RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Yeah, I'm not exactly thrilled. I'm all for skipping ahead a few hundred years to see how the world has changed, but Cyrodiil was bleeding boring.

A game where the player has to fill the shoes of another Imperial agent and find a heir to the throne (Uriel Septim VII had actually many bastard children other than Martin) before the entire Empire falls apart could actually be interesting.

Back to a more political plot, like Daggerfall, after the ancient evils in Morrowind & Oblivion.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I thought the point of Martin was that he was the most secret bastard and the rest of them were probably deaded.

Aside that, I'm not sure "person as Macguffin" seems like a thrilling idea to me. That was the least interesting aspect of Oblivion's narrative, after all.

But the more boring part of Oblivion wasn't the narrative, but the way too traditional european fantasy setting with minor greco-roman/norse lipservice. Not that more significant norse aspects would have made it any better, I'm not a fan of that either. But that's just me.

Edit: Scratch that. The most boring part of Oblivion was the repetitive nature of environments. Like the Oblivion gates, which would be fascinating as a single area you could quest in, but not an area you must revisit repeatedly with only layout differences.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I think Martin was the only bastard born from an Imperial woman. There's probably a whole drove of little Septim Nords & Bretons. Maybe even Dunmer.

There were rumours that TES V would take place in Skyrim, hence a storyline about tracking the Septim bloodlines and investigating Tiber Septim's origins would be logical.

I could like Skyrim as a setting.

Edited by Tale

I actually enjoyed Dragon Rising.

After getting killed (or seeing my CO get killed) during the tutorial of ArmA II, I was quickly turned off of the game.

I loved the original Operation Flashpoint, but Dragon Rising was a lot of fun to play with friends.

Surprising. It would be sort of ok if they didn't associate OpFlash with it at all. Although to be honest, it fails independently with the low unit limit, foolish AI especially for vehicles (and the poor vehicle physics) and even little things like magic artillery/air support or not toggling your fire selectors. Although the mission editor was relatively straightforward to use, that was about the only plus. I guess you could compare it to Ghost Recon, except for the headshots you take and don't die.

Seems like you didn't give ArmA 2 a fair shake though.

This game though, well the byline for that article is telling enough o:)

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I could like Skyrim as a setting.

Bloodmoon part deux. Mead halls, ice, snow, frost giants, Ricklings, wolves, bears, pine trees and naked berserkers.

On second thought, no. You had me until Bloodmoon.

From Eurogamer about Elder Scrolls 5: "Howard wouldn't be drawn on many details about the game, but said the technology was derived from the engine that powered Fallout 3, albeit with significant modifications"

More gamebryo, whee. Pick something from table, everything else on the table gets thrown all around. People sinking into the ground. No shadows. Horrible animations. Etc etc.

Remains to be seen how significant modifications it has.

now that we're hearing rumblings, i wonder if the game is meant to be released next holiday, thus making it an xbox 360 game, which probably means a whole new engine just wasn't worth the effort yet. we'll have to wait until the next consoles are released for a new engine i guess.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

If they're working on it right now, it has to be a 360 game. I'm fairly certain there are no next-Xbox dev systems in the wild.

I could be completely wrong on that.

Edited by Tale

Shivering Isles was a satisfying conclusion to the Oblivion franchise. It was a nice way of getting the Champion of Cyrodiil out of the picture by making him/her a Daedric Lord. Not to mention being able to change the weather by just the wave of a hand was pretty neat.

It certainly beats the whole "I heard the Nerevarine went to Akavir" crap.

so, do we have a Two Worlds II thread somewhere? such an anticipated game and nobody played it yet? the demo gives me headaches, I want to discuss :wub:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Eh. PC Game pirates do have to, you know, own PCs, so we know that there's some base level of disposable income in the marketplace. $50 for a game to play on a $500-$1500 PC is hardly in the realm of "ridiculous," IMO.

I really doubt that the level of piracy would change much if the standard sticker price of games were halved. Certainly not to any degree that would make up for the revenue loss resulting from the price drop. I suspect that a price increase would be more likely to boost sales revenues than a decrease would. Now, if you're talking about smarter price discrimination, charging different retail prices in different markets, you have an argument, but price discrimination schemes are notoriously difficult to maintain, particularly given that lots of sales are done digitally.

If an Eastern European gamer making, say, $400 a month, buys a $1000 PC, he will probably be doing so through a small loan paid over 2 years with an interest rate of at least 20%. Which means that he will be paying at first, some 50$ out of his monthly income in the first year.

Now, it's not unreasonable to suppose that this gamer will spend $300 a month in various expenses, including rent, food, phone, gas, electricity, water and transportation. Now, how does this gamer play games on his $1000 PC? He pirates them.

Now, I said Eastern European, but I could have said South American, Southeast Asian, or Southern European. These are huge markets and games simply aren't priced to be sold there at all.

Finaly someone who gets the full picture...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

News at 11, console piracy exists too, etc.

Yeah, no. Not anywhere near the scale that it exists on the PC at least. It is just too easy to pirate on the PC, whereas console piracy has more hoops to jump through.

Not if you can buy chipped console right out of the box, even with 2 years guarantee... Which is easily possible in more countries, than you can imagine :wub:

And what do you do when anti piracy updates are rolled out? Send it back for a update assuming one becomes available?

Yes they do exactly that.. new update gets cracked usually within 1-5 days... and the price for remodding the console with newest update in eastern europe is from 1 to 15 EUR... and the most interesting thing is, that it is legal... it's wrong, but it happens... and i can say that around me is console piracy more widespread than PC piracy...

And ofc there is one more thing... You can in the southeast europe and asia also to buy console games from some russians and chinese, who manufacture pressed games in very big numbers and sell them for 1-10 dollars, and you do not even need to mod your console...

this is the reality of how easy is to use pirated console software...

The piracy is only a marketing word, used by publishers to move as soon as possible gaming from product to service only and to destroy second hand market... if piracy was such big issue as their are whining about, every developer, their mothers and dogs would be producing games only for PS3... which was uncracked for very very long period of time... nothing else...

Everyone understands that video games are non-essential for life, right?

Yes, and that's the reason, when someone has last 50 EUR/USD in their hands they rather go buy some food and pirate the game, than buy the game and stay hungry for next two weeks...

such are the priorities of life...

It shall be mine. I have enjoyed all their games so far.

Edit: This has nothing to do with the above statement.

There is a sale on Xbox 360. Some games are half price, not many but still some good ones. Worldwide sale.

PSN sale is also live I think. Has some good games. Deathspank for $7,50 is a good deal. North America only.

Apple stores have an ongoing sale, but I haven't really been following it.

Edited by Labadal

Everyone understands that video games are non-essential for life, right?

Yes, and that's the reason, when someone has last 50 EUR/USD in their hands they rather go buy some food and pirate the game, than buy the game and stay hungry for next two weeks...

Okay, if you're really down to your last 50 bucks and you need those dollars to buy food, then maybe you should go out and get a second job. How about you buy a deck of cards for 1 buck and spend the rest on food? How about you take up basketball with your friends? How about you get a job and have some disposable income so you can afford things like computer games? You spent every last penny on your PC, your home with the electricity to power your PC (unless you're so poor you also siphon electricity from your neighbor), and food? So now, having worked so hard to have all those other things, you have an excuse for pirating the game? ERRHHHHHH wrong answer. By the way, do you pay for your broadband, or do you steal that from your neighbors also?

I cannot believe people are still seriously pulling out something so stupid as the 'poverty' excuse for computer game piracy. It's the lamest damned excuse I have ever heard. There's an ol' Aesop aphorism that "a tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny." I think the same must be true of all these poor, downtrodden lowlifes who pirate games. "A criminal will always find a pretext for his crimes."

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

If someone has to choose between buying food and buying a video game, then their priorities are messed up, which is probably why they are in a situation where they are choosing between food and video games.

There is a sale on Xbox 360. Some games are half price, not many but still some good ones. Worldwide sale.

You mean Live? I guess it's a shame that I recently bought most everything I was interested in. I still haven't gotten around to playing the RDR undead add-on and Costume Quest.

How about you get a job and have some disposable income

No time for job, too many free video games to play...

Edited by Hell Kitty

Well, a good chunk of us won't see the game until at least January.

ugh, really? :wub: I thought you could activate it online. I mean, this version I have here, it's in english, in order to play it I just have to buy a serial code and then activate the game. or I can play through the tutorial for free. or it's available only in Europe?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.