The Reviews

This quote was amusing, heh.

Take combat for instance: Much like obvious influence Mass Effect, whether or not your weapon scores a hit is more dependent on its accuracy statistic than your actual skill. Even if you line up your shot perfectly you'll often whiff, especially in the early hours of the game. Note to developers: I don't care if it's realistic, making me miss because of math is never, ever, ever fun. Now stop it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

An 'unfinished' game? That's pretty hard.

It's true!

I've been playing it for... 2h+ and I've had more glitches, crashes and other weird stuff going on for a while now - I'm going to wait until Beta Protocol comes out - a MAJOR patch. It's unplayable for me.

TSLRCM, the mod that Wookieepedia doesn't want you to know about:

http://www.deadlystream.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4

really starting to seem like a love hate sort of thing.

Yup, but love it or hate it should NEVER be based on how much patience has a gamer to endure all the technical glitches the game has fun throwing to them.

Now, I don't want to sound like I think the programmers put bugs in the game to have fun, but Obsidian, as a company, should really think hard about how they're managing this stuff.

Destructoid - 2.0/10

Obsidian and Sega, like the US government portrayed in this very game, are better off denying all involvement in this failed operation.

Wow, that's really harsh. Seems like that jerk didn't know how to play. There are some issues, yes, but they can be easily overcome.

Hope people aren't put off by these kind of reviews. AP needs to sell!

interesting, european sites and mags seems to think that the game is very well written, while the mainstream us sites thrash it as poorly written...

I'm wondering if that's simply because americans are more used to spy flick and television series...

Also a 2.0, no matter how incompetent is the reviewer, is basically an enormous stain on the game and developer's reputation.

I really wouldn't like being in Obsidian's shoes.

Granted, they're nice guys, but again, considering the number of devs and the polish of their game, I'm wondering if they shouldn't start reducing the number of projects and teams.

Two teams working on two different projects seems like the limit for this developer, and instead they're always working on no less than three projects, not to mention they have to devote at least a little team to patching the games they've published.

Ambition is fine, but remember what happened to Icarus...

Not sure the stats is such a big issue ...

Early on your receticle is wider but I've hit plenty of head shots. You just can't snipe with a pistol from 25 - 50ft away and expect head shots ... to be honest am okay with this.

Biggest issues are empty/unfinished game world but then its not much different from other games of its type.

If I ever had any faith in gaming journalism, it was pretty much blown away by that.

It's pretty amazing though, on one hand many of the US sites are trashing and on the other, EU seems to be liking it. Don't think I've ever seen a "split" this big before.

But seriously, I just cannot see the 2/10. After playing some more today, this is growing on me even more. It's the best game I've played this year most likely. So weird.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

No, really, how can a game be consistently getting 8.5/10 from European reviews, and 3/10 from American ones? It just doesn't make sense - the spread of reviews is utterly absurd. Are the reviewers even playing the same game?

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

No, really, how can a game be consistently getting 8.5/10 from European reviews, and 3/10 from American ones? It just doesn't make sense - the spread of reviews is utterly absurd. Are the reviewers even playing the same game?

European reviewers seem to fixate less on technical issues & look more at the overall package.

It was the same story with games like Risen & Divinity II.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

European reviewers seem to fixate less on technical issues & look more at the overall package.

The spread wasn't quite as big with Risen & Divinity II as far as I remember though.

Even so, most of the impressions I've read here don't seem to think that the game is a bug-ridden disaster, or even that there are a particularly large number of bugs.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Wow, I can't believe some of these reviews. I know most of us are willing to overlook AP's flaws but even when taking them into consideration I'd never award it a 2.0. That's crazy!

The reviewer for Destructoid was Jim Sterling, he's basically a professional troll.

He gave Deadly Premonitions a 10/10.

I guess the technical stuff (textures loading and all that) is more noticeable on consoles. I have seen it on the PC but it's not very noticeable.

What is most baffling perhaps is how a lot of people are ignoring the *interactivity* of a game that is as story-heavy as AP. I had my suspicions of course but it seems that people really don't care that much about choices and all that. A shame, and they should because we're dealing with games and they should be interactive.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I remember why I only really read two or three review sites. Wasn't aware there was THAT much garbage out there

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Really, it can't only be bugs. The insanely low American reviews all call the writing stale and uninteresting, yet the European reviews almost unanimously praise the depth of the characters and the quality of the dialogue, even in the not-so-good ones.

I don't see how these can be people reviewing the same game. If I were to only look at the European reviews, it would be believable, but the gap is just too ****ing big. This doesn't make any sense.

It's almost as if the Destructoid reviewer missed a deadline, and then quickly copy-pasted a Rogue Warrior review and changed the names.

Story by Jim Sterling

People actually take him seriously?