Best of 2010

entrerix

Ok last year I did one of these and now I'm doing it again...

my top ten games of the year (and for market analysis, the system i played them on and the price I paid)

1. Fallout: New Vegas (PC) - preordered

2. Mass Effect 2 (PC) - preordered

3. Red Dead Redemption (Xbox) full price, not preordered

4. Super Street Fighter 4 (Xbox) preordered

5. Starcraft 2 (PC) - full price

6. Assassins Creed Brotherhood (PS3) - half price

7. Heavy Rain (PS3) - bargain bin

8. Civilization 5 (PC) - gift

9. Splinter Cell Conviction (Xbox) - bargain bin

10. Castlevania Lords of Shadow (ps3) - half price

runners up: Battlefield Bad Company 2 (bargain bin PC), Limbo (full price, Xbox), Alpha Protocol (bargain bin, PC)

still planning to play: amnesia, Bayonetta, Darksiders, Alan Wake

and my favorite older game which I played this year= Red Faction: Guerilla

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'm never good at these lists, but I like yours. I just wouldn't include Heavy Rain or Civ 5 on mine. They're good, but not that good.

I can recommend Bayonetta and Darksiders. I think those would definitely go on my list. But not Alan Wake. I can't recommend that to anyone. Worst game I played this year.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I bought 31 games in 2010 ;(

no wonder I've been feeling a bit broke lately.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i got about 3 hours into alan wake and stopped playing, the game was horrible so far I just figured it must get better at some point, maybe it doesnt?

10. Costume Quest

9. Two Worlds II

8. Football Manager 2011

7. Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light

6. Risen

5. Mass Effect 2

4. Fallout: New Vegas

3. NIER

2. Red Dead Redemption

1. Alpha Protocol

Best old games: Final Fantasy Tactics(PSP remake), Arcanum and Baldur's Gate II.

I no particular order...

Fallout New Vegas

EU III: Divine Wind

Alpha Protocol

Mass Effect 2

Umm, that's about it. The rest of my favourites from last year were the oldies but goodies (needing stuff like VirualPC or DosBos to run ;().

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Red Dead Redemption is the game of the year by far, despite the fact that I'll never get to chance to play it (why Rockstar, why must you hate PC gamers ;( ). I'll break my monitor if LA Noire is this years GotY, as it's also only for consoles.

Anyway, personal GotY would be Fallout New Vegas, followed by Mass Effect 2. Rest of the games I bought this year are not the same quality.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

So if you've never played it, how do you know it's GOTY?

From industry perpective, it has won the most GotY awards in 2010. Personally I love GTA games, Rockstars writing, characters. Then there's let's plays and similar videos. Design is great, I prefer sandbox over linear games and it's in rarely used setting, the wild west (for me, setting is 9 times out of 10 more important then story). It's certainly more impressive then my own GotY - Fallout New Vegas from game mechanics point of view, less buggy, much more beautiful (even on less then impressive consoles) graphically. Kind of like GTA San Andreas was my GotY in 2004 (it was only released for ps2 first) and I only got the chance to play it 2005 (when it was released for PC).

Hmm, tough question, since I can hardly remember what came out in early 2010. I'd probably throw out a list like this:

1. FO:NV

2. Mass Effect 2

3. Alpha Protocol

4. Risen (I bought it this year, might be a 2009er)

5. Civ 5

6. MLB 10 The Show

7. Red Dead Redemption

8. Gran Turismo 5

9. Just Cause 2

That's about it, pretty good year. I'm never going to really understand all the flak AP took, I had a blast playing it. Other than Civ 5, it's also the most replayable of the bunch, it is rare that an RPG gets me playing it more than once. The only other real surprise was Just Cause 2, that game was a better sandbox title than RDR for me, just didn't have the same story.

From industry perpective, it has won the most GotY awards in 2010.

Oh. Well, given how well-judged those GOTY awards are, meh. I don't see why you'd need to disparage your own GOTY for that, though I guess in your case you're just excited about playing RDR at some point.

Anyway, not sure how we can all do Top 10 lists since I barely tried 20 games last year. I'd say Obsidian delivered with Alpha Protocol and Fallout: New Vegas, they pretty much booked up May-July & October-December. Risen was probably the big one in the first half but the release was in '09.

I can see why RDR gets all the GOTY stuff. It was probably the most impressive game I played on multiple levels. Great graphics, gameplay, story, voicework...the list goes on. That doesn't make it the most entertaining game for myself, but I get the praise.

"From industry perpective, it has won the most GotY awards in 2010."

You got numbers to back that up or just making stuff up randomly? Tons of games got GOTY. ME2 has gotten its share Red Dead Redemption as well (even thoguh I've never played it).

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

According to GAF it's second after Mass Effect 2...

Damn, those neogaffers are busy bees. That's a good board btw, too bad they don't accept any free email addresses when you try to register account. I did check the data from that same thread on new years eve, but didn't bookmark it for updates.

Anyway, from that thread.

Cheesemeister

12-31-2010, 01:58 PM

Current standings...

Red Dead Redemption - 17

Mass Effect 2 - 12

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 6

Heavy Rain - 4

Alan Wake - 1

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - 1

Bayonetta - 1

BioShock 2 - 1

Fallout: New Vegas - 1

Minecraft - 1

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty - 1

So yeah, my info was outdated. RDR won most GotY awards that were published in 2010, but Mass Effect 2 has since got way past it. No wonder, as Mass Effect 2 is available on PC too ;(

1. Fallout: New Vegas (9/10)

2. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (9/10)

3. StarCraft II (9/10)

4. Mass Effect 2 (8/10)

5. Napoleon: Total War (8/10)

6. Alpha Protocol (7/10)

7. BioShock 2 (7/10)

8. Red Dead Redemption (7/10)

9. Dragon Age - Awakening (7/10)

10. The Force Unleashed II (4/10)

11. Civilization 5 (2/10)

But there is a big gap between 9 and 10/11.

Edited by Bendu

Fallout: New Vegas was easily my game of the year 2010. And I've played Red Dead Redemption (up until Mexico where it got boring and I stopped).

I have not yet played Mass Effect 2, mainly because I can't find the will to start Mass Effect (which I actually own).

Just Cause 2 was probably the game that was the most fun for me this year, but it suffers from being so short. Sure, there are lots of side missions to do, but the actual main story is only like.. eight missions long. I wish Avalanche would sell their amazing technology to other companies.. like Obsidian. An RPG with that technology.. wow.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I thought 2010 was a weak gaming year, at least in regards of new releases that I tried..

So my list is pretty short,

Fallout NV (I've come to hate the gamebryo engine, but I liked the story and feel - so this is basically a 7/10, -2 for GB)

Mass Effect 2 (more streamlined and unfortunately more boring, but a good solid game 7/10)

Games I imagine could've beaten these two, if I'd played them:

Super Meat Boy

Red Dead Redemption

VVVVV

A personal kudos goes out to Minecraft though, for a game that managed to go a very unconventional route and still be a smashing succes.. oldschool fun.

Fortune favors the bald.

I'd give my own top ten list but I think FNV was the only 2010 title I bought. I bought/played a few games this year, but most were from GoG.

Red Dead Redemption is one I wouldn't mind trying, but I don't have a console, so... pfffft.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts