RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!, just a dumping ground

Re: Diablo3 - I'm positive it'll be an addictive, obsessive game, like always. But I'm not getting the feeling that it'll be quite as much a "classic" as the first two, if that makes sense.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

oh? I think Blizzard actually is trying too hard to make it an instant classic. with the UI and the graphics resembling D2 this much and all

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Yea, that's exactly it. Trying too hard. Plus for me at least, after so many years, just putting a new gloss on their old IP doesn't feel enough anymore, with all the cash and time a company like Acti-Blizz has/takes. There may be new crafting stuff & skill trees but yet...well, I dunno. I'm probably just feeling ambivalent because of the long wait w/lack of much info.

That said, that monk video is still awesome and I know that's what I'll try first. :thumbsup:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

so it's gonna be a fantasy Alien Swarm. I welcome the idea :)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

so it's gonna be a fantasy Alien Swarm. I welcome the idea :)

It sounds more like the initial concept of (Bio's, not SSI's) first Neverwinter Nights, repackaged and with a new buzzabbreviation stuck to it. And it was a bad idea already back then. The addition of Salvatore and the current incarnation of FR just puts it in the :shifty::):x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x territory for me.

:x :x

needs a few more.

gah.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I don't see why everyone is so bent out of shape about this. WotC is trying to make a buck and pimp the 4th edition by outsourcing it to Walmart of MMO developers along with a somewhat relevant IP.

Seeing as almost no one around here cares too much about 4e and MMOs aren't too popular either, it's really no skin off your backs.

Edited by Purkake

I don't see why everyone is so bent out of shape about this. WotC is trying to make a buck and pimp the 4th edition by outsourcing it to Walmart of MMO developers along with a somewhat relevant IP.

Seeing as almost no one around here cares too much about 4e and MMOs aren't too popular either, it's really no skin off your backs.

They hold a massive IP portfolio, and the best thing they can do is try to make a quick buck from an already established CRPG franchise? How is that not worth getting bent out of shape for?

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Heh... Cryptic just stepped into big pile of crap. AOL's NWN, Bioware's NWN and now Cryptics.

Times have changed and companies try to find different models for leeching out the maxium amount of cash out of consumers. But MMOGs are tricky. Just recently APB developer managed to waste 100 million to their MMOG and in the end the game was worse then free to pay GTA4 multiplayer. Now it wasn't suprise that they are bankcrupt now and only (positive) thing that people remember from that game is awesome character customization system.

Will Cryptic choose Turbine's D&D Online subscription model? Or Guild Wars? Or traditional monthly fee? Personally I don't think any of those options will make 'em a good profit (or even give 'em investement back) as MMOG players go thru content really fast. They'd need to have some sort of Blizzard mojo to keep players interested of the game (and keep buying those items, add-ons or subscription fees) and that's just about impossible in their weird co-op, tiny population realms.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

In a bizarre inversion of 'video killed the radio star' 4E D&D was the first pen and paper RPG to actually copy computer game (specifically MMORPG) style mechanics to attract da kidz to tabletop gaming.

Killing the game in a collapsing, blazing black hole of contradictory nothingness as a result.

sonsofgygax.JPG

D&D should have pursued a "this is what you play when you want something more sophisticated than clicking a mouse button" instead of trying to emulate mouse button clicking.

3.5 edition is better than 4 by miles. even 1e is miles better than 4e (i never liked second edition so i choose not to speak on it, we went from 1e to 3e to 4e for ~1 year before going back to 3.5e)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.