Neverwinter Nights Premium Modules Pulled Down

ramza

Remember BioWare's downloadable Neverwinter Nights premium modules? Kingmaker, Shadowguard, Witch's Wake, Pirates of the Sword Coast, etc.?

A few days ago I somewhat accidentally noticed that all of their pages on BioWare's website, as well as their web store, have been removed. I inquired about this over at BioWare and learned that the premium modules were removed from BioWare's website at Atari's instruction. What's more, BioWare can no longer sell them nor advertise them.

Through further inquiries we've learned that this has happened at the end of August and that BioWare had almost no notice from Atari and had to remove the premium modules within a day for "legal reasons".

The modules that have been purchased and redeemed are still playable, but all support or further sales for them now rest with Atari.

The only problem is, Atari is not currently selling them, except the first 3 in boxed compilations, such as Neverwinter Nights Diamond. Oops?

We'll see if we can get some more information on this over the next few days...

http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50412

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

A obsolete, almost 8 yr old game had support pulled. And the news exactly? Did no one think eventually NWN1 was going to fade away retail wise? *shugs* Considering the community is down to the cult level its not a big deal really. Whos going to pay for DLC for a 8 yr old game at this point?

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Man, your loathing of BIO and bashing of them is still nonstop.

"obsolete, almost 8 yr old game had support pulled. "

An 8 year old game that likely has more actual fan participattion than newer games - including its own sequel.

"And the news exactly?"

It's news 'cause it has nothing to do with how old NWN is. This likely legal; crap, not 'this game is old so let's stop supporting it'. Espicially, since these modules are still available for those who already bought themw hich means the bandwidth is still being paid for.

"Did no one think eventually NWN1 was going to fade away retail wise?"

Not ebfore NWN2. R00fles!

" *shugs* Considering the community is down to the cult level its not a big deal really."

It hasn't dropped all that much. You exaggerate too much.

"Whos going to pay for DLC for a 8 yr old game at this point?"

I bet more than you think.

You are obviosuly still mad that NWN2 failed to destroy NWN1 like you predicted. R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

> Man, your loathing of BIO and bashing of them is still nonstop.

Not at all.. retail 101 actually. And im bashing them non-stop? Please read the first 3/4 of my mini-review and explain to me how thats 'non-stop bashing'. Quick run down wonderful and interesting writing and story, mostly great GFX, awsome sound and music. And gave a average score to the combat system I find fault with. Damn... I need to stop my non-stop bashing of them it seems.

> An 8 year old game that likely has more actual fan participattion than newer games - including its own sequel. *snip other non-fact based comments*

Took a quick look over at a few of the nwn1 forums and nwvault.

Both pretty slow. Only about 3 or 4 threads updated a day it seems in the most populated forums for nwn1 and nwvault is even slower news wise with new content for nwn1 few and far between. Took a look at the equivlant forums for nwn2 about 10-12 updated threads still a day. NWN1 community is indeed down to cult level. Sorry thats a bitter pill for you.

As for the 'legal' comment. Don't be gulliable. Thats the default reply when theres either company politics involved and they can't or/and don't want to say anything as its a non-issue to them. 'Sorry legal reasons cant talk about it' translation 'none of your fracking business kid. company perogative'. Happens all the time. Its a easy way out from them not to have to deal with the handful of people who even noticed. If you think people are still buying the NWN1 DLC then you'd think someone would have noticed BEFORE 4 months went by? Just saying.

And do you have any hard numbers to back up your wild acusations besides your fanboy merit badge? Didn't think so. In other words just pulling 'facts' out of the air. *shrugs*

World of Darkness News

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

I am wondering how long until they remove the authentification from them and the DLCs become unplayable :)

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I am wondering how long until they remove the authentification from them and the DLCs become unplayable ;)

If I recall the EULA correct they can pull he plug at any time for any reason with a 30 day notice. The 'notice' however can be anything from a front page announcement/press release to a foot note buried in the small print on said web page.

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

Poor, poor Harlequin. Still upset that NWN2 failed to crush NWN1 like he predicted. Defibe 'cult' level.

"NWN1 community is indeed down to cult level. Sorry thats a bitter pill for you."

Why would I worry about the NWN1 community and how active it is when I haven't played NWN in awhile myself? I've moved on. You haven't apparantly.

"And do you have any hard numbers to back up your wild acusations besides your fanboy merit badge? Didn't think so. In other words just pulling 'facts' out of the air. *shrugs*"

Except that's exactly what youa re doing. Just keep crying abotut he fact that NWN1 > NWN2.

R00fles!

Poor, poor Harlequin. Still upset that NWN2 failed to crush NWN1 like he predicted. Defibe 'cult' level.

It surprised me for sure. NWN2 was superior in pretty much every way, especially when you take Mask of the Betrayer into account. The only thing that NWN1 got better was the ease of adding new character graphics like armor and heads.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

*snip Vol's arseclownery*

I did research to get those numbers, don't beleive me go to the forums yourself and count. Unlike you, again, I don't pull 'facts' from personal wishes and pretend they are hard data. *shurgs* I am still waiting for you to show me hard data NWN1 DLC's would still sell in any reasonable numbers today. Like I said, didnt think so.

As for this 'im bitter' garbage, please. Did well but not as well as I thought. As said above it was a superior product no matter how you cut it and I am content in that. I forgot to factor in human nature is all. People don't like change. (and many hard core CRPGs run out dated systems from my personal expereince). You make it sound as if I lost sleep over it. Get a grip last thing on my mind for awhile, if you are so over it then stop bringing it up. :shifty: Again, didn't think so.

Anyways... moving on to topics of substance.

Edited by TheHarlequin

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

"It surprised me for sure. NWN2 was superior in pretty much every way, especially when you take Mask of the Betrayer into account. The only thing that NWN1 got better was the ease of adding new character graphics like armor and heads. "

No, NWN2 is not suprior. It does do things better, it also does things worse.

"You make it sound as if I lost sleep over it. Get a grip last thing on my mind for awhile, if you are so over it then stop bringing it up."

Works both ways, bub.

And, you know you didn't use any 'facts' or numbers. You spouters your opinion. Nothing more nothing less.

Bottom line: NWN1 > NWN2.. MOTB is the exception to prove the rule.

This is a fact.

Atari having a tantrum that BIO decided to make DA instead of NWN2, and passed on BG3.

R00fles!

Must admit I'm totally uninformed, but I was thinking the exact same thing when I tested DA for 3 hrs the other day. My immediate reaction was that this was NWN2, only.. better. Cam works better, no gliding avatars, animations are improved. Did Bio hand down a premature DA-engine to OE, and then watch as OE released NWN2 - learning from their mistakes and fixing them in DA? I wouldn't be surprised if they saw NWN2 as a free Beta-test for DA, coz all the shyte that bugged me to no end about NWN2 was gone. Bio knows their stuff.

Shame on them for giving up D&D and going rpg-lite with auto-rezz consolized EA-cookie cutter world tho. And afaic, they can keep all their PnP-products, Gaider-novels and all that fluff. I hope EA don't turn them into a s**t-factory. :x

J.

Atari having a tantrum that BIO decided to make DA instead of NWN2, and passed on BG3.

R00fles!

I tend to agree here...

This seems to me like Atari is behaving like 5 year old and out of fear of losing sales to Bioware's DA: Origins do this? Don't they know that people who might buy DA: Origins will also buy an D&D game from Atari? (many people still apparently don't know the difference between a publisher and a game developer):

And - I thought the need to authenticate the Premium Modules and be online to play them were removed in patch 1.66; at least in patch 1.69. the last patch?

And what does redeemed mean? Does this mean that I can't play any of these modules now? I have bought them, but not installed any of them.

[i thought I would be playing NWN1 after I finished playing BG2 - yes, I'm that behind on my playing schedule].

If I can't, well, there's still Darkness over Daggerford and all the otther great free mods for NWN1...to play...

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

On the main issue, I wouldn't rule out WOTC being involved- they could have got snarky about the modules technically being sublicencing of the D&D licence to EA rather than subcontracting to Bioware now that BW is no longer independent.

Oh yeah, apparently NWN2 sold more than NWN1 (I was rather surprised, as much as NWN2 is IMO far superior to NWN1 in every way I never thought it was reflected in sales). NWN1+exps ~3million, NWN2 ~3.25million- and that even excluded SOZ.

"Oh yeah, apparently NWN2 sold more than NWN1 (I was rather surprised, as much as NWN2 is IMO far superior to NWN1 in every way I never thought it was reflected in sales). NWN1+exps ~3million, NWN2 ~3.25million- and that even excluded SOZ."

This is the first I've heard of this. L0L

Where did you get this info from?

Edited by Volourn

Talk about someone with their foot in their mouth...

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

"It surprised me for sure. NWN2 was superior in pretty much every way, especially when you take Mask of the Betrayer into account. The only thing that NWN1 got better was the ease of adding new character graphics like armor and heads. "

No, NWN2 is not suprior. It does do things better, it also does things worse.

"You make it sound as if I lost sleep over it. Get a grip last thing on my mind for awhile, if you are so over it then stop bringing it up."

Works both ways, bub.

And, you know you didn't use any 'facts' or numbers. You spouters your opinion. Nothing more nothing less.

Bottom line: NWN1 > NWN2.. MOTB is the exception to prove the rule.

This is a fact.

No, It is just your opinnion...

Shame on them for giving up D&D and going rpg-lite with auto-rezz consolized EA-cookie cutter world tho.

THere are D&D games that have auto-res too.

Many Baldur's Gate fans would contend that Dragon Age might even be a superior game to Baldur's Gate.

I wouldn't be surprised if they saw NWN2 as a free Beta-test for DA, coz all the shyte that bugged me to no end about NWN2 was gone.

They're different games, made by different companies, made on different engines. With several years between them to boot!

"No, It is just your opinnion... "

It's just your opinion that it's just my opinion.

"Talk about someone with their foot in their mouth..."

Agreed. He's obviously making things up. He's the first guy EVER *anywhere* to claim that NWN2 outsold NWN1. Not even YOU have tried to claim that.

Edited by Volourn

the only article about sales numbers that i found are from April 2007...

http://www.simexchange.com/blogpost.php?post_id=277

at that time NWN2 surpased 1 million units and NWN1+NWN1 expansions+NWN2 sold over 3 millions in total...

so after few month of the game out, the sales ratio of 1:2 (NWN2 alone versus NWN1 + all expansions) was not to bad...

Edited by Mamoulian War