made me think of Battlezone (the original version..not the crappy version 2). In battlezone..automatic static guntowers maintain a "target lock" on the 1st target that comes into its 200 meter range..whether they have line-of-fire (or LOS..in WOW terms) to the target or not. So, if u drive a useless non-combat tug near it..behind a big rock..the gun tower will just stare at it...all day..waiting for a chance to fire. During that target lock..another tank can drive up to it...and fire at the tower..while the tower ignores the tank. This is a good thing.

Ok, lets try it...you guy cast invisibility on eachother..just to be safe..then make a invisible circle with that big rock over there. Hurry, this wierdo is getting closer.

* Ross witchen* uses alot of pause-unpause babysteps around objects, to make crude AI pathing program waste time taking longer to go around the same objects. In 2011, I think the AI takes these turns much better in other games.

K, they are almost done...here I come. *runs into the circle, a character closes the door* Gosh...how I love object-orientated game design. Now I start shooting at Zues...I mean..Drizz't, whatever. I run outa bolts, and he's not dead yet. Wow...look at him run around my circle, looking for a way to get at me. He's ganna break my monitor running around that fast. Plus, im kinda weak at shooting. So, I get our best bowman, after carefully pulling him outa the outer circle. I'm cutting it close, Drizz't can almost reach me.

Finnally, this guy dies...7(9?) rep point loss toward evil. Who is this guy? Ok, time for those magical items that make him run fast *drools*. Scimitars, and stone shaped like a cat? Nothing else that I remember. What a jip.

End of story

---- ------- ------- ------- ------ ------ ------- --

BTW, thanks to WOW's insecure new player access to thier servers, throu a 3rd party ID system, the e-mail account that I almost never ever use had been hacked. The hacker now poses as my e-mail's alias ( P-sumthing). So if this Oblivian...I mean..*looks up at top of screen* Obsidian gets spam mail from my old old old e-mail account, know it wasn't me.

And, I quit WOW because of this incident.

---- ---- ---- ---

Edit: Noticed I keep refering to Battlezone 1. I also know that wiki currently says BZ didnt appear till 1998. This is an error on wiki's part, as BZ and G-Police were distributed free with STB video cards. I had bought the video card to play BG1, and was surprized to find the 2 free games :lol:

Edited by Ross_Witchen

* happy sigh *

There needs to be a nostalgia thread of epic BG1 moments, like wandering into the basilisk wilderness by mistake for the first time, or Firewine ruin pathfinding / Kobold ninja sniper dilemmas...

sonsofgygax.JPG

The next iteration of my mod is online!

CHANGELOG:

v1.10

- Edited / tidied up existing dialogs.

- First two PC-Auden banters implemented and tested. They won't make much sense if you pick Auden up after making the Spellhold run, but I'll cross that bridge when everything else has been done.

- First banters with Minsc / Jaheira / Yoshimo added. CTRL+I causes them to fire, but beyond that they are untested.

- A handful of interjections have been thrown in, no reason why they shouldn't work. There are a few related to the slaver eradication quest in the Slums, one when meeting Lord Fierkraag in the Copper Coronet, plus one when starting up Renal Bloodscalp's quest, and a random interject with a beggar (at this point I'm going for interjections on par with or slightly more frequently than standard CNPCs).

Get it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?9flua7xa8h4mch7

Remember to uninstall the old version before implementing this one!

As always, if you give this a spin and have any feedback at all, let me know. thepopstalinist at gmail.com

The 8-character block name limit has stolen several more hours from my life. This time, it's funny.

Anyway, I'm still looking for folks to give me feedback on this mod. New version (1.2) is up, here are the changes:

v1.2

- Edited / tidied up dialogs / banters.

- Whole boatload of interjections added, in conversations right up through Suldenesslar (spent a good night combing through the CREs with Infinity Explorer, looking for good spots).

- First banters w/ Aerie, Viconia, and Jan added. All banters should fire - unwittingly used a 9 character name with the 8 character naming convention and that caused a few stutters with Minsc, but they've been smoothed out, at least if debug mode is to be believed.

- Added ~InParty(name)~ conditions to the baf banter code. Now the Auden-NPC banter timers will start only when either the Bio CNPC or Auden joins the party, whichever comes first.

- Fixed interjection bug causing Auden to hijack Lord Firkraag's script, thus causing him to drop out of the party and disappear, and Firkraag to stand in place and yell out to the PC for all eternity. Just bumped it up a few lines, so it's out of sync with everybody else in the party who comments, but it still makes sense. I discovered how to fix this without moving the interject but I'm frankly too lazy to bother.

(I also fiddled with the banter timers so they don't fire so soon - I was running through the Free Hendak quest immediately after picking Auden up and the first PC banter was starting before I finished it. Most other timers have 10+ minutes added as well)

send me a PM or an email at thepopstalinist at gmail.com and let me know how I'm doing!

Edited by Pop

• 4 weeks later...

Version 1.3 of my mod is up! Here are the changes from last iteration:

CHANGELOG:

v1.3

- A few new Jaheira banters.

- A few new PC-Auden banters, one of which will only trigger after the last Jaheira banter.

- Adjusted banter timers to make them a bit longer. Should fire every ~40 minutes.

- Added a couple of new "innate abilities" to the character, to be added once certain banter increments have been reached (and Auden's level hits a certain number, where appropriate). The abilities are functionally identical to the Mirror Image / Oracle / Minor Spell Deflection mage spells, usable once per day. Many thanks to Zyraen at Spellhold Studios for the coding direction on that one.

At this point I'm just about done with the NPC / Jaheira banters, I think. I don't want to go overboard. First banters are also in place for Minsc, Aerie, Jan, Yoshimo and Viconia. Adding another 3-4 banters per character plus all the ones not listed is going to be a lot of work! Not to mention that my experience playing with a few of the Bio NPCs is limited (particularly Haer'dalis and Edwin) so I'm not sure how I'll do any good writing on that front. Lots of poring over Infinity Explorer, I imagine. But yes, it's there if you want it :)

I would consider both among the more interesting characters... Edwin for his personal quest and Haer'Dalis for being incredibly annoying without being the farting, burping kind of annoying (yes, I hate Jan Jansen, never a scroll of Gnomicide around when you need it).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I would consider both among the more interesting characters... Edwin for his personal quest and Haer'Dalis for being incredibly annoying without being the farting, burping kind of annoying (yes, I hate Jan Jansen, never a scroll of Gnomicide around when you need it).

They just never fit in to my party composition - I guess you could call me a stat gamer, since I made sure to always have a fighter, a thief, a mage and a cleric (or Jaheira, who has her Harper raise dead spell) and he kept getting the short straw, probably because he takes the longest out of any Bio NPC to recruit.

Haer'Dalis is pretty efficient in combat, but useless as a thief (though he gains access to spike trap HLA).

Come to think of it, he'd probably be the gay romance option if Baldur's Gate were to be developed today. R00fles!

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Haer'Dalis is pretty efficient in combat, but useless as a thief (though he gains access to spike trap HLA).

Come to think of it, he'd probably be the gay romance option if Baldur's Gate were to be developed today. R00fles!

Yeah, he is there for the flavour and the conversations, not for the utilitarianism. Being a male protagonist, flirting with Aerie while having him in the party was an interesting (and unexpected) twist.

@Pop: What do you mean, the longest to recruit? I know he isn't there for your starting party, but I found Mazzy more troublesome to recruit (without the cheating 'Daylight' sword at least). Cernd too for that matter.

Reminds me I still need to finish a game with Cernd in my party :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

@Pop: What do you mean, the longest to recruit? I know he isn't there for your starting party, but I found Mazzy more troublesome to recruit (without the cheating 'Daylight' sword at least). Cernd too for that matter.

That quest where you recruit Mazzy is probably the first one I do after the slavers quest, the Thief Guild quests and the serial killer quest. It's clearly the easiest of all exterior dungeons, I'm surprised someone would need 'cheating' to get through it. If memory serves me right, Haer'Dalis requires a romp through an Illithid dungeon and then a quick visit in a planar prison that counts a few demons among its jailers. Definitely harder.

That quest where you recruit Mazzy is probably the first one I do after the slavers quest, the Thief Guild quests and the serial killer quest. It's clearly the easiest of all exterior dungeons, I'm surprised someone would need 'cheating' to get through it. If memory serves me right, Haer'Dalis requires a romp through an Illithid dungeon and then a quick visit in a planar prison that counts a few demons among its jailers. Definitely harder.

The built in level scaling adjusts the npc/sidequest "dungeons", so the last ones will feel harder than the first ones. Not 'cheating' per se, but Daystar (was that the swords name?) makes the shadow lords minions a pushover. Of course you have to convince the lich to part with it first, which is no small task for a beginning party ;)

Since I just installed the GoG version of BG2, I feel like playing again. Might as well try out Pop's mod.

They just never fit in to my party composition - I guess you could call me a stat gamer, since I made sure to always have a fighter, a thief, a mage and a cleric (or Jaheira, who has her Harper raise dead spell) and he kept getting the short straw, probably because he takes the longest out of any Bio NPC to recruit.

I think you might be glossing over some BG1 NPCs there. ;)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Trademeet & Windspear Hills aren't much harder than Umar Hills right after Irenicus' dungeon, considering the aforementioned level scaling and the fact that you can bypass fighting Firkraag (just like with the Shadow Dragon). What can be tricky about Firkraag's dungeon is that party of (evil) treasure hunters outside the maze.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

(million edits later, yeah I did remember right eventually).

IIRC, I always did Trademeet really early on and had very little trouble with it. Now I'm just wondering why. :)

Edited by Nepenthe

Trademeet & Windspear Hills aren't much harder than Umar Hills right after Irenicus' dungeon, considering the aforementioned level scaling and the fact that you can bypass fighting Firkraag (just like with the Shadow Dragon). What can be tricky about Firkraag's dungeon is that party of (evil) treasure hunters outside the maze.

Wait, you mean the Adamantine Golem isn't always in Firkraag's dungeon? That thing is immune to magic and to everything lower than +3 weapons, and it shreds melee characters as if they were made of paper. There are also the major werewolves or whatever they're called in english (I only ever played the game in french).

Wait, you mean the Adamantine Golem isn't always in Firkraag's dungeon? That thing is immune to magic and to everything lower than +3 weapons, and it shreds melee characters as if they were made of paper. There are also the major werewolves or whatever they're called in english (I only ever played the game in french).

At least the Adamantium Golem in DeArnise keep is level dependent, I assume the ones in firky's place are, as well.

Windspear, Umar, Planar Prison, That beholder cave of the cult of the eyeless etc. all have some added Oomph when you visit them later, at a higher level. So no, the golem isn't necessarily there when you visit Windspear. Nothing Jaheira can't fix with a staff +3 though, as the golem tend to get stuck in the doorway (and blocking the lesser golems in the process) :)