2010 FIFA World Cup

Guest The Architect

The finnish commentator was awesome. At times, i forgot that Uruguay was even in the match, since the he was only talking about Holland playing against "the other team".

I think he only mentioned Uruguay when there was the "assisted dive" in the penalty box. Of course, Robben (iirc) had an even clearer dive a few minutes later and he didn't say anything for 20 seconds, and then carried on from what was going on. :ermm:

It was like he and the studio commentators (who IMHO have been admirably impartial and good) were talking about a different match. :)

Finnish commentators traditionally have had a boner for French and Dutch teams (Dutch mostly due to Litmanen being there for the best part of his career, I think), with a somewhat worshipful attitude for the other "big" countries (Brazil, Argentine, Germany, Spain). Anti-Italian, and just ignoring the rest. Honestly, they've been getting better about it, and this guy Ennekari is the only one I've picked up having clear favourites in these games.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Don't remember who did the Argentina - Korea match for our television, but he was awesome. The guy was a worse fanboy than Maradona.

*Messi gives a cross into the box, which the Korean centre backs easily clean off*

"And once again Messi gives a beautiful pass precisely into the right spot, precisely correct height. One can only admire his touch."

Edited by Balthamael

Guest The Architect
Germany peaked too early. Both Spain and Holland with good squads performing underwhelmingly look like typical world cup winners.

Screw the Octopus - send him over to my deep fryer. This guy knows his stuff. You called it after the Holland-Japan match. Would it be obvious of me to say you're changing your tip to Spain then - at least to win the semi-final? I don't know, I still think Biscuits Busquets is Spain's weakness, would much rather see Xabi hold the defensive midfield for his own, in a diamond midfield with Xavi moving to the right, Iniesta on the left, and Fabregas playing in attack behind Villa and Torres (despite his fitness cloud). But as per usual Cesc will start on the bench and probably won't be used for more than 25 minutes even though he should be. Having said that, Spain will probably play their best game of the tournament tonight - but their reliance on Villa for the goals I think may come back to bite them on the ass. I'm predicting a 1-1 draw, with either Spain scoring in extra time, or Germany winning a penalty shootout if it comes to that.

Oh and you're Portuguese, be a good sport and get her address for me:

soccer-girl-1.jpg

Edited by The Architect

Screw it, I'm leaving everything and moving to Portugal.

You don't have bimbos in Finland? ;)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You don't have bimbos in Finland? :o

Yes, but they've all already abused me. I need to find new women to treat me like ****. ;)

Well, Germany has been playing surprisingly positive football, which makes everything a bit weird as it makes them on paper the most likely team to fold in the next game, especially after trouncing Argentina in the manner that they did. However, Germany are, traditionally, the ultimate world cup team in terms of outlook and mentality, which makes me unsure of whether to pronounce Germany's elimination against Spain inevitable.

It's a real inversion in the parts, having Germany playing the role of the potential bottler, with Spain turning into the pragmatist Cup winner. I'm predicting that it will be kind of a similar situation to the 98 semi final between France and Croatia where the Croats lost despite playing the better football.

If Spain wins it all I can see them becoming the new France in terms of competence and smugness. With that in mind, I'd rather see Holland win the World Cup even if they're not playing the exuberant football of yore.

With all this said, I'm predicting Spain to win the World Cup by beating Germany and Holland in scrappy wins. Too bad, too, because if both Spain and Holland decided to throw caution into the wind, we could have a hell of a beautiful football final.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Guest The Architect

Do you think Mueller's absence is going to hurt Germany more than Torres' lack of match fitness will hurt Spain? Time will tell, but do you think starting Torres could end up being a mistake?

Do you think Mueller's absence is going to hurt Germany more than Torres' lack of match fitness will hurt Spain? Time will tell, but do you think starting Torres could end up being a mistake?

I don't think either Mueller or Torres will influence anything. Villa and Klose are where it's at. Anyway, the match will hinge on the midfielders and I'm curious to see the battle between Ozil and Spain's magical midfield and I don't see how the forwards will be able to influence proceedings all that much.

Let's see my predictions fall apart, now.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I was thinking along the lines of a close call between Spain and Germany with Spain the likely winner unless a draw drags them to the penalties in which case I think Germany will probably win. Still my feeling is that this will be something like a 1-0 or 2-1 victory for Spain. I also think that Germany will play better and generate more scoring chances but Spain's defense will ultimately prove to be a wall very hard to pass.

Edited by Fallen Ghost

The finnish commentator was awesome. At times, i forgot that Uruguay was even in the match, since the he was only talking about Holland playing against "the other team".

I think he only mentioned Uruguay when there was the "assisted dive" in the penalty box. Of course, Robben (iirc) had an even clearer dive a few minutes later and he didn't say anything for 20 seconds, and then carried on from what was going on. :*

He did? I've must've missed that :)

In any case, i am going to watch tonight's game on the swedish channel (SVT 1 or 2) instead. Atleast the commentator is going to give neither team any praise since Sweden is not playing in this tournament :p

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I think he only mentioned Uruguay when there was the "assisted dive" in the penalty box. Of course, Robben (iirc) had an even clearer dive a few minutes later and he didn't say anything for 20 seconds, and then carried on from what was going on. :)

He did? I've must've missed that :)

In any case, i am going to watch tonight's game on the swedish channel (SVT 1 or 2) instead. Atleast the commentator is going to give neither team any praise since Sweden is not playing in this tournament :*

Mmh, I wanted to try out the Swedish feed on YLE, but turns out they only have it on the SD broadcast, and not the HD one. Football being one of the best reasons for HDTV, I chose to listen to the cheerleader and watch the better picture. :p

YLE sends in HD? Oh why o why am i stuck with an analog HDTV-reciever when the apartment has cable :p

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

YLE sends in HD? Oh why o why am i stuck with an analog HDTV-reciever when the apartment has cable :p

Yes, they do. Need the cable service provider's card for it, at least in Helsinki. (Not sure if they want conax pairing and all that stuff, I had to do it for Eurosport and Canal HD channels).

Holland - Spain is the dream final to me. I've always liked the both teams. Whatever happens on Sunday, I am fine with it.

Now, here is hoping Germany thrashes Uruguay on Saturday, and Klose scores the two goals he is short of immortality.

Goal was pathetic, though. Smallest guy on the pitch beats giants like Mertesacker.

Netherlands is going to get dominated as well against this Spain, they're so annoying to play against.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Well, that ruined my day. Expected it, but much like supporting Arsenal, always sucks when a good run falls apart. German team should be one to watch in the coming years though, assuming no one fscks up the system they have. Shame they had to lose to Spain. Ah well, here's hoping for 3rd place again :(

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra