Libya

Walsingham

Well the government forces got smarter, using pickup trucks, etc. Whose brilliant idea was this to get involved now, NATO can't just do what would be sensible and leave these fools to their end now.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Maybe it's a cunning ploy to give them defective weapons.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I would too, but apparently Oby's ideas are not particularly uncommon among Russians. They really like their kleptocrats over there, it would seem. D:

Leaving aside the obvious fact that Oby is LoF, I'd agree.

Reference your observation, one of the most useful side-effects of losing the trenchant homophobia I had trained into me at school was the realisation and acceptance that some people just kinda enjoy being ****ed in the wazoo.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I don't know of any studies or surveys that confirm this, but an impression that was relayed to me from an insightful person I know who has travelled broadly is that there is a very strong correlation between places with downward-trending economic/social/political development and places with a high incidence and extent of belief in conspiracy theories.

Russia was one of his key examples-- it has much higher levels of technical education and developed infrastructure than in the Third World, generally, but the quality of life is deteriorating considerably. When so much of the population believes in outlandish conspiracies (as well as superstitions, bizarrely incorrect accounts of history, confirmably false medical beliefs, and the like), people regard their fates as out of their hands and don't invest in the betterment of themselves, their families, or their property. The extent of this kind of magical thinking in Siberia, Central Asia, and parts of the Middle East is staggering. (Again, a secondhand impression/opinion.)

Edited by Enoch

I don't know of any studies or surveys that confirm this, but an impression that was relayed to me from an insightful person I know who has travelled broadly is that there is a very strong correlation between places with downward-trending economic/social/political development and places with a high incidence and extent of belief in conspiracy theories.

Russia was one of his key examples-- it has much higher levels of technical education and developed infrastructure than in the Third World, generally, but the quality of life is deteriorating considerably. When so much of the population believes in outlandish conspiracies (as well as superstitions, bizarrely incorrect accounts of history, confirmably false medical beliefs, and the like), people regard their fates as out of their hands and don't invest in the betterment of themselves, their families, or their property. The extent of this kind of magical thinking in Siberia, Central Asia, and parts of the Middle East is staggering. (Again, a secondhand impression/opinion.)

Makes sense to me. Although I would suggest its also to do with the degree of democratic involvement in power.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Guest The Architect

And stupidity, at least for morons who live in First World countries who believe the same kind of crap.

Edited by The Architect

Reminder that:

* The rebels are NOT the same as the protesters - this is a blatant bull**** smokescreen that the West has put up so we can portray it as a good guys-bad guys conflict.

* The oversimplification of the war into good guys-bad guys conflict is plainly infantile. Unless we're talking about the Cambodian-Vietnamese War, there hasn't been a good guys-bad guys war since 1945.

* Their leader spent the past 20 years within 5 miles of the CIA's headquarters - this is not a legitimate revolutionary movement.

* The rebels are losing.

* The former intelligence minister - a man who was almost certainly involved in any historical repression that has taken place in Libya - has defected, into the open arms of the "humanitarian" west. Gee, wonder why he didn't say anything before now...

* The US military is now directly involved in ongoing violence in six countries (Afghanistan, Iraq, Yemen, Somalia, Pakistan, Libya), and will likely continue to add more to that list.

* War. War never changes.

Makes sense to me. Although I would suggest its also to do with the degree of democratic involvement in power.
Or perhaps it has to do with the fact that the USSR put a premium on education because they (rightly) identified it as the foundation of social justice and economic strength, whereas the current government of Russia is run by a bunch of thieves who stole the nation's wealth and sold it up the river. Edited by Rosbjerg
trolling

I suppose it's a stupendous coincidence that you turned up just as people had made it completely clear that Obyknevn wasn't believed?

Also, "black hearted"? Cute flourish.

-Elwood Blues

Indeed. I'm particularly impressed and intrigued by the rhetorical device of calling his audience incestuous wankers. I must remember to do it myself the next time I have a speaking engagement.

-Elwood Blues

I suppose it's a stupendous coincidence that you turned up just as people had made it completely clear that Obyknevn wasn't believed?

Like I said, I've been here as much as my post history suggests, but if I had to guess based on my own experience with you lot, I'd wager that this is not the first time you've made this kind of dismissive personal attack on Oby.

Like I said, I've been here as much as my post history suggests, but if I had to guess based on my own experience with you lot, I'd wager that this is not the first time you've made this kind of dismissive personal attack on Oby.

So for the record what is your view of 'her' posts?

-Elwood Blues

Guest The Architect

I don't know about lord commie fly boy but I have to say, so far I'm unimpressed with Oby. Unless she shows us, or more importantly, me, her boobs, then I don't think it's reasonable to reject your hypothesis that she isn't simply an alt of lord of flies, good sir.

Like I said: haven't been posting. Haven't been reading.

Russia is a gangster-state kleptocracy. It's a joke. Anything Putin's regime says or does is predicated on it's own utter self-interest, loss of Cold War hang-ups and defence of authoritarianism.

I feel sorry for the average Russian.

So, I take it you've been to Russia?

*sigh*

You know, you could make an effort to expand your knowledge of other countries beyond BBC World News. This aryan supermacy thing where US+UK+western europe+liberal democrat ideologues are the sole proprietors of common sense, best form of government, Justice, Morality and Goodness is getting really really old.

Everyone with half a brain can see what's going on in Libya. The supposed "democratic" movement and its "freedom fighters" fighting against the "terrible, Gadafi regime", are nothing more than a bunch of western paid and organized ragtag nobodies mobilized with the sole intent of bringing Libya and subsequently, its oil under US/EU colonial governance. Everything else is bs, plain and simple.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Russia is a gangster-state kleptocracy. It's a joke. Anything Putin's regime says or does is predicated on it's own utter self-interest, loss of Cold War hang-ups and defence of authoritarianism.

When your dropping population like Russia is, something has got to be wrong.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article...-16/433927.html

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globa...ulation-decline

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

When your dropping population like Russia is, something has got to be wrong.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article...-16/433927.html

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globa...ulation-decline

We have the exact same problem here in Serbia and its not so much a problem of a form of government but a high cost of living that isn't matched by general wealth. Western countries have the same issue, slowed by their reasonably well functioning economies and statistic fixing immigrants.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

We have the exact same problem here in Serbia and its not so much a problem of a form of government but a high cost of living that isn't matched by general wealth. Western countries have the same issue, slowed by their reasonably well functioning economies and statistic fixing immigrants.

Albania or Turkey have lower standard of living yet a high fertility rate.

Religion.

logosig2.jpg

We westerners don't buy Turkish or Albanian brides

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

*sigh*

You know, you could make an effort to expand your knowledge of other countries beyond BBC World News. This aryan supermacy thing where US+UK+western europe+liberal democrat ideologues are the sole proprietors of common sense, best form of government, Justice, Morality and Goodness is getting really really old.

Please don't patronise me, and as for the Aryan BS... I'm Jewish. Or is that really scary too?

sonsofgygax.JPG