News: Japan's Earthquake

BicycleOfDeath

I think you guys need to keep in mind that a meltdown is nothing TOO major. It's more a massive hit to the nuclear brand as well as the economic aspect of repairing the reactor than anything (I'd say losing reactors like this would be in the billion dollar loss range - not to mention Japan will be without like 10% of its power generation for a long time now... that's a huge loss).

It's not going to explode all over the city and it's not going to spew radiation everywhere - it's largely self-contained with a few minor leaks. People learnt from Chernobyl.

I think you guys need to keep in mind that a meltdown is nothing TOO major. It's more a massive hit to the nuclear brand as well as the economic aspect of repairing the reactor than anything (I'd say losing reactors like this would be in the billion dollar loss range - not to mention Japan will be without like 10% of its power generation for a long time now... that's a huge loss).

It's not going to explode all over the city and it's not going to spew radiation everywhere - it's largely self-contained with a few minor leaks. People learnt from Chernobyl.

Many years ago I read and studied the documents relating to the enquiry into Chernobyl. A lot of the problem caused by the initial accident was due to shoddy construction. Particularly badly made concrete foundations. Irregularities in the concrete aided the escape of the material when it might otherwise have stayed contained.

I know I'm being horribly racist, but one assumes that a Japanese reactor wouldn't be made with bloody awful construction standards. So, fingers crossed we can hope for the best here.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Many years ago I read and studied the documents relating to the enquiry into Chernobyl. A lot of the problem caused by the initial accident was due to shoddy construction. Particularly badly made concrete foundations. Irregularities in the concrete aided the escape of the material when it might otherwise have stayed contained.

I know I'm being horribly racist, but one assumes that a Japanese reactor wouldn't be made with bloody awful construction standards. So, fingers crossed we can hope for the best here.

I wouldn't say racist, since there are certain idiosyncratic to them. Namely their knack for technology and the intensity with which they undertake their task, compared to a badly built factory in the middle of Russia I would say that they have a bigger chance. Still I don't know enough to be completely sure that the worse won't happen.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Indeed, it was the 'planned' nature of the construction process, and its emphasis on bureaucratic targets rather than local control*.

However, it occurs to me that there are other ways cracks ay get into concrete. Just to suppose a wildly improbable example - a massive earthquake.

Interestingly the BBC have pointed out that none of the nuclear disasters so far have come close to the earthquake itself in terms of casualties. Nor, I would point out, the terror attack on the Twin Towers (assuming the BBC is correct).

*From memory the blame was laid on deliverers insisting that concrete had to be dumped and used as soon as it arrived on site.** But this is ten years since I read the report.

**In filthy capitalist construction this might occur through faulty contracting, but the company receiving would be free to adjust the terms.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

For a mushroom could the reactor would have to loose it's control ability on the reaction happening and then be fed... a lot, which would lead to the uncontrolled reaction you see when nukes go off.

A meltdown just means that a part of the reactor melted and is letting the radioactive material escape.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

My favourite: "those damn krauts deserve to be hit by a earthquake tsunami for nuking pearl harbor"

And: "who gives one **** about japan? not this guy. did they send aid when americans were dying during katrina? hell no, remember pearl harbor? Late justice."

Well...

http://www.america.gov/st/washfile-english...768313e-02.html

It's both funny and kind of scary to read these people's comments... You'd scarcely believe we live in the 21st century.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Why do you even bother reading those comments? I gave up long ago as the average youtube poster makes you weep for humanity.

It's my fond belief that at some point we will be able to retrospectively examine all the grindingly inhuman coments on youtube, trace them in realspace, and round every last sad angry ****er up, load them into a rocket, and fire them into the heart of the sun.

-Elwood Blues

Guest The Architect

YouTube is hilarious, never will you find a website with more trolls, they go after everything posted on there. Some of the comments are just priceless, it's pretty funny to see the reactions of Led Zeppelin fans when they get trolled with comments about how awesome Justin Bieber is.

Tokyo Electric Power Company will procedurally shut down access to electricity power in parts of East Japan. They've divided 7 prefectures into 5 zones, and each zone will experience 3 hours of blackout each day. As a result, depending on the area, some trains will either not be running or there will be fewer trains. There is also the possibility of water not running in powerless areas. The Japanese Ministry of Transportation has told people to "look into not going to work or school" tomorrow.

This is just great... I live in an area which not only has been put into two groups, but one of them may also experience two blackouts.

Tokyo Electric Power Company will procedurally shut down access to electricity power in parts of East Japan. They've divided 7 prefectures into 5 zones, and each zone will experience 3 hours of blackout each day. As a result, depending on the area, some trains will either not be running or there will be fewer trains. There is also the possibility of water not running in powerless areas. The Japanese Ministry of Transportation has told people to "look into not going to work or school" tomorrow.

This is just great... I live in an area which not only has been put into two groups, but one of them may also experience two blackouts.

So what's the skinny from the scene?

-Elwood Blues

So there was another hydrogen explosion at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, this one in reactor 3, which cooling systems failed yesterday. The explosion is similar to the one in reactor 1, but it's not certain whether this one ruptured the protective layer around the reactor itself, exposing the nuclear material, or not.

^ Yeah, I was really impressed by their reaction. Inspiring, to say the least.

For a mushroom could the reactor would have to loose it's control ability on the reaction happening and then be fed... a lot, which would lead to the uncontrolled reaction you see when nukes go off.
As far as I know, not even then a nuclear explosion could happen. "Enriched" uranium (~3% U-235) used in light water reactors simply cannot cause a nuclear explosion (for reference, weapons grade uranium is ~80% U-235 though lower concentrations are viable). This can't be stressed enough because I've been hearing talk these last few days of "nuclear explosions" and "exploding reactors". I hate when mainstream journalists can't seem to grasp simple concepts like the difference between an explosion in a nuclear facility and a nuclear explosion, and the fact that an actual nuclear explosion is the result of overcoming incredible technical challenges rather than a fortuitous event.

And now this cluster**** is at the very least, going to cause delays in the decision making process as it pertains to nuclear power and energy policy. I wonder what could have been the consequences if instead of a NPP, the quake and tsunami had hit a hydroelectric dam.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The Japanese are awesome. Their stoicism in the face of this crisis is humbling.

And, unlike Katrina, the Japanese have not resorted to looting or civil disorder.

My best wishes are with them.

Here here! Sir!

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Mother Nature yet again proves how evil and vicious she is. No mercy for her. I'm gonna got cut downa tree today just out of spite and not use it for anything.

My well wishes for the Japanese people.

And, shamefull finger wagging at the dinks in that link being scumbags taunting the victims.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Watching videos on the BBC and contemplating the shocking horror of sudden death all those poor people had to face. I'd also second Monte's commendation - for what it's worth - on the spirit of collaborative effort and stoicism the Japanese nation is evincing. I don't wish to cheapen that any further by comparisons...

Really makes me wonder why we can't seem to get our collective **** together and do something about the very real prospect of mass disasters: eruptions, earthquakes, meteorites... And since we're relatively anonymous I'll confess it makes me utterly despise the fevered halfwits who want us to abandon science and engineering and trust in abject prostration. I'm not saying all religion is like that, but there are strands of all faiths who are determined to focus on things like gay marriage or women's headgear or popular music when what matters is life and death.

*melancholy*

-Elwood Blues

SUPPLEMENTAL NEWS

The Japanese weather agency has reported that a volcano in southern Japan began spewing ash and rock even as the country struggled to recover Sunday from the catastrophic earthquake and tsunami.

Japan's Meteorological Agency issued a warning Sunday that the Shinmoedake volcano resumed activity after lying dormant for a couple of weeks.

The volcano is on Kyushu island, about 950 miles from the epicenter of Friday's magnitude 9.0 earthquake, which devastated much of the country's northeastern coast.

It was unclear if the eruptions were linked to quake, officials said. Japan lies on the "ring of fire," a seismically active zone where earthquakes and volcanic eruptions are common.

The volcano last erupted Jan. 19 after remaining dormant for two years. Volcanologists had warned that a "lava dome" was growing inside the volcano's crater, although it was uncertain when or if the volcano would erupt.

Sunday's eruption, which was the biggest volcanic activity in Shinmoedake in 52 years, caused widespread destruction and panic. The blast could be heard for miles, and shattered windows four miles away, the BBC reported. Hundreds of people fled the area as the volcano spewed debris, including hot ash and rocks, more than 6,000 feet in the air, according to BBC reports.

-Elwood Blues

What's next? A meteor strike?

I guess making all those hentai movies involving 14 year old girls and tentacles finally caught up with them..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!