Witcher 2 'leaked' video

Maria Caliban

Flashback images, that tie in the plot's current events with the future and the past, will now be actual in-game cutscenes, rendered in realtime and answering many of the questions from Geralt's past. Devs didn't say if Yennefer and Ciri will show up (they were pretty enigmatic about the lore characters).

Hype-o-meter rising.

NOOOOOO

He flashback images were beautiful, do not ditch those. For me, they were not only important from an aesthetic POW, but rather tied to the presentation and the atmosphere. When you had painted stills, the flow of the game felt more like a personal diary or like a novel. With a animated in-game shots, it will be more like a recap of a TV-episode.

They should also fix Geralts face, it looks like a quarterback instead of a callous, distant hunter. I also agree with Orogun01 about the "Hollywood-ize" the characters in terms of writing.

Other than that, the preview is making me giddy.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Like most games, The Witcher is apparently moving more mainstream and inevitably becoming less interesting.

It's weird how if I were first coming to video games now, I wouldn't even be remotely interested because they are for the most part so dull and predictable.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Like most games, The Witcher is apparently moving more mainstream and inevitably becoming less interesting.

It's weird how if I were first coming to video games now, I wouldn't even be remotely interested because they are for the most part so dull and predictable.

How exactly?

How what? How is The WItcher becoming more mainstream? Or how have video games become dull and predictable? Or how are video games dull and predicatble?

I'll answer all three. FRo convenience.

1) Don't know yet. And I hope it isn't. There's a smell in the air though.

2) Money

3) I used to buy 20-30 games a year. I've bought one game in the last 2. If they weren't dull and predictable, I'd stioll be buying them.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

3) I used to buy 20-30 games a year. I've bought one game in the last 2. If they weren't dull and predictable, I'd stioll be buying them.

Nice fault sillogism here. Still, I mostly agree with you about dull and boring games (I used to like action games before regen health) so I don't want to start a discussion.

Was basically interested in 'The Witcher 2 goin' mainstream and dull and boring'. Was hoping you could at least say something like 'no inventory limit + you can make potions everywhere'. -_-

"Three distinct story paths" mentioned by the preview sounds promising. Either focus on delving into Geralt's past, political intrigue or taking down the "assassins of kings" (e.g. the fat man & his Elven pretty boy).

Still, I'll believe it when I see it. The last game with three different story paths must have been Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Nice fault sillogism here. Still, I mostly agree with you about dull and boring games (I used to like action games before regen health) so I don't want to start a discussion.

lol. Yeah, that really didn't come out right, did it.

Was basically interested in 'The Witcher 2 goin' mainstream and dull and boring'. Was hoping you could at least say something like 'no inventory limit + you can make potions everywhere'. :)

Well, I could say quick-time events (IIrc qte's are in, I believe), Geralt's face v2.0, and the change to the flashbacks. But that's not enough to say, omg the game is going to hell, quite yet.

Still, I'm neeeervous.

Combat was pretty decent in WItcher 1 in OTS mode. I got pretty good at doing flips and spins and stuff and could take on quite a few enemies at once without being hit much. Still, a bit more tactical thought and variety would be welcome.

Combat was pretty decent in WItcher 1 in OTS mode. I got pretty good at doing flips and spins and stuff and could take on quite a few enemies at once without being hit much. Still, a bit more tactical thought and variety would be welcome.

The base system was fun, but (oooh!) it wasn't very RPG-y, in the sense that I really didn't feel I could create 'my' Geralt.

I still remember going to my DM's house for a D&D campaign and he was playing the Witcher and.. BAM! it occured me that he used his Geralt exactly the same way I use mine.

Some battle required a little bit of planning (basically 'choose the potions to use') but that was it. It still was fun, but the promise of interaction with environment (follow a monster to its lair if you feel like acting like a witcher), different combat/character styles (mage/alchemist/warrior) etc. is certainly.... promising (ok, bad pun :lol: ).

There is still the possibility of a failure, but for now I wanna stay on the positive side. :lol:

So, it seems Witcher 2 combat is going to be like Prince of Persia 4.

Insert rant about dumbing-down & consolization here: _______________________________________________

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

That's the case for me aswell last few years :x It is sad, that I had the most fun last year playing 5-15 years old games i purchased second hand... with very few exceptions like NWN2 + expansions, Drakensang, FFXIII and Witcher...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

• 1 month later...

Nice vid.. looks like I'm gonna have to reinstall the first one and redownload the updates and play it again. It's funny what hype can do, but these folks behind the Witcher seem to have integrity behind them enough to make a pretty unique game.

... so basically they made us wait weeks and weeks for a dev diary.. that repeats thing they've already said on the forums and interview?

The team seems very committed to the game (though the look in the eyes of the one that's talking about the 'erotic' side of the story is quite clearly that of a 14 years old hormone-driven gamer :lol: ) but I'd prefer to, you know, hear new informations. o:)

• 2 weeks later...

So much for trying to differentiate themselves from everybody else. Looks like their focus is all on "playing it safe". Good thing they didn't mention things like cinematic, immersive and action in the video or I might have revisited my lunch ;(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Playing it safe is better than recycling the combat system from the first game honestly... it was decent during its best moments, and absolutely atrocious during others.

EDIT : Of course, not having QTE in the final game would be a huge plus.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

It wasn't so much the combat system... I don't think it's changed much to be honest, besides adding more gore and "cinematic" flourishes. It's what I feel I can read between the lines about the game iteself, being all structured around setting up big boss battles, more effort going into minigames etc. If they also add QTE's, I'm going to hire a Voodoo priest to call curse down upon them ;(

It's like they've just got their own Polish translation of "Bland CRPG Making 101" and follow it to the letter. Reason enough for despair.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Gore and cinematic feeling were there in The Witcher, really... :ermm:

Not saying that it is a doomed game, just that the tings that they seem to emphasize since the initial announcement has made my expectations plummet like a rock. Positive surprises still happen ;(

Gore and cinematic feeling were there in The Witcher, really... :ermm:

Not saying that it is a doomed game, just that the tings that they seem to emphasize since the initial announcement has made my expectations plummet like a rock. Positive surprises still happen ;(

Have you done your homework? Visit their own home page and watch some interviews. To make your work easier, they have an unofficial FAQ thread even in their English board. So, do you feel there are too much of action going on? We know that already. That said, in fact, they increased the factors related with character customization, potion making, equipments, and modifications, which are not suitable for occasions such as E3. Even if you are not good at action games, probably, careful usage of these customization factors will be able to compensate for the lack of your skill in action game area if they are successful with what they are trying to do.

As for the E3 presentation, the fight seems to be bit clunky and I hope they will be able to polish it. Achieving higher accessibility while keeping depth is the key, as I said before (This is also the reason why I asked about weapon customizations in FO:NV, too. The message is: "I know polishing action part is important but please don't forget about character customization game-play"*). I hope they will be successful in achieving enough share of market to keep their business without producing confusing number of editions.

*As for the definition of RPG, personally, I'm inclined to agree with Sawyer but, in reality, his old players tend to regard character customization as an important part of RPG experience.