What you did today

Gorth

hmm so the friend of my flatmate's that i slept with has now moved to Wellington

i guess she had a fun time here after all

meeting up with her tomorrow and we'll see how things go...

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I got a French 1878 "Gras" Sword Bayonet.

Uh...For what?

I've got a collection, albeit a small one for now, of knives/swords - most for are for display and some for every day carry or defensive carry. Obviously the bayonet, once it's cleaned up - there is a bit of rust on the handle and, unfortunately, a few spots on the blade itself-, will be for display and not for carrying around (unless it's for a costume or something like that, because it's rather impractical to haul around otherwise). For carrying I normally go with a shorter fixed-blade or larger folding-blade (see the pictures for some examples of the sort of knives I'm talking about). And, before someone asks, I currently live in a state with no length limit as far as knives go so, yes, all of the pictured blades -and some larger ones that I didn't grab for the example (for instance, a 6" version of the folding stiletto seen there)- are legal to carry.

post-15784-1279697654_thumb.jpg

post-15784-1279697698_thumb.jpg

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I've been advised by Persons Who Know that if you insist on carrying something for self defence which doesn't go bang it should be a stick.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I've been advised by Persons Who Know that if you insist on carrying something for self defence which doesn't go bang it should be a stick.

A telescopic baton with appropriate training would probably be one of the best instruments (reach, light, non-lethal), but entertainingly, the punishment for carrying one here is greater than for carrying a knife. :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

A telescopic baton with appropriate training would probably be one of the best instruments (reach, light, non-lethal), but entertainingly, the punishment for carrying one here is greater than for carrying a knife. :)

No I mean a stick like a walking stick or hockey stick. The former being far more easy to carry.

Not sure I regard either as sensible. In my experience the only kind of fights which are forced on you are those involving multiple fethwits or one enormous fethwit. Either way carrying a knife or stick won't do much by itself.

I should stress the people who told me this were all military types who'd gained their experience in street fights around the way. They were all either very big or very very strong or both. I think for 90% of people you're better off simply talking your way out or running away or being with a bunch of proper friends who will back you up.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I got a French 1878 "Gras" Sword Bayonet.

Uh...For what?

I've got a collection, albeit a small one for now, of knives/swords - most for are for display and some for every day carry or defensive carry. Obviously the bayonet, once it's cleaned up - there is a bit of rust on the handle and, unfortunately, a few spots on the blade itself-, will be for display and not for carrying around (unless it's for a costume or something like that, because it's rather impractical to haul around otherwise). For carrying I normally go with a shorter fixed-blade or larger folding-blade (see the pictures for some examples of the sort of knives I'm talking about). And, before someone asks, I currently live in a state with no length limit as far as knives go so, yes, all of the pictured blades -and some larger ones that I didn't grab for the example (for instance, a 6" version of the folding stiletto seen there)- are legal to carry.

Nice.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

uhh, I think you just terrified me.

Why?

A telescopic baton with appropriate training would probably be one of the best instruments (reach, light, non-lethal), but entertainingly, the punishment for carrying one here is greater than for carrying a knife. :sorcerer:

It's the same here, knives, provided they are not of the particular types that are illegal, are fine but telescoping batons and the like are not (unless the law has changed since I last looked at it).

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I understand the collection thing but do you live in like, a rough neighborhood or something that would make carrying knives in your pocket necessary?

I understand the collection thing but do you live in like, a rough neighborhood or something that would make carrying knives in your pocket necessary?

Sort of. While where I live is good for the most part -albeit there was a sniping attack within 20-miles awhile ago, but other than that it's been quieter-, I'm often out in town until fairly late at night, that will likely change when classes start back up but over the summer I've been out more often, and there's been times where I've been glad to have something when walking the couple of blocks back to where I'm parked (despite being on the more up-scale side of town, there's far worse areas, there have been some muggings/assaults near there and you'll sometimes see people high on things like meth). So, no, the knives aren't necessary but at the same time I like knowing that I have something just in case (although I agree with Walsingham that the best course of action is to be in a group or be able to avoid a confrontation).

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

-Hurlshot

Bought me a car... it needs work to fix some things up... like the drivers side door handle that I broke because I always pull wayy to hard on it (I broke the other one too so...)

it's the 98 integra, it'll be interesting learning a stick

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Bought me a car... it needs work to fix some things up... like the drivers side door handle that I broke because I always pull wayy to hard on it (I broke the other one too so...)

How many miles on it Calax?

uhh, I think you just terrified me.

Why?

Because people who wear carry knives might end up using them. The difference between a bar brawl and a murder, despite all intentions to the contrary.

There is no school of knife fighting that doesn't involve killing your opponent quickly and efficiently. See what I'm saying ?.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

There is no school of knife fighting that doesn't involve killing your opponent quickly and efficiently. See what I'm saying ?.

That's exactly why one should never draw unless they really need to (id est his/her life is in danger or someone else's life is in danger). So, yes, I see what you're saying and I understand where you're coming from. A knife, when used for defense, is not that different from any other lethal hold-out weapon and should be treated accordingly.

-Hurlshot

That's exactly why one should never draw unless they really need to (id est his/her life is in danger or someone else's life is in danger). So, yes, I see what you're saying and I understand where you're coming from. A knife, when used for defense, is not that different from any other lethal hold-out weapon and should be treated accordingly.

But from what you said in your post, in the area you live in, your life never really would be in danger.

But from what you said in your post, in the area you live in, your life never really would be in danger.

True, and so, hopefully, I'll never have to use one.

-Hurlshot

110. It's replacing a 96 camery with 191k

The question is, did the Camery have working door handles? :shifty:

-Hurlshot

The question is, did the Camery have working door handles? :shifty:

yeah, then I broke one of those and had to replace it

You had the car for one day before breaking BOTH door handles by yanking on them? :lol:

No... just the acura. My toyotas handle took a year.

You had the car for one day before breaking BOTH door handles by yanking on them? :blink:

No... just the acura. My toyotas handle took a year.

I don't understand how you did this..Why do you pull so hard on them?

Because I pull up on them rather than out. It pulls on the handle in a way that more easily works the weaker parts down

I think the cue may be in his title...

-Elwood Blues