How has this game done financially?

30k... If that's world wide... That isn't alot. That's bad, very bad....

It isn't great, but considering the bashing by both the reviewers of the world, and also your type -- it's not bad, either.

Seriously... That's a bad number regardless of the bashing.

Heck, Blur has sold badly in the UK, something like 10k units if I remember correctly, and that was well recieved.

30K world wide isn't even worth talking about.

Actual sales figures cost a fortune, and then they're not exact.

They're not 30k world wide.

They're 30k in Europe during two days.

Heck, Blur has sold badly in the UK, something like 10k units if I remember correctly, and that was well recieved.

vgchartz.com only reported 30k sales on consoles in Europe for the first week. No idea though how accurate those numbers are and Europe is more of a pc games market anyways when it comes to rpgs.

USA pre-orders were about 100k total (65 for 360 and 35 for ps3) one week prior to release.

It isn't great, but considering the bashing by both the reviewers of the world, and also your type -- it's not bad, either.

Read much? Like I said in the original post that 30k was for Europe only and on consoles. Europe is often considered more of a pc market anyways so it's not all that alarming. For example Dragon Age: Awakening has reportedly sold total of 37k copies for consoles so far in Europe. And that's in 11 weeks.

Hate the living, love the dead.

I don't think Alpha Protocol will do abysmally but it won't do as well as Obsidian and SEGA were hoping for most probably.

Or at least, that's how I interpret the situation.

Yeah, poor pathetic reviews still have too much influence on the market sadly enough to crush good stuff and hype crap.

And, hey, Sega and Obsidian wanted to play with fire by pimping AP as aME wannabe so what did they expect? They would need to deliver a game that completely blows ME out of the water to live up to their pimpage.

And they did? :(

Well, if you look at the RPG aspect of course. ME still is the better action game.

However, I didn't bother replaying ME1 or ME2 and am now on my second AP run already. What does that say?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

And they did? :(

Well, if you look at the RPG aspect of course. ME still is the better action game.

However, I didn't bother replaying ME1 or ME2 and am now on my second AP run already. What does that say?

You have a strange taste in games? :*

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

"it's selling better than Vampire : Bloodlines, and probably Torment too"

A. That's not impresssive consideirng we all know what happened to Troika after BL .

B. Don't be so sure about PST. While it was no BG in terms of sales, it sold well enough.

"So, reviews, even in number, don't mean anything. More than that, reviwers are blatant lyers of accusing a game to have many flaws when you don't see most of the flaws announced.

Of course, people expecting a shooter won't find this game is a good shooter, people expecting a stealth game won't find it's a good one. But people expecting a good action RPG with choices that are not railroaded and some moral ambiguities should find a very promising and interesting game."

Your opinion isn't any better or worse than anybody's. Your post hasn't proven anything except that you personally like AP. Nothing wrong with that but bashing otehrs for theirs is silly.

P.S. 65% on meta critic is really, really, really, really bad. No waya round that number. And, 70ish for gamer scores isn't exactly awesome. People shouldn't forget that other games that don't sell well that people really like tend to do much better in the review scores despite low sales so the metacritic score is disgusting.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

P.S. 65% on meta critic is really, really, really, really bad. No waya round that number. And, 70ish for gamer scores isn't exactly awesome. People shouldn't forget that other games that don't sell well that people really like tend to do much better in the review scores despite low sales so the metacritic score is disgusting.

Metacritic doesn't seem to have most of the european reviews though.

Yup, Metacritic has a very American bias. Most European reviews, especially non-English ones, which Metacritic rarely covers, have been far more positive. I expect the sales to be more similar to ones of European RPGs, like The Witcher, than to American AAA titles, but I doubt it will be an actual flop.

And citing the 30k figure as indicative of anything is silly, considering what the figure actually represents (console sales only in a largely PC-centric market in just 2 days).

Edited by Ausir

75% is still rather not impressive.

"Metacritic doesn't seem to have most of the european reviews though. "

That's because they tend to focus on well know (on the internet) reviewers not every reviewer. Sucks to be European in this case, it's just the way it is. I do notice there was no Europe vs North Amerika civil war over Obsidian's other games so this tells me there's a lot of butthurt by Europeans because Amerikans don't like a game they've taken to so there's been a lot of bashing Amerikans as to make one feel better.

P.S. This doesn't mean I agree with Amerikan (or European) reviewers either. I haven't really given my opinon on the agme itself as I'm currently playing it, and will give my opinion in due time then people can then bash me either as an Amerikan (even though I'm not even Ameirkan, lol but Europeans like to bash everyone as Amerikans) ignoramous for not 'getting it' or an elitist European wannabe.

We shall see...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

European players are more likely to be influenced by sites and magazines in their own language than by major American gaming media, though.

Anyway, the American/European divide reminds me somewhat of the reception of The Witcher. Most of The Witcher's sales were also in Europe, and it didn't sell very well in the US. Still, it sold overall more than 1 million copies, which is pretty damn good for a PC-only game. Same with other European RPGs, like Risen, which also has a similar difference on Metacritic between PC and 360 version.

Edited by Ausir

"it's selling better than Vampire : Bloodlines, and probably Torment too"

A. That's not impresssive consideirng we all know what happened to Troika after BL .

B. Don't be so sure about PST. While it was no BG in terms of sales, it sold well enough.

I was joking. (There was even the smile to note it : :( ) And by the way PS:T sold something like 400k, and very slowly too. That's basically the reason why Interplay didn't even consider doing a sequel.

vgchartz.com only reported 30k sales on consoles in Europe for the first week. No idea though how accurate those numbers are and Europe is more of a pc games market anyways when it comes to rpgs.

USA pre-orders were about 100k total (65 for 360 and 35 for ps3) one week prior to release.

To put it in perspective, the recent big seller... RDR, sold more than that in the UK alone.

Still, it's likely that AP will shift around 250k units, which isn't so bad...

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

That's because they tend to focus on well know (on the internet) reviewers not every reviewer. Sucks to be European in this case, it's just the way it is.

It just means metacritic ain't all that accurate when it mostly just covers one continents opinion and seems to ignore most of gaming media elsewhere.

Yeah, but it doesn't make much sense to compare the sales to RDR. The sales of any recent game will look bad compared to it.

Yep, there are few games a year that actually manage to pull off sales like RDR did on the first few weeks.

Isn't RDR console-exclusive? That would explain higher console sales, while AP probably rakes in more PC sales in Europe.

@ Volourn:

The distinction seems to be European reviewers review it as an RPG (which, you know, it is). The American's however thread it as an action game (which, well, it ain't), which gives a very false impression.

Why aren't we allowed to call them idiots for not properly catagorising a game again (and then cracking it off on that)?

It's like reviewing Half-Life 2 as an RTS and then give it a 50/100 because it didn't do so well there.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Isn't RDR console-exclusive? That would explain higher console sales, while AP probably rakes in more PC sales in Europe.

@ Volourn:

The distinction seems to be European reviewers review it as an RPG (which, you know, it is). The American's however thread it as an action game (which, well, it ain't), which gives a very false impression.

Why aren't we allowed to call them idiots for not properly catagorising a game again (and then cracking it off on that)?

It's like reviewing Half-Life 2 as an RTS and then give it a 50/100 because it didn't do so well there.

Yeah, cause comparing a very highly rated Rockstar release to a very poorly rated Obsidian release is totally fair.

Of course a Rockstar game will sell gangbusters. That's only common sense.

Now let's compare Bungie to Irrational when it comes to sales. :wacko:

Well, I know this game is on the best sellers list at Gamestop. I don't know if that counts for much but I believe the game must be doing decent.

I know it is being talked about alot, both the negatives and the positives. It has been consistently in teh top five of most active message board on Gamefaqs.

75% is still rather not impressive.

"Metacritic doesn't seem to have most of the european reviews though. "

That's because they tend to focus on well know (on the internet) reviewers not every reviewer. Sucks to be European in this case, it's just the way it is. I do notice there was no Europe vs North Amerika civil war over Obsidian's other games so this tells me there's a lot of butthurt by Europeans because Amerikans don't like a game they've taken to so there's been a lot of bashing Amerikans as to make one feel better.

P.S. This doesn't mean I agree with Amerikan (or European) reviewers either. I haven't really given my opinon on the agme itself as I'm currently playing it, and will give my opinion in due time then people can then bash me either as an Amerikan (even though I'm not even Ameirkan, lol but Europeans like to bash everyone as Amerikans) ignoramous for not 'getting it' or an elitist European wannabe.

We shall see...

Bashing? I've seen people write that they think some reviewers are stupid for not recognizing the game for what it is. I agree somewhat with those but there is really not a strong enough distinction between American and European reviewers to collectively blame American reviewers for being stupid.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

You didn't read any of the thread, did you? :( Once again, first 2 days, consoles only, europe only.

Being a developer, I'm interested in seeing if you have any comparable numbers in your head? sales of multiplatform releases in europe in 2 days in consoles?