Play Alpha Protocol in San Francisco

Also Gamesradar preview. They like that you have choice but don't understand the appeal of any choice beyond "shooter". Pretty negative.

I didn't feel that it was negative, really... not completely convinced, but it had less retarded moments than the Eurogamer one! And it is very reassuring overall, for people who's been following the game for a long time...

Also Gamesradar preview. They like that you have choice but don't understand the appeal of any choice beyond "shooter". Pretty negative.

I didn't feel that it was negative, really... not completely convinced, but it had less retarded moments than the Eurogamer one! And it is very reassuring overall, for people who's been following the game for a long time...

"Playing as a stealthy Thorton certainly worked, but we struggled to see the appeal. Why bother creeping through a mission when you can shoot your way to victory in half the time?"

You probably shouldn't ask this guy to play any of the Thief games :x

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

If reviewers think stealth is a lot more difficult than shooters, sounds good to me. Easy stealth is a lot less fun than easy shooter, because stealth really lives by that knowledge one wrong move will see you dead.

Where you put your stat points, then, really does determine how you can play the game. Sadly it also means that players will necessarily pigeonhole themselves into a particular approach. It's literally impossible to change tactics for later missions, because your stats won't allow it - you can't suddenly roll out with a shotgun for a level that's giving you trouble if you've been pouring all your points into stealth abilities and pistols.

Apparently that's a 'problem' in an RPG.

Wow.

Bad preview is bad.

It kind of is. RPGs should make it impossible to branch out. If Alpha Protocol has it so that you can only max one weapon class if you ignore all others, that's a problem. I don't expect you to be able to max everything by the end of the game, but variety rocks man. When you constrict it artificially it feels ****.

I know the devs must be tired of the comparisons, but Deus Ex managed to do it pretty well - allowing you to both max a few augs and also max a few weapon skills (though certainly you still had to think hard about where you put your points, it was a rewarding system).

System Shock also did it well, IIRC.

Pre-built characters that were all designed to fit several "extreme" character types from the sound of it. Which is one way to highlight the differences in the skills use..

What was it, the tough/shooter guy, the sneaky/martial arts guy, and the slightly sneaky/tech/sabotage guy from the sounds of it...

Not exactly balanced characters but if you have limited time to show off concepts to a previewer it's one method of handling it.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm just saying that if they had free reign over their characters (and/or more AP), they may have been able to build characters more suitable for them.

Aaand, we (and neither the previewers for that matter) don't know how a different build would've looked like. Since different skills cost different amounts of AP*, a guns blazing character may have 2-3 weapon skills and some points in sabotage and such.

So.. maybe we will be able to have several skills, not just three (that's the impression I had from earlier material anyway), and the preview complaint of run-'n'-gun characters being tormented with hacking is pretty moot.

IMO

*and we don't even know if the pre-built characters missed any XP opportunities

As far as I know, it's been mentioned before that a more jack-of-all-trades character is viable. Can't remember where though and it was a long time ago, so maybe it was changed.

Personally, I tend to prefer specialized characters so I hope it feels like there is a very tangible reward to maxing out skills.

One thing I also kinda fear about the preview is that it seems like a run-and-gun character is easy to play. While I think it's good that the choice exists to offer different ways to play through the game, like one of the quotes that I responded to in a sarcastic manner earlier, it'd suck if making a combat character is the easy way and making a stealth character is the hard way.

It's never gonna be completely balanced of course, but I really hope the combat character isn't just the "easy way".

I

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

As far as I know, it's been mentioned before that a more jack-of-all-trades character is viable. Can't remember where though and it was a long time ago, so maybe it was changed.

Personally, I tend to prefer specialized characters so I hope it feels like there is a very tangible reward to maxing out skills.

One thing I also kinda fear about the preview is that it seems like a run-and-gun character is easy to play. While I think it's good that the choice exists to offer different ways to play through the game, like one of the quotes that I responded to in a sarcastic manner earlier, it'd suck if making a combat character is the easy way and making a stealth character is the hard way.

It's never gonna be completely balanced of course, but I really hope the combat character isn't just the "easy way".

I

Its because they maxed toughness, if you made a tougher stealth guy or a weak combat one it would be different.

Maybe it's just my age and how long I've been playing computer games.. But I didn't see any real issues with the graphics shown.. It amazes me the comments that have shown up on some of the sites showing the developer diaries and walkthroughs complaining about the graphics.. It's a freaking rpg, it's not meant to be a Crysis/Splintercell type of game..

Personally, it mostly looks smooth and from what I've seen, seems to fit the mood of the levels they've shown off. So it works for me so far.

Of course, I still hold the right to change my mind on how well it handles when I actually sit down and play it for x many hours :p

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Maybe it's just my age and how long I've been playing computer games.. But I didn't see any real issues with the graphics shown.. It amazes me the comments that have shown up on some of the sites showing the developer diaries and walkthroughs complaining about the graphics.. It's a freaking rpg, it's not meant to be a Crysis/Splintercell type of game..

Personally, it mostly looks smooth and from what I've seen, seems to fit the mood of the levels they've shown off. So it works for me so far.

Of course, I still hold the right to change my mind on how well it handles when I actually sit down and play it for x many hours :p

I never really see much in graphics either....looks are looks...I would rarther have a good art style than realistic graphics.

Great graphics have never made a bad game good.

They can make an already good game more pleasant to play, but they don't work as an end in themselves.

I think the graphics in AP are great personally, but I'm not particularly demanding in that area.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Man can't believe that I missed this. Glad SEGA is having more community events like this... and it really seems that ones that are first to the game get first dibs on these first looks.

Imagine how crazy it'd be if they were to do something with Sonic 4.

I have a question for a dev : is it me or does Mina use a different object to smash Mike into submission at each different demonstration??? Some talked about a taser to the chest, others said she hits us with a (non-mobile) phone and some say she hits us with a statue!

It's just amazing to me that a game that is skill-based gets a write-up that's somewhat negative because the skill choices you make actually matter and that you can't just ignore your skill choices and do whatever you want with equal effectiveness.

*shakes head*

Ya big time -- what's up with that?

I totally don't get how the pro-game reviewer dude faulted the game for not letting people max out their skills. I'm really surprised.

If I was the reviewer and played a game where you could easily master all your weapons and therefore there wasn't really much character customization (or variation) then I would be panning the game for it. I'm stoked that in A.P you have to carefully choose how you want to develop your character. That's great. It's not like Mass Effect 2 where you only have 4 skills, which are easily maxed out...

Maybe because the game has shooter qualities that this automatically translates into this reviewer's mind that like all shooters, you should be able to use all guns really well. I could see a casual gamer thinking this..but it's distressing to see a reviewer from a pretty big games site saying this garbage.

Way rather have the AP system where if you want to max out and specialize in one skill, say the shotgun, then you have to sacrifice being able to do other things. Maybe this is considered 'old school' design now a days? I dunno.

Edited by kreese12

Way rather have the AP system where if you want to max out and specialize in one skill, say the shotgun, then you have to sacrifice being able to do other things. Maybe this is considered 'old school' design now a days? I dunno.

Agreed. For me, it is always the choices about what you can or cannot do that make a game interesting. If, as a player, I can do everything, have everything, be everything, then a game becomes much less interesting.

I guess that is somewhat a minority view these days since most games seem to like just the opposite.

So, anyway, I'm highly supportive of AP's direction in this area.

I'm just really hoping the game sells well, so we can see more games like it.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Agreed. For me, it is always the choices about what you can or cannot do that make a game interesting. If, as a player, I can do everything, have everything, be everything, then a game becomes much less interesting.

I guess that is somewhat a minority view these days since most games seem to like just the opposite.

So, anyway, I'm highly supportive of AP's direction in this area.

I'm just really hoping the game sells well, so we can see more games like it.

So your hoping the game sells well because of the skill system? So the characters and story mean nothing? Way to make Avellone cry.

Seriously though I agree. I just hope that the skill system is implemented in the game well enough for it to matter. If playing a stealthy tech Thorton feels/plays the same as a war machine Thorton, the system will be worthless.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif