FO: NV (Tech Support)

It's always this file: \steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\InstallScript.vdf

Yeah, they mentioned that on the Bethesda forums. They suspect it's from people using the .dll fix. Steam can't handle that for some reason...

(Or so it was deducted there)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

It's always this file: \steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\InstallScript.vdf

Yeah, they mentioned that on the Bethesda forums. They suspect it's from people using the .dll fix. Steam can't handle that for some reason...

(Or so it was deducted there)

Hm. I suppose that's possible. From searching I learned that it's a file Steam uses to communicate what installer programs it will run. Mainly this seems to be how/why Steam does a forced DirectX install and vcredist for every new game you install, and if you edit the file before first launching the game, you can keep it from doing that, if you wish. I don't see how those two things would be affected by the dll fix for a video card but maybe if the dll is changing directx parameters to fool the game or something...?

Edit:at least I know it's not just me. Also, if you installed the game from discs the file isn't in the folder 'cause the disc has it's own 'installer' methods, so it's definitely a "steam" thing.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I was initially able to play for 4-6 hours at a time before a random freeze/crash might occur....for whatever reasons it's become pretty constant now, like every 5-20 minutes no matter what I do. Totally random...upon loading a game, while running, while fighting, whenever. I don't know if the .dll fix, installing new vid drivers/uninstalling them/reinstalling old vid drivers, too many saves or even the patches etc etc. has made things more unstable over the long run or what's going on. I don't mind occasional crashes in any game (as a pc gamer, used to that, haha) but that frequent makes it unplayable.

Uninstalled the game and redownloading from Steam to see if that helps. If not I may give up myself, until the next big patch, assuming there is a big patch.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That's what happened to me after installing Anchorage for Fallout 3. It became completely unplayable.

Still only one crash in New Vegas though *knocks on wood*

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Reinstalled. Played fine for 10 minutes. Crashed. Load. Played for over an hour, going smooth...then crash. And yet I keep playing, hoping for those hour+ long chunks. Game addiction....we'll see.

i'm up to 6 freezes in 60 hours, but my first 30 had no freezes. the game tends to lock up more when im doing lots of things at once, when i move slowly and methodically i get less freezes.

so far the game has frozen with the same frequency that fo3 was freezing on me before it got any patches.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The lated NVIDIA driver seems to have solved a problem I had where small white "flashes" would sometimes appear very briefly when looking across the landscape. I also haven't had a crash since I installed them but don't know if that's related. The 3 crashes I've had so far have all been inside New Vegas and I haven't been there when playing with these new drivers yet.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

i'm up to 6 freezes in 60 hours, but my first 30 had no freezes.

That's what I find so strange in my case. The more total hours I play, the more frequent on average the freezes become. ::scratchhead::

The lated NVIDIA driver seems to have solved a problem I had where small white "flashes" would sometimes appear very briefly when looking across the landscape.

I only started noticing those after I began using a mod. When I don't have a mod checked, it goes away. Also with mods checked I get more slight graphic errors like gaps between my chr's wrist and hand in 1st person view. IIRC the Morrowind mods often did weird things like that too. Maybe something to do with the way it uses/copies the main file or whatever.

Edited by LadyCrimson

the hookers in my game are totally non-buggy. i'm not crazy about them from a design standpoint, but they most certainly are doing what they were intended to do without sliding or clipping around the level.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I had my second crash last night. The game just suddenly returned me to Windows and a small popup said "FalloutNV has stopped working. Windows is looking for a solution.". I waited for a minute or so before Windows said "Windows could not find a solution. Was this information helpful?". I filled the little textbox with profanity and sent it back to Microsoft.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Something is wrong with the hookers on the Vegas strip outside of the Gomorrah. One hooker has some clipping issues and you can walk right through her like shes a hologram and the other one slids across the ground awkwardly when ever she dances. It would be nice to see this fixed becuase the dancing hookers look really stupid.

This is the PS3 version by the way and after the "Patch"

I remember when playing FO3 that at some point in the game, I had a crash every 10/20 minutes.

It was linked to Jefferson memorial and the door of Rivet city market place (with a timer to be closed or open).

All I know is that the only solution was to revert to an older save and use the console to teleport inside Jefferson mem for the main quest then outside and completly avoiding the surrounding area.

Do you remember when you began to have all the crashes ? Was there a script in the vicinity ? Could you test loading a save before the crash occured that frequently and see if you can avoid the crashes or reproduce the issue by going to the same place ?

It would certainly help if you could find the origin of the crashes.

Seems it's a standard issue Gamebryo quirk that the longer you play, the more unstable the game becomes, I've started getting more ctd's after passing the 50 hour mark but on the bright side my one and only actual bug was the old lady Gibson dialogue trigger issue with ED-E.

Do you remember when you began to have all the crashes ? Was there a script in the vicinity ? Could you test loading a save before the crash occured that frequently and see if you can avoid the crashes or reproduce the issue by going to the same place ?

It would certainly help if you could find the origin of the crashes.

There may well be a decisive factor for the crashes, but for me at least, the crashes are seemingly so completely random that it's impossible to even try to test for triggers. It is definitely not specific area-triggered however. That is, there may be some actual area-trigger crashes in the game, but the overall problem I have of 'general random crashing' isn't.

my first real bug: going into the silver rush for the first time results in a scripting error where everyone just stands still after a little while.

Seems it's a standard issue Gamebryo quirk that the longer you play, the more unstable the game becomes, I've started getting more ctd's after passing the 50 hour mark ...

I have no tech info to back it up, but I'm starting to agree.

In an effort to be slightly more helpful than my usual "I get random crashes," here's the assessment of my experience so far:

My 1st character I played for 20+ hours with only 1 freeze/crash, and then not long after it began to crash more frequently as time went on. It's still wildy unpredictable where I can have 3 crashes in 15 minutes or 2 in a few hours, but crash within a few hours of play it does. So far it's always a 'soft' crash, not a 'hard' crash. Screen frozen and the Windows 'game not responding what do you want to do: Close program" error box overlaid on top of it.

The 2nd character I made I've played 10 hours without a single crash, so it certainly feels like the longer you play/the more info the game has to deal with might be an issue in some unknown way (for me). I'll let you know if the new character starts to crash more frequently later, as well.

The save files for both characters right after chr. generation is about the same, and the incremental file size increase for game time spent, for each, seems to be about the same rate, so doesn't seem to be the sudden save-file bloat that I've heard Oblivion had for some.

Lastly, occasionally when the game freezes I get sound looping where game sound goes wawawawa until I close the frozen program. But not usually/always.

Also: this is with these system stats:

Win7-64 Pro

GTX275 (both driver 258.96 and 260.99 tried)

6GB RAM

i7-920 (stock speed no OC)

SoundBlaster Xi-Fi Extreme Audio (driver 1.04.0090, which is the last they released for it I think)

Edited by LadyCrimson

I really hope they get this constant crashing problem fixed. It makes the game unplayable. Quick Saving every few minutes gets tedious at best.

But good news is I only had one yesterday.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Playing on the 360 version. Had my first annoying bug today. Boone won't use a rifle anymore. He doesn't have one slung over his shoulder like he usually does, and when I give him guns in his inventory (sniper rifle, hunting rifle, etc.) he won't equip them. So when we come upon enemies, he just charges at them and tries to punch them.

I've tried taking all his equipment and then giving them all back to him, I've tried sending him back to the suite and then re-recruiting him, I've tried switching him to melee combat and then back again to ranged, nothing seems to work.

I'm way too far into my game to start over, and I'm at a point where I want to bring him along due to fighting against a certain faction he despises.

Any suggestions about how to get him to re-equip his rifle?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)