Fallout: New Vegas

First, ammo subtypes are purely optional for the player. The base weapon system has been designed so that if you want to stick to standard ammunition types, there is always a tactical choice available to you. A hunting rifle has a high DAM and low DPS. A 10mm SMG has a low DAM, high DPS. If you're up against armored targets, the hunting rifle will usually be a better choice, especially if the targets are at range. If you want to push things, you can use AP or HP ammo to nudge the tactical applications a bit more. In some cases, the use of a particular ammo type can venture into "overkill" territory, but because variant ammo types are not as common as standard ammo, you're using a high cost consumable for that effect.

Also, there's always a tactical drawback to using certain ammo subtypes. Using HP (hollow point) ammo on even light armor will almost always be worse than using standard ammo. AP (armor piercing) ammo does a little less damage than standard ammo, so using it against lightly armored or unarmored targets is counterproductive. +P (overpressure) ammunition does more damage but wears down the weapon more quickly.

The exceptions to this are hand loads. Because hand loads require skill/perk investment and have to be built at reloading benches, they are pretty much "just better" than standard ammo. I've given two examples before: .308 JSP (jacketed soft point) and .45-70 Gov't SWC (semi-wadcutter). Both of these ammo types offer a bit of DT negation and increased DAM. This isn't necessarily due to the inherent properties of those bullet types (JSP would likely penetrate less than FMJ) but because you are hand loading the case and are just that good.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and you can cycle through ammo types in real-time or you can equip them directly from the Pip-Boy.

JE at beth forums

Sounds good. The amount of detail that Obs is putting into the gameplay is impressive.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Some more Sawyer from bethboards. This time regarding reputation:

Neutral/Unknown is not a reputation you can maintain in F:NV unless you avoid doing contentious things. There are actually two separate reputation axes for each group/area: Fame and Infamy. If you do things that help the group, you get Fame. If you harm the group, you get Infamy. The relationship of these two scores determines your overall reputation. So if you do a bunch of good and bad things, you aren't unknown; you have a mixed reputation.

This was done specifically to avoid the feeling that your actions "wash out".

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

SO that means you can be both famous and infamous at the same time with the same group?

How did it work in FO3? Just one overall famous/infamous rep with everybody, that was either famous or infamous but not both at the same time?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

How did it work in FO3? Just one overall famous/infamous rep with everybody, that was either famous or infamous but not both at the same time?

I think there was just one "meter" for it that was like: bad<---->neutral<---->good.

Edited by Undecaf

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

SO that means you can be both famous and infamous at the same time with the same group?

Quantum superposition?

I think there was just one "meter" for it that was like: bad<---->neutral<---->good.

Yeah, it wasn't something to which I paid much attention. FO3 wasn't a game in which a reputation value seemed to matter very much.

Yeah, it wasn't something to which I paid much attention. FO3 wasn't a game in which a reputation value seemed to matter very much.

Yea, it really didn't.

Quantum superposition?

Ah, but what if we were to hide that statistic from view, ie: put it in a box?

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

Quantum superposition?

Then we would only be able to determine the actual alignment by opening the box and directly observing the fame-o-meter.

Quantum superposition?

Then we would only be able to determine the actual alignment by opening the box and directly observing the fame-o-meter.

Wouldn't opening the box cause your fame-o-meter to collapse into a definite state? You don't really know what it was before you opened the box. For all we know, we could be either equally well famous or infamous.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Quantum superposition?

Wouldn't opening the box cause your fame-o-meter to collapse into a definite state? You don't really know what it was before you opened the box. For all we know, we could be either equally well famous or infamous.

And that's how quantum superposition and quantum measurement works.

Science!

Edited by Purkake

Wasn't the Arcade character (Zach Levi voicing) from Van Buren? Am I misremembering that?

One thing from VB which I hope makes it in, in some small way, is the tribal guy who speaks only in corporate slogans.

: O

I wish they added toggleable head bobbing.

Meh. I'm feeling random.

Edited by Undecaf

Meh. I'm feeling random.

Wait-- is there no head bobbing, or is it there, but not toggleable? I don't remember there being head bobbing in FO3. (And I think I would, as first-person games with head bobbing have been known to give me motion sickness.)

Meh. I'm feeling random.

Wait-- is there no head bobbing, or is it there, but not toggleable? I don't remember there being head bobbing in FO3. (And I think I would, as first-person games with head bobbing have been known to give me motion sickness.)

No head bobbing in FO3 and nothing confirmed for F:NV. I like head bobbing - hovering camera feels boring to me - I also know some other people might not like, so I asked for a toggleable one. :)

Edited by Undecaf

new vegas is at quakecon... wonder if we'll learn anything new about the game.

pretty crazy that its coming out in two months... i keep expecting it to get pushed back till january or march though...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.