Ubisoft DRM confirmed to boot you from your singleplayer game when the net drops out

Humodour

IMO the PC gaming market is not dying just because the consoles are more profitable, but also because its quite stale for a while now.

If millions upon millions of dollars pumped into games every year result in an endless parade of clones and sequels people will get bored. I presume the PC demographic is older and pickier in general.

The same would apply for the console crowd if they weren't in mostly younger (thus less interested in innovation) and more "casual" in their gaming habits.

Most of the innovation for the PC comes from indie games that aren't likely to begin any real trends. Stuff like Braid, World of Goo etc. may be fun but it all really a "fire and forget" bag of tricks, not real innovation that could spark a definitive change.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Really, who didn't see this coming?

Too bad. I really wanted to play Splinter Cell Conviction and the new Prince of Persia game.

I really wanted Beyond Good & Evil 2, but I flat out refuse to fund this sort of trash.

There are many other good games out there, and trustworthy and loyal developers (Valve, Blizzard, even Bioware) such that I lose nothing by completely avoiding Ubisoft products.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that one. >_<

Hopefully Ubi repeals their current DRM scheme into something more palatable.

Also I've noticed that me and my friends tend to buy the same games, usually the douche of the group pirates it and tells everyone how utterly amazing it is and the rest of us go out and buy it as the word spreads.. That's why I personally have this theory that if you actually used pirates as a PR resource of sorts, you might actually see an increase in sales, unless your game stinks of course.

They don't make demos anymore. Every wonder why. Also, you apparently have douces for friends, what does that say about you. Or maybe you were just making sure you ended up on the right side of the fence. Mmm huh...

we-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Also I've noticed that me and my friends tend to buy the same games, usually the douche of the group pirates it and tells everyone how utterly amazing it is and the rest of us go out and buy it as the word spreads.. That's why I personally have this theory that if you actually used pirates as a PR resource of sorts, you might actually see an increase in sales, unless your game stinks of course.

They don't make demos anymore. Every wonder why. Also, you apparently have douces for friends, what does that say about you. Or maybe you were just making sure you ended up on the right side of the fence. Mmm huh...

o:) I can see why that looked a bit fishy, but I do have douches for friends when it comes to pirating. I remember the birth of pirate games back on the Commodore and Amiga - and how, when the PC came, the first "companies" of hackers started releasing their "products" on cds - Pirating became a sort of romantic profession, fighting the system - a digital Robin Hood.. That's the image most of my generation had when we were kids and that's a little difficult to fight, I'm proud that most of my friends have stopped pirating and started buying games instead, but I also understand why some haven't.. I don't know what todays youth thinks about pirating, if it is to them simply another means of getting a game, no moral strings attached.. but I imagine that fighting the misconceptions each generation has, would be a very good start.

Fortune favors the bald.

It's nr.1 in the playstation charts. Does it require always online for consoles ?. If it doesn't I was just wondering what they are going to do about emulators.

PCs continue to get faster, but consoles wont untill the current cycle is over, say another 4 years.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

It's nr.1 in the playstation charts. Does it require always online for consoles ?. If it doesn't I was just wondering what they are going to do about emulators.

PCs continue to get faster, but consoles wont untill the current cycle is over, say another 4 years.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 are so powerful hardwares, that good enough emulation will not be available for the next 10+ years...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

It's not about the power of the hardware, but the complexity of the emulation increases exponentially, to the point that trying to emulate it is just not feasible.

Do you know, that you just said the same thing as i did, but just different words? :)

I'm certainly anti-piracy, which is why I'm replaying my old games because I can't afford to splash out on new ones. But i'm also against oppressive DRM for one simple and - I feel - golden reason...

It doesn't stop piracy.

This should surely be the end of the argument. Publishers who buy and use DRM are wasting money and should stop.

FURTHER

I also believe that DRM cannot work. Because DRM is an additional component which must be added into software, and therefore to negate it you just take that aspect out. The only way the defender can win is to mutate the DRM faster than the attackers can crack it, which would require constant DRM updates and a rolling enterprise. Which is unlikely to ever match the hacking community.

Unless I'm just being pessimistic.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

There's a lot of piracy on the 'closed' 360 and NintendoDS.

It doesn't have anything to do with the hardware itself, but the increasingly complicated code.

You're conclusion was correct, but it was based on a false premise.

Nope, he's right. You're right too, but less right than him

Better hardware leads to more complicated code and- all other things being equal- more complicated code is harder to emulate. You're looking at the symptom rather than the ultimate cause, the better hardware.

I find it surprising how casually piracy is regarded by some people. During the few months I was working at Circuit City I had a customer come up and ask if we sold blank DS cartridges because they had heard that they could get free games if they had one. With the advent of broadband and peer to peer networking clients, piracy has exploded among the general populace where once it was regulated to a much more niche group of individuals.

Piracy although a problem on closed systems is generally less of an issue because of the difficulties of getting/installing a mod chip and other issues such as risks of having the console banned from online play. There are still people who will go through the trouble and take the risks but it's not the general populace that's doing it (I know this may be different depending on where one lives). Piracy with PCs (and on some closed devices) on the other hand is incredibly easy, appealing to a wider audience, and requires almost no thought -- pretty much any Joe-schmoe is capable.

I just saw on the news that the Danish government is considering instigating a piracy tax, they are going to call it something cutting edge like 'internet multimedia' tax or some such, much like the one already in place on digital storage media in most countries. If they do I'll start downloading immediately, I mean I would be losing out if I didn't and no one could say I didn't pay for it.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

I admit I missed that point. Yes, consoles are harder to pirate for. The physical component is the clincher. It's possibly why console games are seen as bigger earners. Unless I'm wrong about that too. :unsure:

But I do think PC games are unlikely to go away. I mean piracy hasn't killed film making. Yet.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I just saw on the news that the Danish government is considering instigating a piracy tax, they are going to call it something cutting edge like 'internet multimedia' tax or some such, much like the one already in place on digital storage media in most countries. If they do I'll start downloading immediately, I mean I would be losing out if I didn't and no one could say I didn't pay for it.

+1

Anyway... anyone knows if Ubi's servers are still down???

Yes, apparently many are still down. Not all of them are down, but the connection problems remain and keep on recurring for many players.

DRM works fine when you don't have an open platform.

I recall hearing or reading somewhere that console piracy is now bigger than PC piracy, but I don't remember the source, so I don't want to be stating it unequivocally. Of course, assuming that's true, as a ratio to sales it is still much smaller.

Also, it works pretty well for stopping second-hand sales.

Yes, it is definitely effective at that.

Yes, consoles are harder to pirate for. The physical component is the clincher. It's possibly why console games are seen as bigger earners. Unless I'm wrong about that too. :lol:

Supposedly, there are now software cracks for consoles, but I am not sure how much truth there is to that.

Anyway, console games are generally assumed to be bigger earners. This is probably true even if digital downloads and MMOs are included as part of the PC market, but including those would make the disparity smaller than it appears to be going by retail sales alone.