Dragon Age DLC

Hurlshort

As far as DRM goes, I think Dragon Age actually has one of the most inventive DRM-schemes, and it seems someone is finally getting the point. What I mean is that, in a way, all the free DLC available can be seen as a form of DRM. All the free items you can get through Journeys, the charqacter creator, pre-ordering, etc... is a real incentive to play with an original copy.

So for once, actually buying the game adds value rather than detract. I think that was a great move on Bio/EA's part and I hope it pays off. It certainly feels like money better spent than investing in a loathed drm-system anyway.

Another that I think is decent is the free DLC with a new purchase.

yes that is finaly a thing we can both agree upon :)

the only problem with such a DRM scheme is the need for online activations, i just simply can't get over the thought, that if someone pulls the plug off, i can lose all the stuff for which i payed a lot of money :x

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Another that I think is decent is the free DLC with a new purchase.

yes that is finaly a thing we can both agree upon :)

the only problem with such a DRM scheme is the need for online activations, i just simply can't get over the thought, that if someone pulls the plug off, i can lose all the stuff for which i payed a lot of money :x

It will only have to be activated once, I think? at least on the PC. As it is right now, DLC is tied to your account. As long as you are playing the DLC with the account you used to buy it with from the Bioware site, you can play it. I believe this is how thinks stands right now ?

It could be different for the PSN and Xbox Live, though?

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

I never really thought of all those bonus things, but it's a good point for sure!

Another that I think is decent is the free DLC with a new purchase. Though this does give second hand sales a knock, which some won't like at all.

I'm fairly certain it occured to the people who made the decision in the organisation. ;)

In fact, I'm betting the "free DLC" concept was a major supporter of the simpler DRM scheme.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

DITTO!!!!!!!

i'd WAY WAY WAY rather have a bonus for proving i have a legit copy than have a punishing drm scheme just to prove im not a thief.

i hope those limited install securom bull **** drm schemes all burn in hell

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The only DLC that could complain about logging into your social account are the payable ones. So Stone Prisone and Warden's keep.

Other you can just download as .dazips and install via daupdater.exe in your Dragon age install folder. Or if you don't have patched game, there's unencrypted russian provided DLC that require no activation at all. Even posted on Bioware social boards. http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/8/index/110849/1

So what DRM?

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Looks like the thread diverted from DLC to DRM.

As with several others on the earlier pages of this thread I keep out buying my copy of DA till a Gold edition which will have all DLC-content, instead of having to purchase them like this. Hopefully also including the gigantic pool of pre-release DLC, bonus DLC, item DLC, unlockable DLC and stuff that makes the avarage consumer loose track. Seriously, there are like 12 unlockable bonus items already? :ermm: And spread all over the place?

As for the ingame NPC, that's just extreme bad marketing. I know what Alanschu said but a NPC shipped with the game asking you to buy "new" content can't do anything but make you feel ripped, like it should have already been in the game at the start.

If it was just about getting attention, how about having the UPGRADE button show DLC too? With the trend of release date patches I am sure most people will check for updates as soon as possible, and if the updater shows "Warden Keep" as downloadable for a price besides the free patch, surely that's plain enough as it can be without having to resort to stuffing ingame NPC's with immersion-breaking messages.

Sure, you still get flak for a release date DLC package, but less than a NPC ingame saying "BUY my content, that isn't in the game unless you pay $7 but was planned otherwise I wouldn't stand here pulling you in for it!" which does imply intentional cutting. As yes, the BG1 X-pack did too (BG2's not).

Oh well, will give my opinions on DA in a year or 2... :ermm:

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

What... here? No! No it can't be!

As with several others on the earlier pages of this thread I keep out buying my copy of DA till a Gold edition which will have all DLC-content, instead of having to purchase them like this. Hopefully also including the gigantic pool of pre-release DLC, bonus DLC, item DLC, unlockable DLC and stuff that makes the avarage consumer loose track. Seriously, there are like 12 unlockable bonus items already? :ermm: And spread all over the place?

They already have this. The digital deluxe edition has everything. Or at least, most things. A lot of the minor bonus items are specific to preorder or place of purchase or whatever. There's even stuff you get through the flash game, and by uploading a character you made in the character creator. I highly doubt these bonuses are going to be included in the inevitable GOTY edition. They're pretty negligible.

If you're waiting until it's cheaper and in physical form, well, more power to you I guess.

Are you referring to the online activation for the free DLC?
You can't load a saved game unless you're logged in, that's what he meant I think.

I play logged out with the DLC.

I always get a pop up saying I need to log in to load the premium content save if I click Resume before the auto-log in finishes.

Are you referring to the online activation for the free DLC?

in this case, i was more talking generally...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

The only DLC that could complain about logging into your social account are the payable ones. So Stone Prisone and Warden's keep.

Other you can just download as .dazips and install via daupdater.exe in your Dragon age install folder. Or if you don't have patched game, there's unencrypted russian provided DLC that require no activation at all. Even posted on Bioware social boards. http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/8/index/110849/1

So what DRM?

Stone Prisoner's the key on this train of thought, anyway.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

What... here? No! No it can't be!

Yeah, I know. Staggering ain't it...?

They already have this. The digital deluxe edition has everything. Or at least, most things. A lot of the minor bonus items are specific to preorder or place of purchase or whatever. There's even stuff you get through the flash game, and by uploading a character you made in the character creator. I highly doubt these bonuses are going to be included in the inevitable GOTY edition. They're pretty negligible.

If you're waiting until it's cheaper and in physical form, well, more power to you I guess.

Except for the map and other goodiees in a boxed version. And you still have to DL new DLC in the future, probably forcing you to replay DA to access it (unless you have saves handy or can continue after the main campaign is over).

And if Gold doesn't include them by then I suppose modders added them in (same happened with the IWD salesman in BG2).

So if I wait, not only is it cheaper, I get a more complete story in one run etc. Maybe I am just old fashioned though and like a X-pack more that takes place *after* the main story instead of added inbetween.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee