Cop arrests daughter's boyfriend

Hurlshort

Hurly, a teacher threatening you is a lot different than a man with a gun handcuffing you and telling you you're life could essentially be over.

However, it would still stand that if a teacher did it, he'd get booted from his job because of parents complaining, as it is a blatant misuse of his position of power.

Also hurl, would you cause the emotional distress of threatening a kids future to protect your daughter?

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Would I use my power as a teacher to protect my daughter from a sexual relationship? Of course!

Should you also be held accountable if you misused your powers while doing so? Of course!

Should he lose his career because of it? Think of the actual damage done here. A kid was frightened. Oooooooh! He deserves a reprimand, sure. He could have handled/it better, maybe worked with the boys parents, sure. But destroying his career over it is severe. Does he have any other history of abusing power? Probably not. If they fire this kid, the lesson learned is suddenly that Dad's have to tread carefully when protecting their daughters. I'd rather live in a world where boyfriends should be a bit terrified about their girlfriend's dad.

Would I use my power as a teacher to protect my daughter from a sexual relationship?
Wuh? Sex isn't some demon you know. I know what you are trying to say but dude, that's some bad choice of word.

Also hurl, would you cause the emotional distress of threatening a kids future to protect your daughter?

Emotional distress? What a crock. A healthy dose of fear is just what teenagers need.

Teaching kids that fear is the way to solve things, great idea!

Cop needs his ass fired. Kid needs a mental examination for screwing a cop's daughter.

EDIT: Also, the cop needs to live in this century, not the middle ages.

Edited by I want teh kotor 3
In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Emotional distress? What a crock. A healthy dose of fear is just what teenagers need.

Fear of what? Of having relationships with people that can get serious? Of anyone over the age of 20?

Come on, cops can get put on report for taking free meals from the local mcd's because then they wouldn't provide a fair protection for the neighborhood. This is FAR worse than that.

Would I use my power as a teacher to protect my daughter from a sexual relationship? Of course! That is the kind of question only people without children would ask.

Use? Or abuse?

Also 'lol' at citing kids for underage sex. Our legal system might be perfect, but thankfully sex is decriminalised between people of a similar age, no matter what the age of consent...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Would I use my power as a teacher to protect my daughter from a sexual relationship? Of course! That is the kind of question only people without children would ask.

Protect from a sexual relationship? What?

They were the same age, and it was consensual. Didn't they use protection?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

She was fourteen wasn't she?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

That doesn't seem a bit young to you guys? I get that he was close to the same age. Again, he wasn't formally charged or anything, well, not until his parents filled out a report. The officer didn't actually take him downtown and book him. He put on handcuffs, yelled, lectured, and then let him go.

Depends on how old the daughter is doesn't it.

Actually there is a window of about 2 years before statutory comes into play, and even then I think they're within the window for relations.

And Hurlie, I think the fact that he wasn't charged until the officer was in danger of being jailed says something about the character of the department. They charged a minor with sleeping with another minor, only after one of their own was in danger of being placed under arrest.

And even then, by placing the cuffs on the kid, the officer could be charged with unlawful detainment.

As to the ages, I'm not surprised. Before I left sacramento, they had a problem, in 2005ish, of an STD being transmitted around several middle schools. Turns out what was going on was that the girls were giving out oral sex in the back of a bus on the way home. People are having sex younger, people are also going through puberty younger, go figure.

Edited by Calax

Both minors were charged. It is procedural when an official report is filed, which is what the boy's parents did. It is not something that is typically prosecuted.

He also took similar actions with his daughter. He had loaded her up and had her halfway to juvenile hall. So he isn't just holding the boy accountable, he is holding his daughter as well.

Hey, guess what guys, being a parent is hard. A lot of folks suck at it. This dad was trying to teach his daughter and her boyfriend a lesson. Did he cross a line? Yes. Did they deserve it? Yes.

What if the father did the exact opposite here? What if he ignored the behavior? What if he just let her have sleepovers with her boyfriend and never interferes at all? He becomes a bad father, his daughter probably gets pregnant in High School. Does this make him a better cop? I know there is a middle ground here, but he didn't shoot the boy, he scared him, so I don't think he crossed so far over the line that he deserves to lose his career.

What if the father did the exact opposite here? What if he ignored the behavior? What if he just let her have sleepovers with her boyfriend and never interferes at all? He becomes a bad father, his daughter probably gets pregnant in High School. Does this make him a better cop? I know there is a middle ground here, but he didn't shoot the boy, he scared him, so I don't think he crossed so far over the line that he deserves to lose his career.

You can scare a kid without abusing your power as an officer of the law. That's the sticking point, not the fact that he tried to scare the kid, but that he used his position of power, and the uniform he wore, for a strictly personal matter. When that uniform is on, he has to live by a separate standard than anyone else. He can't drink, he can't smoke, he can't take gratuity, and he certainly can't go doing a morally questionable thing like this as it reflects back upon the department and police as a whole.

You view this as he is a father first, a cop second, which he is... when he's not wearing the uniform and representing his department. When that uniform is on, he is an officer of the law first, a father second.

That doesn't seem a bit young to you guys? I get that he was close to the same age. Again, he wasn't formally charged or anything, well, not until his parents filled out a report. The officer didn't actually take him downtown and book him. He put on handcuffs, yelled, lectured, and then let him go.

Not really, that seems like the proper age to start a sexual life. But then again the age of consent was 16 back in my country.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

That doesn't seem a bit young to you guys?

No.

Did they deserve it?

No.

Thats why they make both a) condoms and b)abortions.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

That's not a valid argument, and you know it.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

It's not valid to point out the opposite end of the parenting spectrum?

I'll be honest, I'm a bit surprised that everyone here is willing to end the guy's career. Do any of you have children? It isn't an on and off switch, it is a permanent change of consciousness. Ask your parents.

I'll be honest, I'm a bit surprised that everyone here is willing to end the guy's career. Do any of you have children? It isn't an on and off switch, it is a permanent change of consciousness. Ask your parents.

Being a parent is no excuse to act like an unreasonable git, and abuse your position of power to be overly protective of said child. Parents can be terminated for abusing their job for personal matters just as a childless person could.

Would you be arguing the same way if it was, say, a good friend of his who was the girl in question, and he pulled the same stunt, even though he had no parental responsability towards the either child?

No since it's the parent that's acting like a hysteric teen.

I understand that watching your kid growing up is hard and all, specially if its a girl having relations with a boy. That doesn't means he can act like an **** on a power trip and put the guy in prison. I willing to give the benefit of doubt since I don't know the circumstances but depending on how far this guy was willing to abuse his power he should be penalized.

He may be a father but he is also a cop and they have to be upstanding and trustworthy. I can't trust someone that flies off the handle like that.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Its not like what the kid did was wrong.

Would you be arguing the same way if it was, say, a good friend of his who was the girl in question, and he pulled the same stunt, even though he had no parental responsability towards the either child?

Yes. Are you guys missing the point where he treated the girl in the same fashion? That seems to be getting lost here.

Again, does he have a history of abusing power? If he does, then sure, this should be the last straw. But I didn't read anything about a prior history. He didn't hit the kid. He lectured him. Did you guys watch the video? It's not exactly police brutality. My argument isn't that he should get off scott free, I've stated form the beginning that a reprimand is in order. But ending his career is pretty severe.

Actually, maybe him losing his job will work out good for him. The wrongful termination suit just needs the right number of parents on the jury to get him a nice amount of cash, whereas a reprimand means he keeps his job as an underpaid public servant

I don't think anyone is arguing the fact that interfering was a good idea. The way he did it was stupid. There was no reason to handcuff the boy. Let's put it this way:

Using handcuffs is a power given to police officers.

Abusing this power would be using them in a time that doesn't call for it.

The cop used his handcuffs in a time that didn't call for it.

Transitive property, he abused his power.

Yes. Are you guys missing the point where he treated the girl in the same fashion? That seems to be getting lost here.

Again, does he have a history of abusing power? If he does, then sure, this should be the last straw. But I didn't read anything about a prior history. He didn't hit the kid. He lectured him. Did you guys watch the video? It's not exactly police brutality. My argument isn't that he should get off scott free, I've stated form the beginning that a reprimand is in order. But ending his career is pretty severe.

Actually, maybe him losing his job will work out good for him. The wrongful termination suit just needs the right number of parents on the jury to get him a nice amount of cash, whereas a reprimand means he keeps his job as an underpaid public servant

In the same fashion? I'd hardly call taking her to a juvie facility (they didn't say if he was gonna toss her in a cell) = to handcuffing a kid and then talking to him. Like I said, he abused his authority as a cop to scare the boy. The fact that he put cuffs on the kid could also toss him into legal trouble with illegal detention and/or false arrest.

We never said that it was police brutality hurl, we said it was an unforgivable show of abuse of power. I personally would not feel safer knowing my streets were patrolled by a guy for whom it was ok to cuff somebody to lecture them on being a better person. And if I were a parent I'd also be afraid of having him in the area because I don't want him to come over, and pull this stunt on my family.

You seem to only be thinking about this from the position of the girls father. What about the position of the boys father? How would you feel if you had to stand around and think that your son was about to go to prison for simply being a teenager? When he let the kid go after the talking to would you just go "Oh, it's ok, he was only teaching a lesson!"? Seriously, think about it.

Edit: Also, did you watch that video? He not only faked the arrest, he also threatened the kid with an arrest for being a sexual predator, a criminal record, assault and a few other things if he so much as walked NEAR the daughter. I'm sorry, but threatening somebody with THAT amount of stuff just because you're a cop and your daughter slept with the guy is NOT ok.

Edited by Calax