Catholic marchers turn on Glastonbury pagans

Thorton_AP

They're being obnoxious jerks. But I can't help but find it funny that one guy saying that calling their behavior medieval "would be an understatement." No, that would be the definition of overstatement. They're just being pricks.

Unless the medieval behavior towards pagans is a lot more docile than what I've been taught.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

From what I remember there have been issues with members of this group in London before now, too.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Better late than never for outrage.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well I've heard the legend that salt thrown after a suposed witch is supposed to keep them from returning, but not sure about throwing it on them...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

This nation did produce 40k, hmm. Second thought on this was "Burn the witch, not salt them".

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 2 weeks later...

The irony is the christian/catholic faith stole so much pagan beliefs to make up their own religion they then criticize a lot of their own roots? Would be funny if it wasn't sad.

Christmas (pagan yule/winter solstice holiday), easter (pagan ostra holiday of the spring equinox), all saints day (halloween/samhain pagan festival of the dead/last harvest celebration), burning candles/incense, using salt to 'cleanse' a area (like displayed here), etc. Its irony at its finest.

On a side note these holidays were not 'made' until the catholic council of rome ~320 CE decided it was easier to convert the pagans if they made their holidays the pagan ones. Hence xmas and the like have pagan holiday roots.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

The Pope loves condoms 'cause he doesn't wanna catch STDs from his male prostitutes.

That was pretty random.

Not random at all, good sir!

Conservatives at odds with Vatican over condoms

Yes, I'm aware of Benedict's edict. But it was random given that really, it has little to do with the pagans and their treatment in Glastonbury.

Yes, I'm aware of Benedict's edict. But it was random given that really, it has little to do with the pagans and their treatment in Glastonbury.

Agreed, the world would be better off with more spirituality and less religion.

You don't know many hippies do you?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Hm, doubt it, but sure.

You don't know many hippies do you?

I'm pretty sure myself and most of my friends would qualify as hippies. Lovely people. I'm atheist mysaelf of course but if people want to believe in airy fairy bull**** then at least spirituality is very individualistic and not at all aggressive or authoritarian (kind of the opposite with religion).

Hm, doubt it, but sure.

Really? And how many atrocities, ignorance, hate, wars and deaths would have been avoided if spirituality was the main belief and not organized religion? Our world history would be a LOT more peaceful.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Hm, doubt it, but sure.

Really? And how many atrocities, ignorance, hate, wars and deaths would have been avoided if spirituality was the main belief and not organized religion? Our world history would be a LOT more peaceful.

The core of religious violence is non-religious intolerance given an excuse. Quarrels over land, politics, race, or culture.

Much as would exist under non-dogmatic beliefs systems.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I still doubt it would have been a lot more peaceful. WW1 wasn't out of any religious reasoning, neither were the Napoleonic Wars. Khmer Rouge's purges weren't motivated by religion. Like Teg says "Battle ? There`s always a desire for breathing space motivating it somewhere". Religion preaches that killing is wrong, people tend to ignore that and want to go kill X group because of Y. Well, if they can ignore that, why wouldn't they ignore anything else?

I wouldn't drop my jaw too much at the athiest and his kids (http://static.cnhi.zope.net/heraldbulletin/flashpromo/docs/1120scarberry.pdf - court order) I'm pretty sure there's more to this (they both sound like lousy parents, maybe the mother won by default?).

Edited by Malcador

I get the feeling however most people consider that nationalistic wars ware more... justifiable than religious ones.

And reading the court order, the mother sounds like more of an idiot than the father. The father is only really mentioned once in a negative light, when he failed to manage his anger once and sent a whole pile of texts at his ex. Meanwhile mom had evidence of being neglectful (leaving kids home alone, not feeding them breakfast or buckling them into the car).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.