Deus Ex 3

Humodour

CGI trailers that have nothing to do with the engine are utterly pointless.

You would think that would be obvious to people who have played games for a while, wouldn't you?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

There have been screenshots and gameplay info by the way, it's not like we've got only the CGI trailer to discuss about.

And by the way, while CGI are as far from the meat of a game as you can get and are essentially a marketing gimmick, this was good in giving you an immediate visual representation of the game's art direction, of some plot points and of a couple of things you can do in the game (though of course, they'll probably end up looking much less awesome).

There have been screenshots and gameplay info by the way, it's not like we've got only the CGI trailer to discuss about.

And by the way, while CGI are as far from the meat of a game as you can get and are essentially a marketing gimmick, this was good in giving you an immediate visual representation of the game's art direction, of some plot points and of a couple of things you can do in the game (though of course, they'll probably end up looking much less awesome).

That's right folks, advertisements are completely pointless. Reality may disagree, but cynical internet men know the Truth!

That's right folks, advertisements are completely pointless. Reality may disagree, but cynical internet men know the Truth!

I think you forgot to include some commentary with those quotes.

I think you forgot to include some commentary with those quotes.

:no: Simply expressing my agreement with above statements.

It's an interesting choice of art direction.. but until there's more to see I'm not going to make up my mind on whether its bad or good. At least there's a known reasoning behind it... rather then just something thrown in for no reason in particular..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

In Eidos Montreal's quest to be different, Jacques-Belletete said he focused the team to have two design analogies in mind--the Icarus myth and the Renaissance. Jacques-Belletete said Icarus fit the theme of transhumanism perfectly. "Dude, this guy is augmented. That's transhumanism," he said. "He has too much fun with transhumanism, and then he burns and falls to his death--this is my metaphor; this is perfect."

DX3's gonna own you guys!!!

Just remembered, DX 1's premise came into existence somehow like this: My (Warren Spector) wife loves X-Files. What is X-Files made of? Conspiracies, aliens, conspiracies. Why not make a game with even more conspiracies and hair raising theories?

In Eidos Montreal's quest to be different, Jacques-Belletete said he focused the team to have two design analogies in mind--the Icarus myth and the Renaissance. Jacques-Belletete said Icarus fit the theme of transhumanism perfectly. "Dude, this guy is augmented. That's transhumanism," he said. "He has too much fun with transhumanism, and then he burns and falls to his death--this is my metaphor; this is perfect."

DX3's gonna own you guys!!!

Just remembered, DX 1's premise came into existence somehow like this: My (Warren Spector) wife loves X-Files. What is X-Files made of? Conspiracies, aliens, conspiracies. Why not make a game with even more conspiracies and hair raising theories?

I thought Deus Ex's premise was 'why the **** can't I fight in Thief if I want to? why am I forced to stealth? NERDRAEEEEEEEEG, me gonna go and make Deus Ex', or at least, that's pretty much how I remember Warren Spector describing it in a blog post.

Well they are completely poinless to me.

Fair enough, though with that cleared up Slowtrain's comment no longer makes any sense.

You would think that would be obvious to people who have played games for a while, that Gorgon thinks ads are pointless, wouldn't you?

The foibles of internet communication.

Does that make me cynical ?.

I don't think that was ever in question. In my opinion.

That's a filthy lie. The original's premise came about in some incredibly complex, PC-centric way. Don't go dumbing down the past. Sigh. I don't know why I even play games any more. Sigh. I'm too old for this ****.

Edited by Hell Kitty

*Cynical internet man dodges another sniping remark from his arch nemesis sarcastic internet man*. Unfortunately his world weary indifferent nature does not allow him to get sufficiently emotionally motivated to return fire. Instead he counters with a seasoned thousand mile stare*

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Not really seeing what's the issue about being cynical about advertising. Just thinking about it, it's foolish to fall for it. Anyway, aren't cynical internet man and sarcastic internet man the same man ? Seems to be most of the time :no:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Not really seeing what's the issue about being cynical about advertising. Just thinking about it, it's foolish to fall for it.

If one is commenting on it, then one has already fallen for it. Although seeing advertising as something you "fall for" suggests it's some kind of trap, which is a terribly cynical way of looking at things. The only way to avoid "falling" for it is to ignore it completely, and if we're taking notice of and commenting on it then the ad has done it's job. As much as folks like to think they're smarter than the average bear and totally above the hype, by being a part of the conversation they make themselves a part of the hype. The only winning move is not to play, but the burning desire to express our opinion, even if it's a whiny negative one, will always win out in the end.

Weird, I'm not contributing to the hype at all, none of us posting here are. How many eyes do you think come across this thread and what do they add to it ? User Malcador being negative about this game isn't going to carry very far. Some of "day one purchase!" cries may lead to people believing it's good because some dude online on a forum said so, though. It really is a trap though, not that cynical, just looking at it reasonably. Nice touch adding the "whiney" though, heh. Gotta remember to check avatars for hints

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't see the problem.

CGI trailer, it's primarily there to catch people's attention, send them in an awe and set mood. It's setting the mood quite well and regardless of it's actual representation of the final games' quality, it is a great video. And we are talking about it so it got our attention, yes?

As a bonus, there even are a few gameplay sneak peaks in them (arm blade, energy shield).