Something new

I've got "Alpha Protocol" tagged in Google Alerts. Today I received at least 13 separate emails pointing to different gaming blogs reporting on Rorie's post in this thread. As far as I'm aware he's the first person connected in any way to the emails to respond to the leak under the pretense that it's real, so people are acting as though this is definitely real.

Edited by Pop

Stupidity made manifest is dripping from my laptop, thanks a bunch internet.

Your responses here just persuaded me to buy this game. I appreciate you!
At least Matt got another buyer from the deal. :p Edited by Oner

In case y'all haven't been keeping track, the game blogz have picked up on Mattie's comments as de facto confirmation of the leaked memo's veracity.

I bet he got some angry calls this morning.

They must have missed the "assuming this is legit" caveat in his message. :)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

This makes you think of DVD movie cases.

Reviewer writes: "[FILM] will NEVER be regarded as fantastic, it is pure ****."

And thus, on the DVD box, you see: "Fantastic!" - New York Times.

:o

:thumbsup:

Game industry definitely should learn from the movie/publishing business on this fine art of quotation. Then suddenly every Bethesda/Bioware box would bear Codexian approval.

;)

Hah! Great stuff that. Muse's The Resistance released recently and in the promo they included a quote stating that the album was "...a streak of utter brilliance." The actual review reads, "Exogenesis is a streak of utter brilliance across The Resistance's beguiling, inconsistent sky..." :(

Anyway, I'm not sure where Michael Foster's coming from or what he was expecting from Alpha Protocol but at least he didn't compare it to Fallout 3.

This is what September Play magazine says about Alpha Protocol as a RPG game:

These decisions do have interesting payoffs, but does having choices, a shop, and an experience-point system transform an action game into an RPG? I think not, and as a fan of both genres, it bothers me to hear Sega constantly pushing Alpha Protocol as something it's not. If Alpha Protocol is an RPG, then why is 95% of it's gameplay straight out of Metal Gear and Splinter Cell? Does a modicum of depth in an action game really transform it into an RPG? (And don't give me that 'well, you're playing a role' crap, because that's true of every game).

Alpha Protocol does break from the shooter archetype in offering a focus on player choices, well-written dialogue, and a compelling narrative. But why can't a third-person person shooter have things like that? Do we really think so little of shooters that any game is automatically excluded from the genre if it involves a few menus and some light reading?

It's too early to tell if Alpha Protocol's more inspired elements can mesh successfully with the shooter at its core, but I can tell you one thing with certainty-this is no RPG. Role-playing games are a notoriously difficult genre to define, but if the genre has one central pillar, it's a focus on strategy or exploration over reflex-driven action. A mission-based third-person shooter certainly doesn't qualify, even if it does have a well-written story, strong player customization options, and an interesting focus of choice.

This is what September Play magazine says about Alpha Protocol as a RPG game:

These decisions do have interesting payoffs, but does having choices, a shop, and an experience-point system transform an action game into an RPG? I think not, and as a fan of both genres, it bothers me to hear Sega constantly pushing Alpha Protocol as something it's not. If Alpha Protocol is an RPG, then why is 95% of it's gameplay straight out of Metal Gear and Splinter Cell? Does a modicum of depth in an action game really transform it into an RPG? (And don't give me that 'well, you're playing a role' crap, because that's true of every game).

Alpha Protocol does break from the shooter archetype in offering a focus on player choices, well-written dialogue, and a compelling narrative. But why can't a third-person person shooter have things like that? Do we really think so little of shooters that any game is automatically excluded from the genre if it involves a few menus and some light reading?

It's too early to tell if Alpha Protocol's more inspired elements can mesh successfully with the shooter at its core, but I can tell you one thing with certainty-this is no RPG. Role-playing games are a notoriously difficult genre to define, but if the genre has one central pillar, it's a focus on strategy or exploration over reflex-driven action. A mission-based third-person shooter certainly doesn't qualify, even if it does have a well-written story, strong player customization options, and an interesting focus of choice.

Says the magazine that gave Lair 9 out of 10 :lol:

Obsidian just didn't pay them enough to say it's an RPG.

Edited by Baeus