Dead Space

alanschu

So you own all those games also? Gee, what a surprise.. You must be Estonia's richest resident.

Look kids, it's mr trollman!

If I were to get Mirror's Edge, would you recommend PC or 360?

If you have a capable PC, get the PC one. They really upped the graphics on the PC version IIRC.

Edited by Purkake

PC, you monkey. It's a first person game, so best with a mouse.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Both Dead Space and Mirror's Edge were stupid games. Hope EA has something better in store next time they want to launch a new IP.

At least they tried something new, it's better than "yes-we-release-it-every-year 2009" and "doomed-to-fail-MMO #72".

I rather see a sequel that is fun than a new IP that is a turd. Face it. EA's internal studios suck, and DICE can only make Battlefield games, so what to expect there?

EA has many good IP, I would like to see EA use them more then another new IP.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

The thing is, if Mr. Spector hadn't been trying to design some a new IP, we would have never gotten any of the System Shocks.

I don't mind a sequel, especially if it's still a good game. But my favourite games tend to be the ones that are something new and awesome, rather than a sequel and awesome.

As you say, you want a new System Shock "in the right hands." But what happens if those hands don't make the game that you want? Do you just dismiss it as "not the right hands after all?"

A good SS2 sequel would be awesome, but the chance of anyone doing the franchise justice at the moment is slim to none IMO. I'd rather have no SS3 than some half-assed game based on someone else's "vision".

Edited by Purkake

Hell, I'm all for new IP's, but the fact stays that sucky developers make sucky games, no matter whether new IP or sequel. I should have saw it coming that Dead Space was a cheap RE/SS ripoff. I'll never ever buy a new game from an unknown studio.

As for rights hands: That means that the devs don't mess around with already perfect gameplay mechanism. I wouldn't trust a nobody developer to make a System Shock sequel.

I love Ultima (Ultima VII FTW!!!), but I'm not interested in an Ultima game that doesn't have Garriott at the helm.

I also saw what EA did to the franchise back in the day so I'm not holding out much hope that it'll ever get revived.

I'd rather have no SS3 than some half-assed game based on someone else's "vision".

With that I can agree. But "the right hands" wouldn't make a half-assed game.

And I want an unicorn. What are the chances that it will end up in the "right hands" and get enough publisher funding and freedom to actually finish it and release a polished game?

:aiee: Everyone loves SHODAN.

There's million cool things you could do with her if you put a decent writer on it, it doesn't have to be the same old "oh noes, the evil AI has taken over the space station/ship/whatever". Also, there's this nice article on her, if anyone's interested.

What if you ARE SHODAN? Dun dun dun!

Seriously, how many games have you be an AI in a limited organic body? It could be her story about how she eventually gets over the crazy god complex and learns what it's like to be human.

Edited by Purkake

The same could be said for almost anything though.

It does seem pretty clear that Shodan has her goals and ambitions. To have her significantly deviate from them would diminish the character IMO.

She would start out with the same goals but grow as a character over the course of the story, or not if you want it all RPG-y. It would also mesh nicely with the cyberpunk man/machine thing, but kind of turned on its head.

Sure you can make anything work with good writing, but System Shock gives you a nice starting platform and still has some pull behind the IP.

Edited by Purkake