Submarine warfare/naval warfare

Walsingham

I haven't played any of these type of games since the very earliest days. I wondered if anyone had any recommendations, bearing in mind I'm a big fat nerd and want things to be accurate.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

gah, I remember reading a couple of reviews 6 or so years ago, but I'm afraid not a lot of hardcore simulators have been released since then.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I have good memories of Sierra/Dynamix's Aces of the Deep-- a WW2 U-boat sim that is heavy on the historical accuracy. (The manual was basically a textbook.) But that came out in 1994, so finding a copy and getting it to run might be a challenge.

I have Silent Hunter 4, I tried the campaign but it was boring (probably my fault, not the game's), the individual missions seem quite exciting though, I only did one so far but quite enjoyed it.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Define a bit more what you're asking for... if you're looking for something where you're driving the ship, there aren't that many (most of them that I can think of are named here...). The only other ones would be the Battlestations! series for consoles... pretty dumbed down but you're driving a friggin ship.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm currently playing Silent Hunter 5, which I've been enjoying. Probably the best place for info on naval warfare are the forums at subsim.com. The modders there have also done a lot with the Silent Hunter series if you really want realism.

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

I really enjoyed War in the Pacific. Unfortunately my "Let's Play" of it never really took off simply because I ended up getting so busy :shifty:

The game has a stupid amount of details, especially the Admiral's Edition, but IIRC was pretty pricey.

I enjoyed both Silent Hunter 3 and 4. #3's campaign is more interesting (and more challenging especially as the war goes on). When I learned to "shoot from the hip" (no target assistance, but not messing around with all sorts of other calibration issues) in Silent Hunter 4 though, my enjoyment with that one went up immensely. I've been meaning to check out SH5, but the online requirement for a single player game started pushed me off. Though I eventually picked up Conviction, so I might try out SH5. If I do, I'll let you know how it is.

i liked the naval battles in total war: empire.

i'm not sure how retarded that makes me in the world of naval simulation...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I've tried a few more "arcade" and a few more "simulation" type games, but unfortunately for the fun factor few things beats a handful of old 8 and 16 bit games. The above War in the Pacific is a good attempt, if a bit heavy on the detail and management side (i.e. requires some time investment before really getting going) :shifty:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I really enjoyed War in the Pacific. Unfortunately my "Let's Play" of it never really took off simply because I ended up getting so busy :ermm:

The game has a stupid amount of details, especially the Admiral's Edition, but IIRC was pretty pricey.

I enjoyed both Silent Hunter 3 and 4. #3's campaign is more interesting (and more challenging especially as the war goes on). When I learned to "shoot from the hip" (no target assistance, but not messing around with all sorts of other calibration issues) in Silent Hunter 4 though, my enjoyment with that one went up immensely. I've been meaning to check out SH5, but the online requirement for a single player game started pushed me off. Though I eventually picked up Conviction, so I might try out SH5. If I do, I'll let you know how it is.

I see this as proof that QA guys really will play anything.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

OK, so I guess I buy all the Silent Hunter games after 3? :)

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!

Ubisoft DRM means that silent hunter III will not work on Windows 7. *murderous grin* So I have to try and get a refund from Steam.

That's final. I'm not buying any more Ubisoft games ever. And whether I get in trouble for syaing this or not: I'm no longer looking down on anyone who pirates their games. ****ing arseholes.

-Elwood Blues

Dangerous Waters is an excellent nuclear submarine sim. Best thing about it is multi-stations co-op, where you can distribution various stations from one sub between player (eg. one handles sonar/radar/weapons, other does navigation/TMA/periscope, etc).

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)