What do you do if you don't have a "correct" emotional response to something?

lord of flies

Like, just hypothetically speaking, suppose that your grandmother was dying. You went to visit her in the hospital/at her home, but just felt awkward and bored and wanted to leave, but didn't actually leave or say you wanted to leave because you knew you were supposed to be there. Then she died, and you didn't feel anything at all, and not because she was distant or anything, you were actually fairly close, but you still don't feel anything even though you know you should. You're not suppressing it or anything, you just don't feel bad at all. Like, it's a week later, and over the past week you have paid less attention to her death than you have to pointless minutiae of your day-to-day life.

What are you supposed to do in this sort of situation?

Thanks in advance.

This hypothetical person had probably already dealt with the loss of his grandmother even before it happened. Old people die and even more so if they

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Like, just hypothetically speaking, suppose that your grandmother was dying. You went to visit her in the hospital/at her home, but just felt awkward and bored and wanted to leave, but didn't actually leave or say you wanted to leave because you knew you were supposed to be there. Then she died, and you didn't feel anything at all, and not because she was distant or anything, you were actually fairly close, but you still don't feel anything even though you know you should. You're not suppressing it or anything, you just don't feel bad at all. Like, it's a week later, and over the past week you have paid less attention to her death than you have to pointless minutiae of your day-to-day life.

Thanks in advance.

It could mean you're sociopathic (typically characterised by selfishness and narcissism), it could mean you just don't feel strong emotional response to things but are otherwise normal (usually due to desensitisation), it could mean you already got over her death before she died, it could mean you simply don't have a problem with death (think for example a person who is 100% absolutely CONVINCED heaven is waiting for everyone after death), it could mean you have Asperger's syndrome or some other Autism-spectrum disorder (I've discussed a similar situation with a friend of mine who has AS).

If this is you, don't beat yourself up over it. Even if your situation matches the worst of the above scenarios - sociopathy - it doesn't mean you're a bad person (not by default at least, though you might be) your brain is just wired differently.

Some people do not feel a thing until several months, some times even years later. Call it an emotional shock or something.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The fact that the person in question is worried by his/her own response would indicate that the are at least some feelings. I think.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

The fact that the person in question is worried by his/her own response would indicate that the are at least some feelings. I think.

Exactly.

Right now it sounds like that person is feeling some guilt or concern over the lack of a reaction. The best way to handle that is to keep a memory of a good time that person spent with their grandmother alive and active. Maybe share it with a friend.

Wouldn't it depend somewhat on the the relationship with the deceased too?

I've carried 2 coffins with estranged relatives to a grave so far and was mostly worried about the dead one getting a decent, dignified burial rather than that they were dead. When the father of one of my friends died, I felt sorry for my friend and his family, but couldn't really feel genuine sadness that the man was dead (and he was a very nice guy). "Closeness" probably plays more of a role than any abitrariy family tree coincidences.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I would reread Les Etrangers (I think that's how you spell it). But frankly I do think that if one had absolutely no reaction that would be worth talking to a professional about. Either this individual has sociopathic tendencies, or they are suppressing their emotions to a degree which can only be unhealthy over time.

Or, I suppose they may not understand what death actually is. How often has this person dealt with death?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I suppose they may not understand what death actually is.

I had a nice family friend who actually erected wooden boards in his living room to give me a room when I had nowhere to stay for a few months, who proceeded to die of cancer a few years later. I was 16 or so and it was just really really uncomfortable being in that hospital room knowing he's going to die very soon.

I think it was on one hand having no idea whether to be cheerful or solemn or emotional or whatever, and on the other this terrible feeling that I thought I should be more devastated.

It didn't help that he instructed his funeral to be a strictly cheerful, tongue-in cheek affair.

The fact that you worry about not having that response means you're fairly well-adjusted.

A lot of people have this. It's fairly common. Sometimes it never "hits" a person in the way they expect, sometimes it happens later. A friend of mine had it when his mother died, it took him a couple of weeks before his system finally realized what had happened and he pretty much broke down.

I would reread Les Etrangers (I think that's how you spell it). But frankly I do think that if one had absolutely no reaction that would be worth talking to a professional about. Either this individual has sociopathic tendencies, or they are suppressing their emotions to a degree which can only be unhealthy over time.

Or, I suppose they may not understand what death actually is. How often has this person dealt with death?

What a terrible book that is.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I've only had to deal with a funeral twice, both for grandparents, and even then I was young. I barely felt anything, no matter how close I was to them, and I don't believe in anything supernatural happening after death. Maybe I have some sort of sociopath problem, it'd explain a few things, but I'm not close to getting bothered by it all that much. The only thing I can recommend is not to try and fake emotions if you don't get any. You can't force these things and even if you did it wouldn't be any "better".

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

First time I read it I thought so. Then I realised that it's excellent... because it's so bad precisely because the protagonist has no emotions.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I wouldn't worry about it. Either it'll hit this hypothetical person eventually, like some of the others have said, or it won't. If this hypothetical person was close to the grandmother, cared for, had a connection with, & loved her when she was alive, that's indication enough of 'humanity' right there, imo. After that...well we all grieve differently. Not everyone cries or has deep sad emotions immediately after a loss, particularly when the loss is not a surprise.

My husband had very little reaction when his mother died (suddenly/unexpectedly). He & his mother weren't super close at that point but there was no animosity/resentment either & we saw her semi-frequently. But...it just wasn't a surprise to him, I think.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

First time I read it I thought so. Then I realised that it's excellent... because it's so bad precisely because the protagonist has no emotions.

No, it's bad because the writing style is inconsistent at best and completely incoherent at worst. It's even worse when Camus just abandons all remnants of his esoteric writing style and starts preaching at the end.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Yet at the same time, I think it is a relevant and interesting book. Even if Ian Fleming would have written it better.

-Elwood Blues