Ubisoft DRM confirmed to boot you from your singleplayer game when the net drops out

Humodour

How much business do you think Ubisoft planned to get out of their pc sales anyway, compared to consoles?

According to wikipedia, 67% of the first game's total sales came from the 360 version (as opposed to PS3 and PC).

Would the pc game sales numbers be more or less than than PS3 numbers? If it is substantially more than the pc market share is still large enough to be significant. If not, then I wonder why publishers even bother making the majority of their games available on pc.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Would the pc game sales numbers be more or less than than PS3 numbers? If it is substantially more than the pc market share is still large enough to be significant. If not, then I wonder why publishers even bother making the majority of their games available on pc.

Denial much?

The last multiplatform game that I can remember, Fallout 3, had like 10% of the sales on the PC.

Denial much?

Denial of what?

The last multiplatform game that I can remember, Fallout 3, had like 10% of the sales on the PC.

Is 10% signifcant enough a number to make it worthwhile? I guess it is, or they wouldn't do it. Still, its somewhat confusing why PC game development gets more than token effort by devs and publishers.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Denial of what?

This:

Still, its somewhat confusing why PC game development gets more than token effort by devs and publishers.

They do it because it is a little extra buck for them, it sells enough to pay for the porting and give them a little profit. It gets the effort it does because 90% is significantly more than 10%.

It would make sense then that they would go with a harder DRM if they felt it could help squeeze a bit more money out of the pc game market

It would make sense then that they would go with a harder DRM if they felt it could help squeeze a bit more money out of the pc game market

But when has harder DRM encouraged sales? Now it might be a touch stereotyping.. but pc gamers are a touch more inclined to be technical geeks then console gamers. They also tend to react to imposed software hoops much more then casual gamers..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Denial of what?

This:

Still, its somewhat confusing why PC game development gets more than token effort by devs and publishers.

They do it because it is a little extra buck for them, it sells enough to pay for the porting and give them a little profit. It gets the effort it does because 90% is significantly more than 10%.

I'm guessing the porting itself is much cheaper than going from the PC to a console. I'm no programmer, but I believe most of the work is done on a PC already, so it's easier to make it PC ready then console ready.

Just came across a video someone shot of Silent Hunter 5, which is also using the Ubi DRM. According to the video description, it took five to six minutes after pulling the cable for the game to detect it wasn't connected.

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

@Hurlie: Well there is the different hardware configurations vs a single one and then the controls issue. But with a 90% - 10% margin it just doesn't make sense to have the PC as the lead platform.

Isn't this what they seem to be doing here?

Edited by Purkake

791728635_VJ8Qa-L.jpg

Pretty much the entire piracy debate in three panels.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Here's your citation:

But at least 90 percent illustrious, with Chart-Track stating the game has already outsold Bethesda's Oblivion by 57%, pulling in sales of 55% on Xbox 360, 28% on PS3, and 17% on PC.

A little better than what I remembered, but still losing 5 to 1 against the consoles. Let's also take into account the fact that it is originally a PC IP and very light on the DRM side. I would expect say Assassin's Creed PC to sell less, percentage wise.

Edited by Purkake

Interesting. We'll see how the next generation of consoles will fare. The current success of the X360 might not necessarily continue on the next XBOX (because that's the real competitor here). After all the PS3 bit the dust quite easily.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Actually, the PS3 did really well in 09 compared to the previous years, it might still take the lead.

Everyone is deathly afraid to roll out a new console, they're most certainly not coming until the recession is done with. That's why they are trying to blow some life back into them with Natal and Sony's Disco Stick Thingy.

Edited by Purkake

The Wii is going like they're giving it away with a happy meal.

The PS3 seems to be following the XBOX curve all the way... I'd say these sales are peaking because the cost of the consoles has dropped sufficiently for them to become accessible to most people + many of the older games can be bought at smaller prices. Still, there's about a year to go I guess until it starts winding down.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I did, but PS3 did drop in price significantly over that time so it does make sense. There's still catching up to do. Regardless I wish they'd all crash and burn, :ermm:

*sigh* if only I could cast level 9 spells.

logosig2.jpg

It's one of those things that's always bugged me about those consoles.. the games are always silly high priced. I mean sure, the used console game market is a lot bigger then that for PC's.. but they've nearly always seemed overpriced and damn short. But console gamers just keep going back for them..

I guess the console games are like the popcorn for the brain in the gamers market... :ermm:

I'm a pc gamer through and through.. maybe I'm just prejudiced.. but dang it all.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

i expect that this year and next year will still see the current consoles improving, lots of shiny games etc etc

but i wouldnt be surprised if we have new consoles in 2012, at least from xbox and nintendo (nintendo might even be in 2011 with a slightly upgraded wiiHD system)

i expect a new ps4 in 2013. no console announcements from M$ or sony this year though, since they will be pushing natal and glowstickdiildo

to raithe: I play about 50% pc games and 50% console games, console games are only priced high for about 1 year, then they are 20$. pc games start at 50$ and after a year are 10$... not a huge price difference

note: i started gaming on consoles with the NES, i didnt play pc games until warcraft 1 came out (i bought it a week after released based on word of mouth), that was my first real real pc game, then TIE fighter :ermm: good times...

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.