New MCA blog post: On Project Directors and Lead Designers

funcroc

Why did Urquhart and Sawyer go to Montreal? (read their tweets.)

From their tweets I would say they went to eat there. Maybe they have bad restaurants in California :(

Seriously though Eidos (part of Square-Enix) and Ubisoft have offices in Montreal. Any other companies?

Hate the living, love the dead.

No, Obsidian is making Thief 5 :ermm:

Well, there was that tweet by Feargus: "Talking to Sawyer about stealth gameplay. Need to go back and play Thief and a Splinter Cell or two. And get AC2 finished." So you never know...

Or is some other team actually working of Thief 5 :)

Hate the living, love the dead.

OT: ex-Obsidian production intern Nathalie Gomez's tweets

- Interviewed with a publisher today to be a Production Assistant in the User Testing facility. Hoping for the best!

- During my interview today, someone mentioned how he admired Feargus at #Obsidian and what he did for the gaming industry.

- It is very surreal to think I worked with some people who command so much respect in the industry. Obsidian's founders really are superstars

• 3 weeks later...

OT - F:NV executive producer Larry Liberty leaving Killspace Entertainment for keen games

Lawrence Liberty

Current

Executive Producer at keen games GmbH& Co. KG

Past

CEO at Killspace Entertainment

Senior Producer at Obsidian Entertainment

Senior Producer at Atari Inc.

Summary

Lawrence Liberty has been fully engaged in the gaming space for more than a decade and a half. The vast majority of that time has been spent in a leadership position. With experience in programming, design, and management, he has built highly functional teams and delivered consistently on time and on budget, on just about every platform: PlayStation, PS2, PC, Mac, Gamecube, Xbox, PSP, PS3, and Xbox 360. Liberty has worked on a variety of games, from sports titles to adventure games, platformers, RPGs, and several massively multi-player online games, twenty six shipping titles in total. As a leader, Liberty

Edited by funcroc

OT - Ex-Obsidian artist Tony Hsu's resume

August 2005 - June2006

Senior Artist

Obsidian Entertainment, Santa Ana, CA

Disclosed Next Gen Xbox 360/Ps3 Game

--- Functioning as Senior Environmental Artist.

Job included

--- Creating the look and feel of the Levels Assigned. Currently, one Level is Large expansive outdoor scene, the other is a fantasy multiple building/castle scene.

--- Normal Mapping technology via Unreal 3 engine.

--- Understanding and utilizing Unreal 3 engine for purpose of Normal Mapping, terrain, lighting, and collision, and overall game play application.

--- working closely with lead designer and lead programmer to flesh out technical and functionality of the level.

--- Currently discussing with lead designer, lead artist, and lead programmer on technical issues of the overall game to discuss how to streamline overall production. Ie, realistic goals of textures, polycount, and lighting for levels.

--- Using PerForce as resource management.

It seemed that he worked on Project New Jersey.

Edited by funcroc

he was watching the old stuff or the ****ty series?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

he was watching the old stuff or the ****ty series?

Stand Alone Complex : it's the series, the first season actually. And they're not ****ty, they're great :) . Although inferior to the first movie, I will admit that much. Much better than the manga, obviously (I can't stand that thing!).

Much better than the manga, obviously

you're crazy. the 1995 movie is nowhere near as good as the manga. Oshii's flick is that good only because the source material was perfect to begin with.

I guess you mean you can't stand the art style. still, GITS isn't your everyday manga, but even if you don't like the pictures, you should still read it. it's up there with the Watchmen and the like.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I guess you mean you can't stand the art style. still, GITS isn't your everyday manga, but even if you don't like the pictures, you should still read it.

The art style, the inconsistence of the characters' role, the absence of any kind of plot, the Fuchikoma have nothing on the Tachikoma, there is also the terrible fan service in the latest volume, etc. I read them. And hated them. After FMA, I thought the manga, when coming first, was always better than the adaptation. GIST proved me wrong. That manga is TERRIBLE, and it gets nothing on the anime and movie.

the absence of any kind of plot

:thumbsup: huh, wait, what do you mean? Apeface pulls some strings to get funding for the new "anti-terrorist" unit, which Motoko is a part of. every volume is a different case, obviously, though there are a few stories that unite them (the Puppeteer being the most important). I'm not sure what's with the "movie is better", since it follows the manga to the letter, omitting some points due to time restrictions. and I find her character pretty well thought out. maybe if you gave some examples, I could see your reason for hating it, but seriously Shirow is a great sci-fi writer. and GITS has been cited numerous times in cinema and video games... :ermm:

Walsingham said:

Fallout-related? Or maybe MCA is pitching Obsidian's new IP?

I would imagine they are finalising the next patch and DLC at Bethesda :)

;)

Well, I personally would like to see another Bethesda-Obsidian project in the future. Minus the QA issues with New Vegas (I never ran into any, luckily), Bethesda's a great publisher.