What are you playing now?

Pidesco

Yeah. It's not like CS at all where there were very clear "checkpoints" that factions could take over. At least not in the first map.

In the first map, I've encountered the neutral STALKER faction as well as Bandits. What's interesting is that both of these factions are neutral to the player, at least in the start. I'm guessing that you can choose your allies based on who you do missions for and so on. In fact, in the first "hub", there are members of both the neutral and bandit faction in the same place. I decided to undertake a mission I got from one of the bandits and got the option to betray them for the neutral faction. But it's definetely not the type of war zone we saw in Clear Sky. And maybe even in the first game, I haven't really seen any outposts held by a particular faction yet.

I know Duty and Freedom are also in the game, though I haven't encountered them yet.

Out in the wild, the small groups of stalkers don't really battle for waypoints. It seems they "float around" a bit more in the area, and sometimes neutral stalkers and bandits get into conflicts. Again, when this happens, both parties are neutral to you until you decide if you want to fire upon on one of them. Perhaps if you kill enough squads of one faction, that entire faction will turn hostile on you, I'm not really sure. What it means in the first map though, is that main threat (outside of individual quest situations) is definetely from the mutants and not from other stalkers. I'm sure that will change as the game progresses though.

Another thing is that, in the first map at least, there are a few places where a lot of anomalies have gathered together to basically form a landmark (marked on the map and all). In these places, you often find other stalkers searching for artifacts. I'm not sure how this works, but one cool thing was when I saw a stalker hunting for an artifact get caught by an anomaly and was severely wounded. I ended up giving him a medkit and he actually thanked me and gave me an artifact for the trouble. Was a nice touch, didn't really expect that.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Has anyone played Resident Evil 5 for the PC? Does it play well with keyboard/mouse?

Yes. It's even easier than with a gamepad.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Has anyone played Resident Evil 5 for the PC? Does it play well with keyboard/mouse?

Yes. It's even easier than with a gamepad.

Yes and yes. :thumbsup:

Good to know. :)

I ran the benchmark and to my surprise my PC fared well with all high settings (exception: Anti-aliasing was at 2x.) I might keep it off for better performance, jagged edges don't bother me much since I played the PS2 religiously in the last console era.

re5benchmarkx.jpg

Edited by Syraxis

Now that I have a new fancy (tho not-quite-uber) rig, I need some new games to play on it. Problem is, while I do like action/combat "rpgs", I don't like shooters. :thumbsup: ....I guess I could see how "awesome" NWN2, KOTOR, and a few others might run now but...

Anyone tried Risen or Dawn of Discovery?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Good to know. :thumbsup:

I ran the benchmark and to my surprise my PC fared well with all high settings (exception: Anti-aliasing was at 2x.) I might keep it off for better performance, jagged edges don't bother me much since I played the PS2 religiously in the last console era.

re5benchmarkx.jpg

As a single player game it isn't as good as RE4, but it MORE than makes up for it due to the awesome coop mode.

After close to a day of downloading (I'm on a DSL line,) I finally sat down and played a bit of RE5. My experience so far:

I can't get used to the keyboard/mouse controls, I had to set it on easy... *hangs head in shame.*

What's the problem? Aiming is much, much easier with a mouse.

Anyway, like RE4 the trick to RE5 gameplay is moving around. Regardless of the control method, all you need to do is not waste ammo. Keep shooting until some zombie is about to jump you, then move to a safe distance. Repeat forever and ever, until you realize the action gameplay is grounded in a design concept that is not only flawed, but utterly and completely retarded. It's repetitive, annoying, stupidly easy and immersion breaking. It's just shooting hordes of stationary targets in the face.

Heja Sverige!!

What's the problem? Aiming is much, much easier with a mouse.

Anyway, like RE4 the trick to RE5 gameplay is moving around. Regardless of the control method, all you need to do is not waste ammo. Keep shooting until some zombie is about to jump you, then move to a safe distance. Repeat forever and ever, until you realize the action gameplay is grounded in a design concept that is not only flawed, but utterly and completely retarded. It's repetitive, annoying, stupidly easy and immersion breaking. It's just shooting hordes of stationary targets in the face.

:thumbsup: Yeah I finally got a feel for keyboard/mouse, I set it back to normal after the first area (ambush with the horde + executioner.) What's also retarded is that you can't move while shooting, strange since Chris is "gears of war" huge, steroids much?

Edited by Syraxis

It's what makes the game scary!!!!

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

It's what makes the game scary!!!!

Except it doesn't.

Heja Sverige!!

Not really.

I'll keep saying Dead Space is better in every way. :ermm:

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Well, they're not the same kind of game in sense that Dead Space's shooting is actually well designed, while RE's is not.

Heja Sverige!!

You know Alan, that doesn't carry the same stigma as in earlier times. You can do it, no one will judge you except yourself and your loneliness. :ermm:

Heja Sverige!!

Well, right now it's just some <deleted> that has me needing to <deleted>. Still in <deleted> but that is pretty much the whole picture at the moment.
Later on, Asahina-san basically explained this issue to me. Of course, sniffles were intertwined with the explanation.

"Uuu... Lemme think... I have continued to use classified information to contact the future or to do classified information... Urr. I only feel something is wrong when I have had no contact from classified information for a week. And then classified information... Makes me very worried, so I tried to use classified information and the answer was classified information... Uuu... Waa! Whatever should I do..."

What to do? I have no clue. Is classified information some highly sensitive words that must be censored?

I work at CERN and currently I'm messing around with the Higg's Boson, which I've captured in my coffee flask. All this stuff about CERN sabotaging itself from the future is rubbish, OK we've got a couple of Arch-Demons cooped up in the washrooms but it goes with the territory.

Top that, alanschu games developer person.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I work at CERN and currently I'm messing around with the Higg's Boson, which I've captured in my coffee flask. All this stuff about CERN sabotaging itself from the future is rubbish, OK we've got a couple of Arch-Demons cooped up in the washrooms but it goes with the territory.

Top that, alanschu games developer person.

It's Switzerland - the demons are the original inhabitants. ;)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I was trying to play Hitman Bloodmoney but evidently my Steam copy decided to trigger the copy protection and now I have to re-install the game via my disc copy -I don't feel like downloading 4.6 gigs- if I want to play the game without RM-related glitches. ;)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

If I ever find out who created the smoker cloud damage mod of Left 4 Dead I will have to hunt them down and hurt them severely. That has to be the single worst mod I've ever had the misfortune of playing with. I ended up in a survival server that had it on. With that mod it is impossible to pick up a smoker incapped survivor. The cloud prevents you from picking the person up right away and it lasts long enough that by the time you can pick them up, you've been swarmed by common infected or the next tank.

We made it to 9:39 on Generator room and died because no one could pick me up. 4 times we made it over 9 minutes, but lost because there was one guy that we couldn't pick up thanks to that damn mod.