Dead Space

alanschu

A sequel to which game?

I'm glad that they aren't dragging out all the old IPs to squeeze the last few dollars out of them.

I would love to see EA sequels to/remakes of:

Archon I/II (Full contact chess)

Seven Cities of Gold/Heart of Africa (Exploration games)

M.U.L.E. (Trading/Empire building game)

Mail Order Monsters (Rather unique)

Racing Destruction Set (My second most favourite racing game)

Pinball Construction Set (Good fun, create your own pinball machines)

Alternate Reality (A much overlooked/underrated crpg)

Marble Madness (Good arcade fun, although EA probably doesn't own the rights to it)

Deathlord (another forgotten crpg)

AAARGH! (Monster simulator)

Caveman Ugh-Lympics (Sports game that was actually fun)

Mars Saga (Bards Tale in space)

Neuromancer (from the time before Interplay published all of its own titles)

Sentinel Worlds (another forgotten adventure/crpg)

Zany Golf (believe it or not, a golf game that is fun)

Realms of Impossibility (Surreal labyrinth game)

Battle of the Bulge (Strategy game with some real challenges)

A number of games already did get sequels like Populous and Bards Tale.

Some of the above was developed by Ozark... wonder what became of them? :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

A sequel to which game?

I'm glad that they aren't dragging out all the old IPs to squeeze the last few dollars out of them.

THIS eleventy billion times. That would be so fracking cool! <3

You're missing out on something, but I can't say you made a bad choice either.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

You'd get bored with it half way through anyway and probably hate yourself for upgrading the assault rifle instead of the suit or pistol.

Pistol and the shock cannon is all you need!

All the guns are actually useful except for the flamethrower.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Seven Cities of Gold/Heart of Africa (Exploration games)

M.U.L.E. (Trading/Empire building game)

Mail Order Monsters (Rather unique)

Racing Destruction Set (My second most favourite racing game)

I loved Archon and MULE, and played a good bit of SCoG and RDS (and Mail Order Monsters - I've been trying to remember the name of that game for ages!!!)

Pinball Construction Set (Good fun, create your own pinball machines)

Alternate Reality (A much overlooked/underrated crpg)

Marble Madness (Good arcade fun, although EA probably doesn't own the rights to it)

Deathlord (another forgotten crpg)

AAARGH! (Monster simulator)

Caveman Ugh-Lympics (Sports game that was actually fun)

Mars Saga (Bards Tale in space)

Neuromancer (from the time before Interplay published all of its own titles)

Sentinel Worlds (another forgotten adventure/crpg)

Zany Golf (believe it or not, a golf game that is fun)

Realms of Impossibility (Surreal labyrinth game)

Battle of the Bulge (Strategy game with some real challenges)

A number of games already did get sequels like Populous and Bards Tale.

Wasn't Sentinel Worlds sequel Hard Nova? And Mars Saga was remade as Mines of Titan?

Some of the above was developed by Ozark... wonder what became of them? :lol:

I seem to remember reading an interview with Danielle Berry that Ozark was working on a sequel/update to M.U.L.E. for the Sega Genesis, but she disagreed with what EA wanted added (guns and bombs) to update the game and ended up dissolving the company (I think all four of the people ended up doing other things in the industry).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I really wish they had added some more diverse environments. I was pretty excited to finally go to the colony in Dead Space only to end up going into a transfer tunnel that looked just like the rest of the ship I had spent nine hours exploring. :lol:

Its a problem with a lot of sci fi horror games. Try something that, while it might be a bit cliche, will be more interesting to explore. A huanted forest, a speeding train... something. The spooky metal ship is great... but it just gets a bit old.

Despite this, I had a great time with Dead Space. The game is extremely tense and intense and points.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

• 1 month later...

So I'm playing this game again on my laptop because it is a fun game, dreading that Resident Evil-esque nosedive at the end, with a 360 controller because damn this port sucks (holy **** does a mouse make the asteroid blaster parts easier, though!) and I came across this here thing -

nooooon.jpg

Almost overlooked it. I wonder if the smudged out parts are somewhere else, or if we're supposed to play cryptographer. It's neat any way you slice it.

Anyway, playing it on normal and unfortunately it's still pretty damn easy. I learned my lesson from my first playthrough and avoided the flamethrower and pulse rifle, both of which are fairly useless. Neglected to update my plasma cutter up until just now and have instead beefed up my line gun and force guns to a moderate degree and gone whole hog on the Ripper, which kills most anything (sometimes several things - great against the little fleshy swarms) in a single shot. Good times. Also figured out that most of the early powerlocked rooms contain schematics for ammo, which makes them more worth opening than I thought earlier. Most of my initial thoughts I stand by, though. Hate monster closets.

And I keep catching myself fantasizing about Obsidz taking those leftover Aliens: Crucible assets and rejiggering them into a Dead Space RPG. Setting's pretty tight, gameplay could work (though I don't know how "strategic dismemberment" would work in Onyx) and it's the same sort of sci-fi horror that A:C would have been. A boy can dream, can't he?

Edited by Pop

I loved the low whispering in the game. I could have sworn I heard something, so I cranked the volume up and heard "A desire for social interaction, physical contact, affection or support may lead you to make poor judgments or decisions in multiple areas". I found that phrase pretty funny/creepy considering Isaac's main goal. :aiee:

It will do him no good going in expecting too much.

The game is in no way bad, it's just too long and you shouldn't really expect some epic horror experience. Just another fun romp in space with some neat features like cutting limbs off and hopping around in zero-g.

I think Dead Space was okay, but it wasn't scary in the slightest which really hurt the experience overall. One of those games that just made me wish I was playing System Shock 2 instead. Some of the environments are extremely well done though.

Also, did anyone think that this game had some of the most annoying monster noises ever? God I hated that gurgling noise the first enemy types did.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I totally agree about the environment, the whole Cathedral like architecture of the ship and awesome baroque space suit were awesome.

The biggest problem IMO was that the game dragged on for way too long, once you start getting tougher reskinned versions of old enemies instead on new ones, you know your game is too long.

The whole Event Horizon ghost thing was pretty unnecessary IMO, whispers are always welcome, though.

i loved the ghosts in space stuff.

space ghosts are awesome in all forms :lol:

(system shock 2 and space ghost are the superior versions though)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.