The New Classics

entrerix

You know... there are few games i played online for more than 1 year aswell, but would not count them as a classic... I played Counter-Strike online for 6 years... that is sign of classic :p and i am CRPG maniac here, i do not play FPS at all nowadays, but still i would mark some of the FPS amongst gaming classics... Quantity in many cases does not mark quality, I know that, because i am one of the millions of owners of Oblivion, and to this day i did not played it more than 10 minutes... But my sister loves it, but i dont think she would mark it as noteworthy few years in future... But I know she would mark GTA IV as a classic ;)

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Halo 3 hasn't been out for that long. If Halo 3 is the first online FPS you play, it will undoubtedly have a special place in your heart.

Sometimes I think that most of you here live in a different world where the mainstream doesn't exist and gaming has become some weird underground thing that only a few people do.

Edited by Purkake

Sometimes I think that most of you here live in a different world where the mainstream doesn't exist and gaming has become some weird underground thing that only a few people do.

And?

You actually live in a world where most gamers haven't heard about Planescape or Baldur's Gate and think that Oblivion is the best RPG ever.

And?

You actually live in a world where most gamers haven't heard about Planescape or Baldur's Gate and think that Oblivion is the best RPG ever.

Who cares?

We're here presumably because we know better.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Hmm, interesting ideas..

Forgive me if it's already been mentioned, but Rome Total War is now considered a classic and it's 5 years old now..

Mass Effect will most likely be on the list too, although I don't think it should. It'll be interesting to see if DA manages to push it off!

Stalker will probably hit the list too, for it's interesting setting.

Duke Nukem Forever, just for the amount of wasted hype and all the anger it inspired..

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time I know it's technically 6 years or 5.5? but I wanted to give it an honourable mention.

Diablo III will without a doubt be considered a classic, Blizzard would have to mess up utterly for that to fail..

Spore and I know what you're gonna say - and I agree! it's a ****ty game, but it's gonna inspire alot of games in the coming decades I think, which will redeem it in the end.

Sins of A Solar Empire/Galactic Civilizations II - for bringing the cool back into the space 4X genre..

CIV 4 of course, but all Civ games are almost always insta-classics..

Fortune favors the bald.

I have a feeling that the DA console ports(especially the PS3 one) aren't going to be so hot, at least compared to other built-for-console games.

I'd switch Spore out for the Sims franchise. I think most people have forgotten Spore already.

Edited by Purkake

Remember though (purkake)

you are right that average joe gamer doesnt consider torment or BG classics. he also never played fallout. but im talking about the games INDUSTRY, the press, the hardcore, the mainstream, the developers etc

the INDUSTRY as a whole looks at baldurs gate and torment as two of the best crpg's of all time. and as classics. look up any top 100 games of all time by a respected gaming journal/publication and those two games have a very decent shot at being on it.

that's the barometer of "classic" that I was aiming for with the thread. so just because a game is niche genre doesnt mean it won't be a "classic" of gaming in ten years and show up on some best games of all time lists.

and i should DEFINITELY have been more clear when making the thread :down:

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I think it will be very interesting to see whether spore becomes a classic of gaming, or a forgotten experiment...

lets all come back in 10 years and discuss what happened... loljk

maybe

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Most of the American "games journalists" grew up playing the NES and most of them haven't played any of the IE games if they have actually heard of them.

There's a reason why there are special PC gaming sites/blogs like RockPaperShotgun and PCGamer.

I'd say Spore has quite a bit of staying power with the younger generations. I grew up playing Sim City, I can see my daughter playing Spore for years to come.

That's the "lost generation" that plays weird flash games that no one over 15 has even heard of.

Edited by Purkake

I think the 'New Classics' will reflect developments in co-op play and graphics that gamers nowadays put a premium on.

Left4Dead (co-op) and Crysis (graphics) ain't exactly my cup of tea but I can see why people will remember them fondly as classics.

The CRPG cupboard is pretty much bare as far as modern classics are concerned, apart from MMORPGs, but I don't play those so I can't comment.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Left4Dead (co-op) and Crysis (graphics) ain't exactly my cup of tea but I can see why people will remember them fondly as classics.

Cheers

MC

I was going to add Left4Dead if no one else had.

Although I'm sure there are other co-op oriented games that do the co-op thing better, L4D is just damn fun.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

i have a feeling that left4dead was the beginning of a new era of coop. I wouldnt be surprised at all if Call of Duty and other series started incorporating many ideas that began in left4dead

i wholeheartedly agree that game will likely be remembered as a classic/trendsetter in future years

and duh! rockband/guitar hero! didnt even think of those but they basically created the new "social/party" games movement

and they showed that people will shell out cash for crazy peripherals so long as the game is good enough

i agree with that thinking re crysis, though i think its unlikely for far cry 2 to be looked at as a classic down the line, though from your tone it appears you feel the same

I'm not really seeing Crysis being a classic. It's a mediocre game with pretty graphics, you might just as well nominate Farcry 2, at least they tried some new stuff.

I agree. But speakinf of Crytek, Far Cry 1 was more of a classic than Crysis will ever hope to be. Far Cry 1 had a pretty big impact with its environment graphics as well as its big horizon and jungle creeping gameplay.

It also had Trigens, of course. Which deals it a serious blow.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

yeah farcry 1 DID change shooters a bit after it's release, it added stealth to traditional fps, and it had big environments to move around in instead of confined linearity.

I'm not really seeing Crysis being a classic. It's a mediocre game with pretty graphics, you might just as well nominate Farcry 2, at least they tried some new stuff.

I agree. But speakinf of Crytek, Far Cry 1 was more of a classic than Crysis will ever hope to be. Far Cry 1 had a pretty big impact with its environment graphics as well as its big horizon and jungle creeping gameplay.

It also had Trigens, of course. Which deals it a serious blow.

I agree, it was super special awesome until the damn Trigen showed up.